What would happen if...

t-mac

If a) Crown uses a different arranger that could increase demand more (i.e. a Jay Bocook) or they choose a show concept that allows for more flowing movement of lines, then they could get the GE and brass scores higher and make an even larger push upwards.

I hear Prime is available.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear Prime is available.

... interesting :devin:

And to end the Klesch bashing... I think that if something were indeed wrong with MK's arrangements (which there is not at all) one would think that Jimmer would have set him (MK)straight back in the 80's when he was at the Cadets. Since afterall... Klesch did indeed learn a good part of his craft from Jimmer. But if you have had the privledge to meet Jimmer or Michael (which I seriously doubt many of you have) you would realize that they still go about doing things in similar ways. Although they are two totally differant personalities. Jim Prime is one of the most soft spoken people I have ever had the chance to meet (speak softly and write big chords). Whereas Klesch is somewhat arrogant at times... he has confidence in his product and so do the corps that perform it. He writes to the level of talent... I think it must have either been what tubaman said about his rings and trophies... or maybe he was just trying to say that your "MARCHING BAND" sucks! Some day in the possibly near future Michael Klesch will indeed be voted in to the DCI hall of fame for his contributions to the activity and will some day be looked upon just as Jim Prime and Wayne Downey are.

Hmmm... If the judges that DCI currently has can't see the differance then what needs to be done with them? Should DCI give you a call??? I'm thinking a big NO on that one. Execution is not the issue... execution was a major part of the game for both corps. Crown was visually executing in areas of performance better than the Cadets for a small chunk of the season according to your beloved judges.

Who says they can't see a difference?

Under the excellence subcaptions on the visual side (which are the execution portion of the scoring I believe. Half of the total caption scores are how good what you are given is (marching technique, percussion book, etc) and the other half is how good you execute what you are given):

Visual Performance 9.9 to 8.8

Visual Ensemble 9.8 to 9.2

Colorguard 9.9 to 9.2

Looks to me like the judges saw a clear difference between Crown and the Cadets. I would list the same things for the music side, but they are very similar.

I'm not sure what this has to do with the fact that Crown was visually executing better than the Cadets at the beginning of the season. Things change over the course of the season, corps get better at different rates, etc.

Also, I make no claims that DCI should call me up and give me a green shirt, I've listened to judges tapes and I sure as #### couldn't do that.

... interesting :devin:

And to end the Klesch bashing... I think that if something were indeed wrong with MK's arrangements (which there is not at all) one would think that Jimmer would have set him (MK)straight back in the 80's when he was at the Cadets. Since afterall... Klesch did indeed learn a good part of his craft from Jimmer. But if you have had the privledge to meet Jimmer or Michael (which I seriously doubt many of you have) you would realize that they still go about doing things in similar ways. Although they are two totally differant personalities. Jim Prime is one of the most soft spoken people I have ever had the chance to meet (speak softly and write big chords). Whereas Klesch is somewhat arrogant at times... he has confidence in his product and so do the corps that perform it. He writes to the level of talent... I think it must have either been what tubaman said about his rings and trophies... or maybe he was just trying to say that your "MARCHING BAND" sucks! Some day in the possibly near future Michael Klesch will indeed be voted in to the DCI hall of fame for his contributions to the activity and will some day be looked upon just as Jim Prime and Wayne Downey are.

You hit the nail on the head..though I wasn't slamming my man's marching band, per se, just saying that he probobly doesn't have thw whole story..(and may have issues with his band director..) :sshh:

The point is that MK has written at the championship level for years..his trophy collection, as well as the undying respect of those he has taught and created for are a testament to that! :blink:

Lets move on..best of luck to both corps for 2006! :)

Nope..he was at Star by then.

That's what I was looking for. After the Garfield Cadets pulled off that juggernaut of 1985, the entire design staff (and their little follower techs) defected to Star of Indiana. (These designers DID create Star's 1985 1st-year show but mostly toured w/ Garfield).

So... with the best staff of the 1980's AND unlimited funds, we all thought Star would make the top 5 easily in 1986. Nope, they did manage 8th, and Garfield beat them by over 5 points and 4 placements. The various flies on the wall all said that the designers were just trying to show off (what crap they attempted early on! hamster wheels???). Anyhow, after that, they were fired and returned to Garfield for that magnificent "Appalachian Spring" championship, while Star took a few more years to find themselves. Ironically, it was Garfield's George Zingali who wrote that SICK drill for Star's 1991 win. (If I were a Star mellophone player that year, I'd have my inner ear checked after doing that. :blink: )

And on the same topic, if USC's football coaching staff all went to, say, Baylor or Vanderbilt, would they win the NC right out of the gate? A great staff can design and teach, but more needs to click. Right?

Did it occur to you that maybe your band's budget did'nt allow for superior custome arrangements?? MK writes good stuff, corps and bands..I have heard both. Believe me when I say there is no man (except maybe Chuck N.) that is more versed in music or is less maticulous about the music he is working with.. :rolleyes:

OR>>>

He was too busy polishing his 4 DCI championship rings and his Jim Ott trophies to write great arrangements!! ^0^

I know in the neighborhood of what our band has to work with. We're funded by a Division 1-A athletic department. In the past three years we've gotten new sousas, baritones, mellophones, piccolos, uniforms for 300+, and -- thanks to sponsorships by Pearl, Evans, and IP -- new drum equipment. There are bands that get way more press than we do that would kill for our budget. That being said, we're not getting the same level of stuff from Klesch that we have gotten from other arrangers (including students). That's not to belittle his writing abilities, because the stuff that he does for corps is amazing, but it seems that it doesn't transfer well to band. Perhaps he needs to quit polishing his rings and trophies and provide better material to a group that is purchasing 9 arrangements per year from him (that's 27 charts he's provided for us so far). I have to wonder, though, if he might be stretched a bit thin. Crown, UMass, our group...no telling who else. Perhaps he's shortchanging some of his band clients in favor of his Crown and UMass duties (which, rightfully, do come first).

Bonus Question: Who was Star's arranger in 1985? Larry Kerchner!

You know what's weird?

Both April Gilligan works with a first place DCI guard (least I think she still does) and Rosie Miller works with Crown who I think got sixth in the guard caption (not too sure).

During the winterguard season, Rosie Miller works with Pride of Cincinnati Winterguard (First place in 01, second 02, second 03, 3 or fourth in 04, and 1st in 05) and April Gilligan heads up Braddock Independent (7th in 05..I forgot the other placements).

Weird no?

Has anyone taken the time to research the resumes of the current Crown brass staff? Your research might void this topic...

Nope. The topic is still valid, because the topic is dealing with what would have happened last year. And as impressive as Crown's brass staff's resumes are, the facts remain: they finished 7th in brass.