Should DCI change the activitiys name from "Drum and Bugle Corps

Well Dan.. one of two things happens inevitably.

I was brought up with the understanding that when a light is shined on an unattractive or childish behavior it either gets curbed or magnified.

With that in mind, then, I guess my expectation is to be able to say what I think and for others to say what they think, too. I'm not upset that people have a problem with the word whine -- I find that people who aren't bothered by it don't think that it applies to them.

But I'm still gonna shine a light.

Stef

and i shone the light on why they were upset for you. you dont own the light shining rights on here.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Making new resolution for myself: "Don't complain about people complaining about someone elses original complaint" which a few pages of this thread turned into (and I helped to spread). Totally pointless and waste of time.

Yeah, I can admit that I was doing it.

And "complaining" is more accurate, and more respectful (less insulting) than "whining".

... no.

as much as some people try and make it sound, this isn't marching band yet.

~>conner

Allow me to refine our definition of "whining" because Stef is right - there's a whole lot of whining going on.

All due respect to whatever dictionary you have, most of us think of whining as sustained and annoying complaining to those who can't or won't change the situation that is the subject of the complaint.

That's what we've got in this thread and why Stef is correct in calling it whining. It's a complaint repeated to the point of annoyance about a situation that is beyond the competence and/or desire of us to influence.

And don't try to quote the Constitution on me. I pre-emptively agree that it is absolutely your right to whine. Whine, whine, whine.

HH

PS: It wouldn't be whining in another forum such as the We-Hate-Today's-Junior-Drum-Corps Forum because that forum wouldn't likely be full of people who like today's DRUM AND BUGLE CORPS and thus wouldn't be annoyed (annoying being essential to whining along with incompetence to influence). Get it? I bet Stef does.

I can't believe that you fail to see that yours is the best whine here.....you win! :P

... no.

as much as some people try and make it sound, this isn't marching band yet.

~>conner

Well I don't watch MB shows so I'll take your word for it Conner :P

KIDDING except for not watching band shows.

Seriously, as a mental exercise I wondered what it would look like if everytime someone made a pro-amp post someone would respond with "OK you won, bringing it up again is pointless".

Yeah, sounded weird to me but have sounds pretty close to some ani-amp post responses.

We will sell no Whine before it's time...... IT'S TIME ^0^

I was thinking, is it time for DCI to change the name of the activity "Drum and Bugle Corps" to something more in tune with what's going on?

NO!!!! ABSOLUTELY FRICKEN NOT!!!!!!!!! SORRY...STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID idea!!! :blink::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry: And the day they do will be the day I disown the activity...FOREVER!!! Or maybe, it will be just DCI that I disown because DCA will NEVER do something that stupid!

:angry:angry: :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:angry: :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Edited by torn8o

Got interupted before I finished, here's rest.

I'm in the middle of this issue so both sides posts can look bad to me. FWIW, I don't like amps and big ###ed props but I'm not willing to say DC=MB.

BUT, for the last few years the line has definitely gotten closer, if not blurred, between the two.

In concrete ways:

1) Use of same key in MB and DC

2) Use of props like Cadets door, Empires backdrops, etc

3) Amps

In abstract ways:

1) I play trumpet/tuba in Drum Corps - 'nuff said

2) "The only difference between DC and MB is the insensity or the experience". Have seen this posted a few times and if that's the only difference that can be seen.. WOW

3) Someone can talk about bringing WWs in DC and people take it seriously.

I can see why some people think that DC is turning/has turned into MB as they have gotten closer and closer.

And Connor I was just having fun as I enjoying hearing your thoughts. Even thought we don't always agree.

And Connor I was just having fun as I enjoying hearing your thoughts. Even thought we don't always agree.

I wasn't offended at all.

disagreeing with opinions is what keeps this board alive anyway, right?

~>conner

I wasn't offended at all.

disagreeing with opinions is what keeps this board alive anyway, right?

~>conner

:) The man gets it. Adding you to my DC discussion group with MikeD.

And the important part is - I'm buying

I was thinking, is it time for DCI to change the name of the activity "Drum and Bugle Corps" to something more in tune with what's going on? I mean, with the emphasis on narration, amps, dancing and moving around at light speed, it seems like there is a lot less emphasis on the "Drum and Bugle" part of it. Execution isn't judged as critically as in the past, (no ticks), and the scores are ridiculously high, (a 99, give me a break). The layman can't look and understand what's going on anymore, and to see (and hear) great drumming, you have to go to the Parking Lot to hear warm ups. To me it looks like a "Performance Group", or something else. (Like Blast!) I know it won't happen, because they would have to change their brand, (Well it could still be DCI with different words), but if things keep going the way they are, then it won't resemble the activity I love.

A Dinosaur and PROUD OF IT!!!!

"Less and Less":

He shoots, he scores :blink:

Elphaba