High Colorguard through the years

Byron

well - I loved BD's guard too (both those years btw) but 90 wasn't close / should have been Cadets / and then in 92 Cadets got ripped again but at least that year BD's guard was close. 90 was a joke - IMO. BD was great / always is / but Cadets were clearly in a league of their own

You and I have discussed this topic for years (LOL) and for the most part I agree with you. I do see why overall, BD was given high guard. Although the content of the Cadets in 1990 "seems" more demanding", the radical change and/or "update" of their(Blue Devils) program and the use of radical, non traditional equipment is what gave them the nod. They took their program, updated it,and took it to new levels of achievement.

The same thing happened in 1992, I dont care, in any way, for the whole "Man loves a woman" segment, but the guards presence, as a whole, throughout the show is what was rewarded, and some really clean ensemble rifle work, along with some GE packed flag work and the use of body. Also, notice how many different ways the equipment is handled by the BD guard, their work every year is new, inovative and refreshing, never a re-hash from a design standpoint.

1992 Cadets was simply dazzling, ensemble-wise flawless....however, and this is truly a stretch becuase it really is one of the best guard shows ever, notice the actual work, notice hand positions, and notice impact points, all predictable and done before in 91, and 90 by Cadets....could be the reason they didnt walk away with the guard trophy, imo.

~G~

Edited by GMichael1230

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey all,

A couple of other great guards that missed getting the title

The 2001 Cadets Juxtaposition - great show. Those comma things must have been hard to spin. And the flag work in the ballad was simply incredible.

YES...sometimes I put that show on just to watch the guard in the ballad. Absolutely beautiful, love the color of the silks in that show in general...blue during Moondance, that green in the ballad, and red in the closer...even love the uniforms, too.

Hey all,

A couple of other great guards that missed getting the title

The 1986 Spirit of Atlanta - the "hottest" version of Sweet Georgia Brown I've ever seen

Later,

Mike

Funny you should mention 86 Spirit of Atlanta, had it not been for the larger than life Blue Devils, SOA would have guard trophys in 85, 86, and 87 and a fourth place finish in 1988 too. A completely under appreciated guard.

~G~

Isn't it strange that 27th won the color guard award every year I marched :P :P :P

JohnJohn, I cannot thank you enough for all of your help during those years we won the trophy!! Man, you sure DID make the difference! :angry::lol::angry::angry::wub:

Thanks again!! :lol: :P :lol:

well - I loved BD's guard too (both those years btw) but 90 wasn't close / should have been Cadets / and then in 92 Cadets got ripped again but at least that year BD's guard was close. 90 was a joke - IMO. BD was great / always is / but Cadets were clearly in a league of their own

The one that really gets me is 1992...what a great year for the Cadets, in the larger picture i think they should have won the whole enchilada as well.

Another year im not so sure i agree with is 1995. I love the whole dark Blue Devils show, but to me the Cadets guard made that show...they told the whole story and that has to be one of the best flag lines ive ever seen. I love the whole silent work part after the mello intro and before the first loud chords of the show.

I also find it amazing that it took until 2000 for Cavies guard to win the caption...they had some spectacular guards through the 80's and 90's...

M

it is a little surprising to me too, but if you look back to the early-mid 90's especially, the work is demanding and clean but also dated...it wasnt as progressive as what BD and Cadets were doing at the time. Id say they caught up in the late 90's.

Another year im not so sure i agree with is 1995. I love the whole dark Blue Devils show, but to me the Cadets guard made that show...they told the whole story and that has to be one of the best flag lines ive ever seen. I love the whole silent work part after the mello intro and before the first loud chords of the show.

Yeah, and its the same exact work they do every year. Same set up, same release, same transitions, same phrasing, same setups going into impact, same hand positions, same planes being attacked...same everything, clean as a whistle, pretty to look at, but nothing new, and too much story telling and downtime

~G~

Funny you should mention 86 Spirit of Atlanta, had it not been for the larger than life Blue Devils, SOA would have guard trophys in 85, 86, and 87 and a fourth place finish in 1988 too. A completely under appreciated guard.

~G~

I agree wholeheartedly !! LOL

Great guards, great kids, great staff.

Here's one of those young ladies that wowed all the boys that summer....

gin87A.jpg

Spirit Guard 87

And here's the look I'll get when she realizes I posted this on the web

gin87thelook.jpg

Thanks for remembering those great guards that Sal, Scott and Tam put out in those years.

Later, AA

Edited by nhsalan

Best guard in my opinion:

Blue Devils 1999 :ph34r::ph34r::music:

*opening and ending flag work=> PERFECT

*entire unit working the rifles during the second production=> INTENSE

*entire unit working the sabres during the ballad=> PASSIONATE

*best use of dance, ever.

perfect marriage of technique and performance..

'nuff said.

do i hear a second?

Edited by just_another_fanatic