DCI Top 4

MikeN

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those that do not know, Phantom Regiment indeed won a championship in 1996. They , along with another corps, the Blue Devils, scored the highest on finals night and tied for the title. Both corps were awarded a championship and both corps share the title, of equal weight and award to both organizations.

~G~

G and I almost NEVER agree :P ....but on this one we do. Both corps won the championship, as both corps received the top score at finals.

Phantom's tie aside, my point was that only 5 corps have placed in the top 4 every year for 10 years now. Add Madison and Star of Indiana and it's the same 7 corps in the top 4 every year for 24 years now.

Mike

Along a simiar line...at the VFW Nats from 64-70....

Of 28 top 4 slots....21 were taken by the same 4 corps....2 others took the next 3 each...and 1 corps took the remaining slot.

So...27 of 28 top four slots were taken by six corps.

fyi...the Cavies appeared the most....all seven years...just like now! Talk about consistency!

Troopers....six

BAC....four

Kilties...four

Des Plaines....three

Royal Airs...three

Blessed Sac....one

G and I almost NEVER agree :P ....but on this one we do. Both corps won the championship, as both corps received the top score at finals.

Thats the magic (problem) with discussion boards. In reality, you and I agree on a lot, however, the things we dont agree on are so extreme, its always whats highlighted...I guess we disagree on THIS too, huh ??(LOL)

~G~

Phantom's tie aside, my point was that only 5 corps have placed in the top 4 every year for 10 years now. Add Madison and Star of Indiana and it's the same 7 corps in the top 4 every year for 24 years now.

Let's take it further.

Do you think that this form of consistency is a negative thing in any way?

Do you see the next decade or two producing the same results?

The tie breaker rule, unless it has changed since it was instituted before the 2001 season is as follows (from what I can remember):

If a corps ties in overall score, the ordinal score is used to break the tie. The corps with the lowest ordinal score take the title. An ordinal is the ranking of the 12 corps in a specific caption. If a corps wins the caption, they get a "1", 2nd place gets a "2" and so on. The corps with the lowest total ordinal score wins (Cadets in 2005 would have had the lowest possible ordinal score of 9).

And so, to put the matter to rest: If the tie-breaker rule had been in effect in 1996, the ordinal scores would have been:

Blue Devils: 1.7

Phantom: 1.5

Making Phantom the winner (remember, lowest ordinal score wins the tie).

And so, to put the matter to rest: If the tie-breaker rule had been in effect in 1996, the ordinal scores would have been:

Blue Devils: 1.7

Phantom: 1.5

Making Phantom the winner (remember, lowest ordinal score wins the tie).

Actually, the ordinal score is not an average of their caption placements...the ordinal score is determined by adding together the placement for each caption. In 1996, Phantom and Blue Devils would have both had an ordinal score of 13. So, then the champion would have been decided by General Effect, which went to Phantom. But...I still feel like there is a 3rd tie-breaking element that I'm forgetting...

M

Actually, the ordinal score is not an average of their caption placements...the ordinal score is determined by adding together the placement for each caption. In 1996, Phantom and Blue Devils would have both had an ordinal score of 13. So, then the champion would have been decided by General Effect, which went to Phantom. But...I still feel like there is a 3rd tie-breaking element that I'm forgetting...

Actually, doing it that way, Phantom had an ordinal of 12, BD had one of 13. There was one caption that BD took 3rd in which brought them to a 13.