All age corps

So is the underlying discussion here about alcoholic beverages? If the members all associate with each other and really get to know each other, then there should be nothing falling into underage hands because everyone should know who is of age and who is not. When I joined Sky it was before the all-age thing was in effect and it was a senior corps. They weren't about to change their ways for me. I knew what went on when I got there. The point is that no matter what age they are, they have to be mature enough to handle what goes on and accept that that's the way it is. I guess I'm trying to say that there shouldn't be an age limit but there should be, and I think most corps have this, a maturity limit.

No, it's not. Sure, the beverages after rehearsal are part of the activity, and others have commented on ways that can be handled. My aim was to say about the musical maturity of the younger members of a group. I was thinking like the music educator that I am. There will be a point where too young will take away from a group, sure I'd have them play at rehearsals for the music experience, but when it came to show time, they would be part of the honor guard or someone to help move equipment (as long as the parent is involved somewhere in the corps).

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on the needs of the corps. Like Crusaders, if Westshoremen had a no under 21, or even a no under 18 rule in 1974 the corps would have never been able to reform. Also the Red Carpet Association (small Sr corps circuit) would not have had too many corps in the 70s as a lot of the corps I saw had a bunch of younger members.

Westshore 1974 rules were if you were under 21 and you were caught with beer, your ### was OUT!. Anyone over 21, don't even ###### THINK of giving beer to a minor as you AND the corps was liable for legal action. And we were too broke to even consider getting a lawyer to fight any legal action. Bottom line is the over 21s and under 21s need to take personal responsibility for the good of the corps. Had my first "corps" beer a few days after I hit 21 at AL Championships in New Orleans. And had about six people ask me if I hit 21 yet. (And it was my fifth year in the corps.)

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

We had a 21 and over rule then it went to 18,now it is truly all age,But anyone under 18 has to have a guardian,such as a family member or a sponsor who will take responsibility for the younger member.

We had a member whose 14 year old son marched a couple of years with us.Now he's marching with Madison.

We have a very talented 14 year soprano player who has joined us this year.

The only problem I saw was that between Playing the Opener and the Closer, the kid had 3 growth spurts,where he grew 4 inches and started talking in a baritone voice.All that twiching can get a bit distracting.

Our minimun is 14 for insurance reasons.Our general accident insurance is 14 and up. We don't allow drinking, while we are traveling together, like after a parade. Once you're on your own time you're, free to

do as you wish. But complete intxication is not acceptable to us, its embarrassing to the whole group.

Thanks,

Jeff MVE

Our minimun is 14 for insurance reasons.Our general accident insurance is 14 and up. We don't allow drinking, while we are traveling together, like after a parade. Once you're on your own time you're, free to

do as you wish. But complete intxication is not acceptable to us, its embarrassing to the whole group.

Thanks,

Jeff MVE

Who is "we"?

Who is "we"?

Mon Valley Express...

There were 26 different competing corps at DCA this year and I'll wager you'll find 26 different ways that younger folks can be allowed to march in a responsible manner.

Also, anyone else think the setting of an arbitrary age limit on All-Age Corps kinda contradicts the whole idea? Let individual corps police themselves. If no young lives are being destroyed, and no corps is being sued, then why fix what isn't broken?

I think the minimum age should be decided by the individual corps and not dictated by a rule.

That said, there are many things to consider if you do allow "minors" to march. First, there are obviously the legal and child protection issues to deal with. Then, as you make decisions, you always have to consider the minors into your decisions. If your corps allows drinking, that needs to be separated from the minors. Obviously if their parents also marched, that would be ideal since their guardians are there with them. That would really make DCA an all age and family activity.

Being a high school instructor and having managed winter guards, I have had to deal with the "legal" differences in age (under 18 "Minor" vs 18 and over "adult") just as anyone who has been involved as staff with a junior corps has.

There are advantages and disadvantages either way. Each corps should make their own decision about the minimum age. But if you go truely "all age", make sure you have a plan to deal with the differences. Also, I would recommend you start a Boy Scouts Explorer post and follow their guidelines for child protection. At first I thought it was a P.I.T.A., but it really saved the winter guard I was with when a legal matter came up.

Lots of very good responses. IMO the two keys are mature youth, guided by responsible caring adults. B)