Undefeated Seasons

there is a possiblity that St Vincent's Cadets of Bayonne may have in the 50's but man it is really hard to research!!!!! The won VFW nationals quite a few times but there just isn't a lot of scores from back then

"St Vinnie's Undefeated":

Yes, my pretties there is a very good posiblity that the "Big Green Band" did go "UD" not only onece but twice "Way Back" in the early 1950s. It appears that through the seasons of 1951 through 1953 they managed to win the "Round Robin" (Both Veterans State and National Championships) in 1951 and 1952.

Danny Feldstien has written in Drum Corps News (And reprinted in St Vincent's History) that: "From 1950 through 1954 St Vincents lost only two contests, of which one loss was questionable. From 1946 through 1956 they won nine VFW National titles."

The St Vincent's "History" is also unclear on this point, saying only: " In 1952 St Vincents so dominated the field that they won every contest they entered". We would really appreciate a veteran of the "Vinnie's" of that era to set the record straight.

The old Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights came pretty close to "UD" seasons in 1960 (One loss to St Vincents and winning the VFW Natioanls) and 1963 (losing only to St Kevins one time, and the Garfield Cadets, twice while marching off with the Legion National and World Open titles).

The Chcago Cavaliers had an undefeated season in 1961, winning the VFW National Championship.

The Boston Crusaders had very near "perfect" records in 1967 and 1968 (Winning the World Open & CYO Nationals in 1967) with an incredible number of victories (In both seasons they went soemthing like 20+ striaght before a loss) and Santa Clara Vanguard lost only one contest, to the Casper Troopers in 1973 while winning their first DCI Championship.

Madison Scouts wre "UD" in their Championship Year of 1975.

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

They can think that all they want if it makes them feel better, but a loss is a loss is a loss. They came in 2nd at DCI Midwest Prelims in 1975. No undefeated season for them.

In 1975 I adored the Scouts, but there is a 2nd place logged in in 1975....

1 Santa Clara Vanguard 86.700

2 Madison Scouts 86.550

3 Blue Devils 84.900

4 Blue Stars 82.200

5 Kilties 81.050

6 Cavaliers 79.150

7 Phantom Regiment 78.750

8 Freelancers 68.400

9 Pioneer 67.600

10 Guardsmen 67.300

11 Americanos 66.800

12 Colt 45s 65.000

13 Emerald Knights 62.150

14 Geneseo Knights 60.000

15 CapitolAires 59.000

16 Silver Sabres 49.250

17 Klondike 47.250

18 Des Plaines Vanguard 46.950

19 Mounties 43.900

20 Scarlet Knights 43.000

21 Skokie Imperials 38.350

22 Blackhawk Voyageurs 32.100

The toughest thing has to be going undefeated and losing DCI.

It's almost like you want to get that loss out of the way early. You know, during the course of the season, the odds are against you for going undefeated. Once you get up to perlims and finals, you're hoping those odds don't kick in.

Tell me about it!! :P

'count me in the crowd that believes that prelim competitions count. They are scored separately and should stand on their own IMO. A loss is a loss...

what about magic 02? i thought they were undefeated in division II?

They may have gone undefeated in DIV II, but then they had 3 competitions in DIV I and they were beat by 10 other corps, so I wouldn't consider Magic 02 an undefeated season.

My ring says "UNDEFEATED" on it, so it must be true. ;-)

In 1951 and 1952 they won the round robin, VFW & AL National & NJ State titles, the only corps ever to do so.

Hmmm... a mission. I know we won both VFW and Amer. Leg. in 67 but not sure about the Ill. State title. I'll ask my REALLY old Alumni :blink: But, it is quite impressive that you guys did it 2 years in a row! WOW.