The Zone

The show, especially the music, entertained me. I couldn't care less about innovation, creativity, or meaning. But that may just be me.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I'm still wondering what was so innovative about it.

It was a good show. It was a very hard show. But innovative? 'Cmon. How? I remember hearing the ending and wondering why they chose to do a much less memorable arrangement of music Star did in a very innovative 1993 show.

And this is from someone who usually bows down to worship the MOST questionable products from old Holy Name!

I thought the Cadets 2005 show was terrific in all respects. From an ensemble standpoint; it was stellar. IMHO the colorguard was the "icing on the cake"; their body movement and equipment work was the closest thing to perfection I have witnessed in quite some time. I am typically so wrapped up in the drumline and the hornline that I don't pay much attention to the colorguard; this year was an exception to that rule. I believe the staging of the colorguard was such that it grabbed your attention. To see the guard grouped together as one entity with all the color and movement was the reason it grabbed my attention. Perhaps there were times in the show they were not integrated with the corps proper; in my opinion that was intentional percisely for the reason I just mentioned. I was captivated by this show; there was so much for the eyes and ears to take in that I also find myself enjoying the show more with each viewing. I did not see any weaknesses and that in and of itself will make this show one for the ages. I say kudos to the Cadets and their instructional staff; I will watch and rewatch this show, not "to get it", simply to be caught up in "The Zone"!!!

It doesn't have to be, but that is one way it can be enjoyed. One good thing about drum corps is that there can be a show like the Zone and another one like Regiment's Gershwin...both are, IMO, equally enjoyable.

Yes, you should. :blink::bleah::lol:

j/k

Mike

:P I've been over "it" for a long time now... :)

I guess the corps running around the whole show isn't enough for you guys. These guys barely had a second to breath if it werent' for the ballad it would have been non-stop running. Maybe the show ended that way on purpose. so the audience would be like WTF was that. Who knows but all i know is when i watched the closer and liquid and machine and saw how much those guys were running around and hauling a** I couldn't believe it. Look at the drill during the tenor feature in machine that is incredible. Look at Kill Bill during the pit stuff when there making the blocks and the lil stair step things thats insane. cmon thats some running and you can't deny that. Give them a break. And like it or not they are your current DCI world champions. :blink::bleah::lol:

I guess the corps running around the whole show isn't enough for you guys. These guys barely had a second to breath if it werent' for the ballad it would have been non-stop running. Maybe the show ended that way on purpose. so the audience would be like WTF was that. Who knows but all i know is when i watched the closer and liquid and machine and saw how much those guys were running around and hauling a** I couldn't believe it. Look at the drill during the tenor feature in machine that is incredible. Look at Kill Bill during the pit stuff when there making the blocks and the lil stair step things thats insane. cmon thats some running and you can't deny that. Give them a break. And like it or not they are your current DCI world champions. :blink::bleah::lol:

I did like it. And they did deserve to win. I'm just waiting for somebody, ANYBODY, to tell me what was so innovative about it.

I don't think the concept was hard to get, the music particularly challenging or "intellectual", or any of it particularly weird or new. It was a bit quirky (hello, it's the ****ing Cadets!), and I liked the schoolgirl plants in the audience beforehand, but those who were "blown away" by this show's newness or innovation, I have to ask again.

What SPECIFICALLY did they do this year that hasn't been done before?

I guess the corps running around the whole show isn't enough for you guys. (snip) Give them a break. And like it or not they are your current DCI world champions. :blink::bleah::lol:

Was someone complaining that their show wasn't visually demanding? I guess I missed that. Also, I don't think anyone is disputing that they are the current DCI champs. But, to borrow your line, "like it or not," this show is up for as much criticism, analysis, and evaluation as any other.

What SPECIFICALLY did they do this year that hasn't been done before?

There isn't one thing they did that I haven't seen before in some realm of the marching arts. They certainly incorporated what they did in a fairly unique way to support their theme, and no doubt they did it well. But I'm inclined to agree with you in terms of your comments about innovation.

There isn't one thing they did that I haven't seen before in some realm of the marching arts. They certainly incorporated what they did in a fairly unique way to support their theme, and no doubt they did it well. But I'm inclined to agree with you in terms of your comments about innovation.

well they are the first in DCI to bring that idea to the field...if you wanna include all 80 million marching bands in the country, what has been done in DCI concept-wise that hasnt been done before? My guess is nothing in the last 5-10 years or so...

They were in pure Cadets mode. (I would say they had the crowd more emotionally jacked in Madison 2002).

What made them special this year is they took a risk and it paid off. The performers sold the snot out of it and the crowd bit. Bravo!

I don't think Cavies could have pulled off having 4 guys running out of a door in school girl uniforms.

If Phantom Regiment would have tried this they would have recieved a letter from Vatican, OMG!

BD nah not their thing. But if push came to shove they might try using iron gates.

Only one corps could pull this off. They knew it and they threw down.

Mom