• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2003 RCR people know this one:

"I like butterflys!"

SCD likes them, too!!!

"Wooooeee! You gotta have a note from your momma to watch this!"

Goes down as the funniest thing I've heard from a judge.

Wow....gotta agree there!! Must've been a hoot the first time the corps heard that!

Years ago during the tick system, I remember hearing my friend who was a mello saying she saw a judge go behind her. She hoped he moved out of the way before she did a quick turn to the back.....nope....she hit him! Then he came up to her in her face, stroke the piece of paper and said loudly, "TICK!" ^0^

I truly thought that was wrong on his part! I mean geez, he was in the way! :sshh:

Yah....that was wrong....part of their job is top stay out of the way.

Did your friend get points for hitting the judge? (heh)

I don't have the 2002 DVDs. What did he say?

Some quotes:

"I didn't know drum corps could be like this!"

"You guys have redefined the idiom"

Lots of laughing and gushing and fawning over the show. You can do that professionally, and then you can do what this guy did.

Yah....that was wrong....part of their job is top stay out of the way.

Did your friend get points for hitting the judge? (heh)

You know, this happens all of the time these days too. While I respect the judge who wants to "get into the action," I'm tired of watching judges cause falls during performances. One of these days a member is going to get injured and sue the pants off of DCI.

Comment by a judge in 2001 during the bagpipe effect The Kilties used in the closer. To paraphrase, "that bagpipe effect you're doing with the sopranos......it sounds kinda out of tune". :blink: No kidding!! :P Hadn't he ever heard bagpipes before??

Bagpipe effect formula: good sopranos play bad + bad sopranos play loud=bagpipes b**bs (plus ya gotta be The Kilties!!

When VK was re-entered competition in 1981, after a season off, we were taking our usual hard knocks with a rookie corps. We spent most critiques gleaning information and asking specific questions about comments on tape or score sheet. But we were on very good terms with the judges.

Until one show in particular. After listening to the tape, we were wondering whose show he had been watching. Items "keyed" on the tape referred to phrases we didn't even have in the book, and he trashed us, score-wise, after a few shows of steady improvement, and scored us quite differently than the other field judge.

It was the only time I went off in a critique. He said, "Did you listen to the tape?" "I'm listening right now!" I said, as I held the cassette to my ear, and yanked several feet of tape out of the cassette and on to the floor.

But the story gets better when VK hires the guy to be on staff the next season. Fortunately we both had a good sense of humor and laughed about it over a couple of beers.

Garry

You know, this happens all of the time these days too. While I respect the judge who wants to "get into the action," I'm tired of watching judges cause falls during performances. One of these days a member is going to get injured and sue the pants off of DCI.

Check out Madison 96 on the video right after the drum break Malaguena. Mello player rams the percussion judge. CLASSIC!!!

Some quotes:

"I didn't know drum corps could be like this!"

"You guys have redefined the idiom"

Lots of laughing and gushing and fawning over the show. You can do that professionally, and then you can do what this guy did.

well, he was "feeling" the show... =)

but the quotes are just real... that's what that show did. but I guess this belongs to another endless topic... =)