Blue Devils 1993

Well, that's sort of a matter of personal opinion, no? I enjoy BD's version, as well as Madison's 82 and 83 versions. That being said, if I had to choose one, I'd say the clear winner was Madison 83. So perhaps there would be a debate after all :-)

Well, it isn't really a matter of personal opinion. Because I'm not saying I liked BD's version better. I'm saying it was a better arrangement, which can be quanitifed. I was also referring to Madison's '93 version, since I have not heard the 82 or 83 version. They may be better.

I don't think Don Ellis wrote a bar in 4/4 in his life!!!!

I remember reading once where it was said that the only thing Don Ellis ever played in four was "Take Five" B)

Well, that's sort of a matter of personal opinion, no? I enjoy BD's version, as well as Madison's 82 and 83 versions. That being said, if I had to choose one, I'd say the clear winner was Madison 83. So perhaps there would be a debate after all :-)

You know what's interesting about the 83 Madison thing. That hornline took 8th that year. It was statistically speaking their worst caption that. Yet, I continue to see people place it above 1993 Blue Devils and 1993 Madison (which even THEY were a stronger placing hornline). Not debating the issue. I just think it's interesting.

I would choose 82/83 Madison over 93 Blue Devils.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying those hornlines were better than BD, but the arrangements and the power of those lines just made you want to jump up and scream. 93 BD was incredible, but for a different reason. Strawberry wasn't a stand up and shout tune like it was with Madison.

Simply a matter of style.

The 83 Madison hornline was actually pretty good....I think their opener may be where their placement came from. That thing sounded like it was a ##### to play. I saw them many times in 83 and they were on fire.

Now....the 82 hornline....that line was incredible. How can you go wrong with Slaughter and Strawberry. I saw them in Denver that year, we must've went on early, but I can vividly recall the sopranos slamming those valves down during that opening trill followed by the hair splitting power chord.

THAT WAS LOUD!

Edited by bd5times

I would choose 82/83 Madison over 93 Blue Devils.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying those hornlines were better than BD, but the arrangements and the power of those lines just made you want to jump up and scream. 93 BD was incredible, but for a different reason. Strawberry wasn't a stand up and shout tune like it was with Madison.

Simply a matter of style.

The 83 Madison hornline was actually pretty good....I think their opener may be where their placement came from. That thing sounded like it was a ##### to play. I saw them many times in 83 and they were on fire.

Now....the 82 hornline....that line was incredible. How can you go wrong with Slaughter and Strawberry. I saw them in Denver that year, we must've went on early, but I can vividly recall the sopranos slamming those valves down during that opening trill followed by the hair splitting power chord.

THAT WAS LOUD!

I understand what you are saying. I just think it's odd and dare I even say a stretch to even compare a tune played by a hornline that won with another hornline that played the same tune on a rough year (at least for their hornline). Especially when it's 10 years apart. But, I get what you are saying.

I STILL say...I WISH you all could hear what the 93 BD semifinals sounded like. You mentioned "power". Man, finals was wimpy in comparison to semis. I STILL scratch my head at the fact that our staff didn't ask for semifinals to be put on the CD for that year.

Edited by torn8o

I just think it's odd and dare I even say a stretch to even compare a tune played by a hornline that won with another hornline that played the same tune on a rough year (at least for their hornline).

I don't think it's a stretch at all. It's a totally valid comparison. I don't consider the score or placement (could care less, frankly).

I'm saying it was a better arrangement, which can be quanitifed.

How so? Comparing the number of notes the same as the original and multiplying by the number of standing ovations? What number do you get?

Can the quality of orchestral works also be quantified? Who's the best composer ever? What "score" does he/she get?

Baloney. Music, as an art form, can only be judged in the eye of the beholder. What is music to one person may be noise to another. Yes, one can qualify the quality of music, or musical arrangements, but this is based on one's own opinion or on musical theory, which is ultimately a somewhat arbitrary, human innovation. Just look at the differences between Western and Eastern music. But I can guarantee that there is no way to quantify how good/bad a given piece of music is.

I can't pick a favorite arrangement of Soup. I like them all for their own takes on the original.

Keep in mind also tha Madison's various version include composed sections that are NOT part of the Ellis original.

In the 82 & 83 version, the section before the drum break (on the 83 vid it's where the black sop player gets a MAJOR closeup.....the funny thing it, he wasn't playing....he was a drummer filling a hole...he was the tymp player in 84) is not Ellis...nor is the doublle sop screaming in all three versions...although I DO like Mad's ending better than the bump & grind Ellis did.

For my money, the best version of Strawbery is 83.