Mean judges

In 1986, when we had just signed a contract with Sabian for brand-new, gorgeous (and free!) cymbals, one judge said our China-boy cym in the pit "sounded like a garbage can." A brand-new China. What does one do with that kind of, ahem, "critique?"

"Hunt him like a rodent across the frozen tundra" H.S.Thompson

This wasn't directed at our section, but when it was accidentally heard by the rest of the corps, it was kind of raw. There was a drum Judge in 1975, a rather robust fellow b**bs ,who had made the comment that our drumline was like a finely tuned, brand new Mercedes amongst a parking lot of beat up old clunkers and should be driven off to sanctuary as soon as is heavenly possible. I paraphrase, but that is the jist.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember a jazz band festival my HS performed at. We were a small band (6 directors in 5 years does that.) Anyway, we had NO trombones...as in zero. Our director took some extra tenor sax players and put them on the trombone parts. At the festival, one judge made comments to the effect of "you need to move the trombones, they're not visible on stage". Another judge kept complimenting the "bones" as well. We didn't care that we didn't score particularly well; we figured the judges left something to be desired if they couldn't even tell the difference between a trobmone and a tenor sax.

We changed a very exposed bass run, but the #3 bass had a brain cramp at the next show and played the old parts -- and out of time, even. One of the percussion judges remarked, "that sounded like potatoes rolling down stairs." I don't know if it was particularly mean or cruel, though, because he was right and we knew it!

At the next show, we nailed it and got a much better response from that night's judge: "Oh my f%#@&*g God!"

The funniest Shirley Whitcomb tape I heard - In 86 about 2 hrs before our performance our staff decided to teach us a dance feature and put it in the show that night. It was Lancaster PA if I recall.

Well anyway, If any of you saw Dutch Boy that year - the guard rushes to the front sideline during James Bond and rips off their skirts to reveal gold and silver lamez (sp?) underwear for a dance feature.

The music came,, we were all psyched ,, we ripped of our skirts and started dancing.... Shirley was having one right there in the booth... that's great, wow , great effect... and so on... UNTIL 20 girls completely forgot the rest of the dance feature...NOT PRETTY!!! The comments were suddenly oh, oh, oh OH, OH, OOOOOH um I think that will require some work!

We played that part of the tape over and over and just killed ourselves laughing. I don't think the staff found it as funny ... we rehearsed after the show that nightand late into the evening until we knew the dance lol. (Even the horn and drum line knew the dance after that night!) b**bs

The funniest Shirley Whitcomb tape I heard - In 86 about 2 hrs before our performance our staff decided to teach us a dance feature and put it in the show that night. It was Lancaster PA if I recall.

Well anyway, If any of you saw Dutch Boy that year - the guard rushes to the front sideline during James Bond and rips off their skirts to reveal gold and silver lamez (sp?) underwear for a dance feature.

The music came,, we were all psyched ,, we ripped of our skirts and started dancing.... Shirley was having one right there in the booth... that's great, wow , great effect... and so on... UNTIL 20 girls completely forgot the rest of the dance feature...NOT PRETTY!!! The comments were suddenly oh, oh, oh OH, OH, OOOOOH um I think that will require some work!

We played that part of the tape over and over and just killed ourselves laughing. I don't think the staff found it as funny ... we rehearsed after the show that nightand late into the evening until we knew the dance lol. (Even the horn and drum line knew the dance after that night!) b**bs

Ahhhh....Shirly tapes......fun to listen to....would love to hear one from 84 BD...

Kinda wish she'd done finals....

So good to see that Shirley didn't change after I marched in junior corps. Shirley Whitcomb tapes were ALWAYS fun and interresting to listen to. Even back then, it was like having your mom judging the show. (Well, maybe if mom had a little more critical eye :) .)

I recall talking after 04 finals in Denver with some SCV alums who hated Mike DeAngelo. Don't remember the story but can anybody share why? I believed he was judging Percussion in the late 80's and early 90's.[

Funny how things come back after over 3 decades, but I recall clear as day, a show in 1970 - we (Racine Jr. Kilties/pre DCI) won the show, it was somewhere in Illinois, and I was given the honor and privilege of meeting with the head drum judge after the show for the "debrief" - I'll never forget that he said - "you guys just didn't get me excited tonight!"

Don't even know why I remember that! We also won top drums, but I'll never forget that little moment - though the judge wasn't "mean" in the classical sense, I was a 16 year old snare drummer and wasn't used to such honesty!

not from drum corps, but from a marching band I was doing visual for... small group, not all that competative, and the judge just happened to be my former HS band director. But his exact words... "This is horrible" <**>

Ouch!