Cavies: 2006 pre season favorites?

btw- is the Tommy Allen who is the new DM the same Tommy Allen that was the drum major of Lawrence Central when they won BOA in 2001?

I remember that guy from BOA Nationals in 2000, when he did a little bit of everything in the show. Talented guy, and I've heard he's a great guy, too.

I remember that guy from BOA Nationals in 2000, when he did a little bit of everything in the show. Talented guy, and I've heard he's a great guy, too.

All of the above.. and he and Jordan will be a fantastic team out there!

It'll be quite a year, that's for sure.. :)

Stef

It would be like a perpetual motion machine to have that every year. At some point, there has to be a huge age-out rate to compensate. You can't have large retention rates every year because the math just won't hold up.

Mike,

It happens...

Since 2001 our return rate has been between 75% and this coming year's approximate 90%.

We've had between 36 (2005) and 46 (2003) members graduate each year. The percentage of return rate is figured out as the difference between who is eligible and who of that group of vets returns. The overall pct. of vets is figured by dividing full number marching (132 last year, 135 in 2006) into number of veteran members. The average corps member marches about three years here (average means there are those above and below don't forget), so we have a really good balance. It doesn't hurt that the average age is between 19.5 and 20.5 in recent years either.

jeff

The average corps member marches about three years here.....

...so over time the corps will average an overall return rate of 67% (some years better, some not at high). If the average member marched 4 years the corps could average a overall return rate of 75% over time.

Personally, I don't think it means JACK!

It might have meant something when corps actually pulled from the community. Just because someone may be new to a corps this year, doesn't mean they haven't been marching elsewhere.

Rocketman - March or Die

ampssuck

Personally, I don't think it means JACK!

It might have meant something when corps actually pulled from the community. Just because someone may be new to a corps this year, doesn't mean they haven't been marching elsewhere.

Rocketman - March or Die

ampssuck

and also, just b/c they are vets doesnt mean they are the best thats out there...

I wouldn't say it means nothing, there is something to be said for knowing the staff, having marched their style for a year, ect. Those are things you don't get marching just anywhere.

I wouldn't say it means nothing, there is something to be said for knowing the staff, having marched their style for a year, ect. Those are things you don't get marching just anywhere.

I agree with you.. There's quite a lot to be said for already "knowing the ropes" when you go into a season at the level of a top 12 corps.. you know the rehearsal etiquette and expectations, you know how hard they expect you to push yourself, you know the difference your corps assigns to "laundry day" and "free day" -- you just know.. and whether you're local or from another country.. or whether you've marched one year or six years there.. it helps to sort of know your way around the organization when you're getting settled in for the season and finding your "groove" (so to speak).

I don't think it means they're the "best" -- but I do think it plays into the equation of how well (and how quickly) the corps will "gel" as a unit.. and THAT can be a determining factor come August.. (for good or bad)

Stef