Kids in Alumni Corps

We are kind of like an alumni corps but our attitude is, take all comers. kids cant be shriners but their welcome to march non shrine events.

There’s just no girls allowed

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they are the future of your corps. sure they may go march DCI and DCA. but when it's time to go back to alumni, they'll remember their roots.

I always thought of Alumni Corps as the last stop in the progression, not the first. I don't think any Alumni Corps was established to be the training grounds for DCI or DCA.

Maybe it's just me, but I would not have the same impression of Hawthorne Alumni if I saw 15 year olds in their ranks.

Another problem I have seen with kids in Alumni Corps is, they tend to put the needs of the corps last on their list of priorities. School sports, band, school work, competitive corps that they may be involved with are all higher on their list. Along with, they just don't feel like it today. To the contrairy of what Shadow7 stated, I have never seen a kid that made a good solid dependable member in Alumni Corps.

I guess if these kids are going to be well looked after then it should be ok, although it really makes the designation of alumni corps pointless. I think the solution is that once you open up membership to non alumni, you shouldnt bill yourself as an alumni corps anymore. Kind of a truth in advertising thing IMO.

i was assistant drum mahor in Joes at the age of Six, and thats on of th years you mention as when the rule was in effect, so i believe your mistaken....lol

Another problem I have seen with kids in Alumni Corps is, they tend to put the needs of the corps last on their list of priorities. School sports, band, school work, competitive corps that they may be involved with are all higher on their list. Along with, they just don't feel like it today. To the contrairy of what Shadow7 stated, I have never seen a kid that made a good solid dependable member in Alumni Corps.

To me this is a very ignorant statement, as most likley i KNOW the kids who you are refering to, and i know their heat is all for it, you must know the kids i am talking about very well at all, maybe it was because of your bias (not completely the word im looking for there) you may avoid them. So your saying, that no under 21er can make a good corps mate... BOLOGNA MY FRIEND BOLOGNA!!!aha....i love this.... Marry Xmas

I guess if these kids are going to be well looked after then it should be ok, although it really makes the designation of alumni corps pointless. I think the solution is that once you open up membership to non alumni, you shouldnt bill yourself as an alumni corps anymore. Kind of a truth in advertising thing IMO.

I'm expecting a new term for what we now call Alumni corps in the next decade or so. Same reason as changing from Senior to All Age to give a better idea of what is really going on. Started a thread on this a few months ago and you can count on one hand the number of performing Alumni corps that are 100% past members. In fact at least one has dropped "Alumni" (Erie) from the name because of this reason.

Interesting reading the responses as each corps has a different mentality, types of performances and membership base all mixed in together. As a result each corps has a different "blend". Westshoremen Alumni has the "Once and Done (maybe) at the old home show" mentality. Lancers Alumni are more the "Town Band that happens to be a Drum Corps" mentality as there is a lot of local pride (and high percentage of locals) in the Hanover crew.

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

Not that it means anything but I agree with my friend Benny. For many of the same reasons but also the opposite reason. Alumni corps should be for adults. Most kids usually find out quick that it is not for them, but there are some that dont. My son went with me a few times but didnt want to do it. He didnt like being around all adults. He found that a DCA all age corps was a better fit.

A director of an unnamed alumni corps got mad because kids that were in both groups...DCA and Alumni, went to a DCA competition instead of an Alumni exhibition. I would figure that any alumni director that had people that also were in competing corps would understand that competitions would come first.

I know that certain people were put in an awkward place in this conversation. <**>

Donny

Edited by donnymusic

I guess I don't get it. There's too many arguments to be made about it. I mean, when I hear the term "Alumni Corps" I think to myself "ok, alums of that said corps." Chances are half of the people in the Alumni Corps didn't perform with the corps that they're supposed to be alumni of. Ok, sorry about that, it's just always been something I found amusing.

Now I guess for something relevant. I marched with the CT Alumni and Marksmen Alumni for years. I just turned 18 this past year and have also been marching DCI and I spent the last few weeks on a DCA schedule as well. So needless to say, I've hit most of the arenas. ok, so why Alumni Corps? Well, most kids in Alumni corps are there with their parents, and I personally took it as an opportunity to bond with my father who was marching as well. It was something we had in common. Let's see.....it was fun, and I learned a lot. People never seemed to really have a problem with me being there, and welcomed me along with other teens. Mind you, I was younger than 10 when I started marching and quickly became "one of the guys." Not that they took me out drinking or whatever, BUT, they had fun talking to me, joking around with me, passing on their knowledge about music, life, and everything in between. I mean, what difference does it make if the adults swear and drink. Chances are, if their parents are bringing them to rehearsal, the kids have seen it before. Just watch 10 minutes of TV, you'll find it somewhere. That being said, I don't see why adults would have to restrict behavior.

On another note, the whole teens not being good alumni members is not true. I myself, cannot say that I was. Because I live far enough away from both of them but they were gracious enough to let me go play with them. and mind you, it's not like I was lagging behind everyone else either. HOWEVER....I do know people who have been with these corps for many years, many of whom, are more reliable than the adult corps members.

just my little tidbit. sorry if it's long.

I always thought of Alumni Corps as the last stop in the progression, not the first. I don't think any Alumni Corps was established to be the training grounds for DCI or DCA.

Maybe it's just me, but I would not have the same impression of Hawthorne Alumni if I saw 15 year olds in their ranks.

the kids we have give their all to the corps. they dont treat us like an after thought.

and some kids dont have the time to give to DCI or DCA, but their local alumni corps may have the schedule that works for them.

as long as we teach them drum corps, who cares which they go? the point is, they are learning the joy of performing in a drum and bugle corps

we had that discussion before, and to a point i agree.

but since all age is taken, what do we call them? ####, some "alumni corps" do more of a tribute to other corps in their shows than they do to themselves