When I listen to the Cavaliers (2000-2005), it makes me very happy

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I listen to Cavaliers I want to fall asleep. Their music is usually unmelodic and boring. I do love to watch Cavies because they are always a vision to behold.

Oh imagine The Cavaliers' visual repretoire with Phantom Regiment's musical rep.

:peek:

Oh imagine The Cavaliers' visual repretoire with Phantom Regiment's musical rep.

:beer:

Seems like 06 might be the closest thing to that for the Cavaliers... can you say total package? ^OO^

I am listening, but I am not a musical expert. I liked their Bond show, but I do find most years their music is uninteresting. I still love the corps. My favorite corps has always been BD, but I have been frustrated with their musical style over the past few years. I wish they would be less choppy.

I would agree if your talking about 01-03. Any other year, I would have to disagree. I guess Saucedo decided it was a good idea to write 11.5 minute fugue, with more fugues with that fugue...confusing but that what i hear. But still 01-03 are some of my favorite drum corps shows

And just for the record 99 Pan American Sketches is one of my favorite Cavaliers show.

Edited by MelloHorn13

Rut-Roh:

For lack of a better way of describing what I do for the activity, (I write about it because I cannot teach?), I spend much of my year analyzing what drum corps do and how they do it. This might be for the disk that goes out to the Tour and Event Partners (formerly show promoters) that they print up for their own program books, the show analyses for the glossy DCI program book (both disk and book written well before the season starts), DCI.org stuff all year long and even more so during the season and CD and DVD liner notes after the season is over.

Having said that, I have a feeling I might still aspire to writing as fine and logical an analysis as you did about The Cavaliers. It had everything...passion, intellect, a road map through the years, analysis of effect and the effect of effect (don't think about that one too hard), and more passion. I commend you for making your point exciting to read.

I don't plan on ever retiring from what I do for DCI, because it's impossible to retire from something one loves to do so much. But if you ever hear that I've been struck down by a meteorite, give the office a call.

I'd love to read more such positive and in-depth analyses about other corps as well...because the more one writes about drum corps, the more difficult it is to not be positive. We each have our personal likes and dislikes, but when we allow ourselves to look for the good in each organization, the real joy of drum corps opens itself up for us.

And if it isn't clear by now, great post!

Mike

:beer:

I wouldn't want to. I would much refer Phantom does what they do and The Cavaliers do what they do. They do what they like and what they're good at, and it should stay that way.

As far as liking the Cavaliers from 2000-2005, I say amen to that. I love them and the musical repertoire. Seriously, the jazz movement of Four Corners? The jazz movement and ballad of Spin Cycle? I don't see how those could fail to get anyone pumped (except for the ballad, which is soaring and lovely). And Frameworks writing only gets more brilliant every time you listen to it.

Edited by jake_the_hydra

I don't feel any need to post anything terribly deep right now, but I will say that the Cavies have put out my favorite show these last 6 seasons...Phantom 2005 is the only corps that may change things a bit if they keep going on their route...

Even so, the Cavies will still be at or near the top of the list for me

I would agree if your talking about 01-03. Any other year, I would have to disagree. I guess Saucedo decided it was a good idea to write 11.5 minute fugue, with more fugues with that fugue...confusing but that what i hear. But still 01-03 are some of my favorite drum corps shows

And just for the record 99 Pan American Sketches is one of my favorite Cavaliers show.

Pan American Sketches was '96. The '99 show was Classical Innovations; great show. Pan American Sketches is probably my least favorite show of theirs, along with '01 and '05.

Rut-Roh:

For lack of a better way of describing what I do for the activity, (I write about it because I cannot teach?), I spend much of my year analyzing what drum corps do and how they do it. This might be for the disk that goes out to the Tour and Event Partners (formerly show promoters) that they print up for their own program books, the show analyses for the glossy DCI program book (both disk and book written well before the season starts), DCI.org stuff all year long and even more so during the season and CD and DVD liner notes after the season is over.

Having said that, I have a feeling I might still aspire to writing as fine and logical an analysis as you did about The Cavaliers. It had everything...passion, intellect, a road map through the years, analysis of effect and the effect of effect (don't think about that one too hard), and more passion. I commend you for making your point exciting to read.

I don't plan on ever retiring from what I do for DCI, because it's impossible to retire from something one loves to do so much. But if you ever hear that I've been struck down by a meteorite, give the office a call.

I'd love to read more such positive and in-depth analyses about other corps as well...because the more one writes about drum corps, the more difficult it is to not be positive. We each have our personal likes and dislikes, but when we allow ourselves to look for the good in each organization, the real joy of drum corps opens itself up for us.

And if it isn't clear by now, great post!

Mike

####, Rut-Roh.....congrats!!! Haha :P