Calling all Former "Breathe Dah Students"

Here's how I remember it, from Easter camp, 1986.

- Shorty counted off an excercise

- We blew the attack

- Donnie said, and I quote: "Breathe dah! Breathe dah! What the F&*#! What's so hard? Breathe dah!"

I don't remember that, but I can definitely picture it!

I loved it and hated it when Donnie was in town. Having him around definitely took the pressure up a notch, and then when I had to play for him... yikes! But when I nailed it... yipee!

Our sons will roll their eyes and go "oh ma" when they see I've replied here but ...

I had the honor of hearing the Star Alumni play in 2004 ... and hearing how they attacked each phrase ... it drives home the point here ... some things you never forget ... and oh, my ... even after so many years had passed ... it was breathtaking.

Thanks to all of you.

I see how it can sound that way. I'll let you guys take it up with Russ.

For me it's just another team for me to root for and identify with since that rat bastage took my corps away...anyway... I know these guys are going to do things the way I like to hear them and that gives me a little added incentive to check them out. If I marched Cavies and they were suddenly gone from the activity, I think I would be very excited about following a corps staffed with people I marched with. They would resemble the unique technique, philosophy, and style I came to appreciate while marching with the Cavaliers. I would appreciate the invitation to sit in the warm up arc (not something I've seen corps let any passers by do). I'm not saying this is why Russ started this thread but it is why my interest is peaked.

I suppose this thread is a good example of why some corps discourage their leadership from posting. The printed word is so easy to take the wrong way.

Very much understood.

Our sons will roll their eyes and go "oh ma" when they see I've replied here but ...

I had the honor of hearing the Star Alumni play in 2004 ... and hearing how they attacked each phrase ... it drives home the point here ... some things you never forget ... and oh, my ... even after so many years had passed ... it was breathtaking.

Thanks to all of you.

Oh, Ma.....

:ph34r:

It's so ingrained that it's like riding a bike. A few weekends to blow the cobwebs out of the lungs and we were good to go. Now we just need to plan for the next gig.

Maybe not "dah", specifically, but certainly something derived from "dah", such as "dee".

I would guess that good breath support and firm articulation are qualities that all of the really great hornlines share.

How about "Daht", "dit". Good jazz articulation involves stopping the notes with the tongue sometimes.

Course, I'm hijacking to a whole different kind of music than what is being discussed here.

I'm not positive.....Don Angelica's main achievements as far as instruction, came with the Troopers. Is that correct? Interesting, that he influenced most of the teachers of the best hornlines of our generation.

Yes.

Next is a conversation about Jim Jones and his influence on Pete Emmons and Fred Sanford.

It's a small drum corps world.

• 6 years later...

Ok..I realize this is an old thread but I'm dealing with a bari guy who is interested in helping our corps come back and is insisting on "breathe dah" technique. I as a pro trumpet player DO recognize the importance of a full relaxed inward breath and if saying "dah" helps that's fine. But this guy is insisting also on PLAYING/blowing "dah" in all registers and I keep saying that it's impossible for a trumpet/sop player to play high notes with his mouth open in the "ahh" position. There IS such a thing as a tongue arch and the EEEEEEE syllable for the upper register. Wayne Downey (who this guy also shoots down) also agrees.(I asked him) This guy denies the existence of tongue arch, shoots down every trumpet teacher for the past 100 years including Claude Gordon, Louis Maggio, Herbert L. Clarke and every trumpet method book ever written. "Teeee...is just wrong,etc." Again, I'd agree with big full open relaxed breaths and open relaxed throat when blowing, but this guy is taking the cake. I even showed the old flourescope video showing the xray film of of a trumpet player playing. You can SEE when he goes to a high C his tongue arching. This guy denies it anyway. Showed him Maynards former lead player Lynn Nicholson's "Happy Birthday" video where he's screaming double C's and this guy thought that was disgusting and "tinny". WTF??? One of the top lead players on the planet and his high notes are so loud that he uses and offers ear protection for his students, yet this guy says he's disgusting? Does arrogance know no bounds? :)

Ok..I realize this is an old thread but I'm dealing with a bari guy who is interested in helping our corps come back and is insisting on "breathe dah" technique. I as a pro trumpet player DO recognize the importance of a full relaxed inward breath and if saying "dah" helps that's fine. But this guy is insisting also on PLAYING/blowing "dah" in all registers and I keep saying that it's impossible for a trumpet/sop player to play high notes with his mouth open in the "ahh" position. There IS such a thing as a tongue arch and the EEEEEEE syllable for the upper register. Wayne Downey (who this guy also shoots down) also agrees.(I asked him) This guy denies the existence of tongue arch, shoots down every trumpet teacher for the past 100 years including Claude Gordon, Louis Maggio, Herbert L. Clarke and every trumpet method book ever written. "Teeee...is just wrong,etc." Again, I'd agree with big full open relaxed breaths and open relaxed throat when blowing, but this guy is taking the cake. I even showed the old flourescope video showing the xray film of of a trumpet player playing. You can SEE when he goes to a high C his tongue arching. This guy denies it anyway. Showed him Maynards former lead player Lynn Nicholson's "Happy Birthday" video where he's screaming double C's and this guy thought that was disgusting and "tinny". WTF??? One of the top lead players on the planet and his high notes are so loud that he uses and offers ear protection for his students, yet this guy says he's disgusting? Does arrogance know no bounds? :)

Are you sure you want him working with you guys in that case?

Oh, Ma.....

:ph34r:/>

It's so ingrained that it's like riding a bike. A few weekends to blow the cobwebs out of the lungs and we were good to go. Now we just need to plan for the next gig.

Heh....I have the recording of the first time the alums played "Praise Ye." Absolute GLORY!!

Followed by funny comments such as "PLEASE say that's on tape!" "Tour starts when?" and "When's move-in?"

I used to teach a method to a few small/mid-sized locals corps (remember those?) back in the mid '80's. Expel/relax on counts one and two, full breath on count three, embouchure set on count four and dah attack (open throat, warm air) on count five. Should have called it "Breathe, Dah" and patented the #### thing! Duh....