Madison Scouts pit

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Madison is hardly a "much better corps" than they "ever" have been. Are they improved over the 2002 corps, probably....but I would honestly put any of those other shows up against 2004 and 2005. Besides, drum corps is a completely different ball game than it was in the 70's, 80's, and 90's. But you wouldn't know that, you are probably new to drum corps in the past 5-6 years.

The 2005 Scouts are my all-time favorite Scouts....and I go back to 1970 seeing them.

Madison is a much better corps than they ever have been in the past, and guess what guys, things change.

Uh.....whoops.

I liked the aussies in the pit. Anyone suspect that McNutt just thought it was impractical, or something like that? I wouldn't doubt it.

The 2005 Scouts are my all-time favorite Scouts....and I go back to 1970 seeing them.

I don't think there are enough of these icons: :worthy: to describe the disbelief with which I read that sentence.

Scouts' 05 show was by far my least favorite Scouts' show ever (in the DCI era, that is). Give me 2002 over 05 any day.

Different strokes, I suppose.

And as much as people like to talk about how every corps has changed, I think the reason so many people mention Madison is because they were the only corps that had a strong identity as a crowd-pleasing corps (the crowd-pleasing corps) throughout the 80s and 90s. As someone who worshipped the ground that Madison walked upon when I first started watching drum corps, it really depresses me to put out shows that got such limited crowd response as their 05 show (sorry, holding out the last chord for a really long time doesn't count).

I started in 83 and wore a beret, then a Kangol hat, then nothing on my head in 85, 86, and 87. With all the head bobbing and leaning I did at the timps an aussie or shako would have been impractical. We did wear shakos at retreat in 86. For whatever reason.

it really depresses me to put out shows that got such limited crowd response as their 05 show (sorry, holding out the last chord for a really long time doesn't count).

I'll agree here.

Now, I know the Salaas Scouts aren't the same thing as Scott Stewarts units. There's different ways of doing things, of course.

However, ever since 2002, it seems that the swagger the Scouts had (even in 14th place, mind you) is missing. I suppose it falls under that much maligned word "intangible", but it's still noticable.

Even though I think Scott Boerma is one of the best arrangers ever, 2005 really seemed all over the place. Referencing "Malaguena", "Black Magic Woman" and "Carmen" and all the rest just didn't really hit me over the head like his usual stuff does...it came away as muddled, and the ending was extremely abrupt.

I know that it takes time for people to find their niche... that's to be expected. But, I think that the fans the Scouts made over the years....and especially during the 90's...are a little crestfallen, but it's been something everyone has been dancing around ever since things changed in 2002.

I'm sure people will bring up the improved placements, and the fact that a lot of the Scouts old ways were just that...old.

It still seems like there's a yearning for it, regardless.

I have high hopes, though, that eventually things will settle down...and that Madison can figure out a way to combine being the "crowd favorite" with staying abreast of the current design trends. :)

But you wouldn't know that, you are probably new to drum corps in the past 5-6 years.

I am definately not new to drum corps, just so you know. Just because I don't agree with you, you assume I am a drum corps noob, which I am most definately not.

Edited by JBrooks

Personally, the "Thompson" years through the "Moore" years (that's the mid/late 80s through the turn of the century) are the BEST years that Madison ever sounded (IMHO). NONE of those years can compare to 04-05. For a while, most of the BEST players in the area (and I'm talkin drums here folks) went to Madison cuz it was THE place to play (myself included. auditioned in 98). I just don't see the same energy here in the midwest for Madison as there used to be. I'm still a Scouts fan, don't get me wrong, (flammables for life) and as brooks said, corps change, but I also see both sides of the discussion.

Best

CJT