Sportsmanship award

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On retreat I guess SCV and The Cadets. SCV because of their aura and The Cadets because well, they're completely still and don't talk to anyone.

On retreat I guess SCV and The Cadets. SCV because of their aura and The Cadets because well, they're completely still and don't talk to anyone.

My vote would go to Cadets, they always, always show class, no matter where they are, (on or off the field), no matter who they are around. They know how to conduct themselves, because they are THE CADETS!!!!!!!! My vote would not go to Phantom, after the classless stunt they pulled in Boston at retreat. Cadets would never do something like that!!!!!!!!! I have always liked Phantom, but I have to say I lost a great deal of respect for the corps, as well as their staff for their tasteless display. I will not feel the same about them again. <**> Donna S.

Donna S.

My vote would go to Cadets, they always, always show class, no matter where they are, (on or off the field), no matter who they are around. They know how to conduct themselves, because they are THE CADETS!!!!!!!! My vote would not go to Phantom, after the classless stunt they pulled in Boston at retreat. Cadets would never do something like that!!!!!!!!! I have always liked Phantom, but I have to say I lost a great deal of respect for the corps, as well as their staff for their tasteless display. I will not feel the same about them again.

As I said, every corps has their bad moments. Yes, even the Cadets. You'd be surprised.

Not to stir up a hornet's nest or anything, but I've heard stories of SCV being anything BUT good sports over the years about competition. Things that totally contradicted what I perceived about them based on the image they seem to represent.

It's true.

For a visual example, look at their member CHEWING GUM on the field in retreat, and then missing the command to attention. I saw them do worse than that this past year, though, and heard stories that say the same.

What did Phantom do?

As far as how corps carry themselves, I like the aura the Glassmen give off.

If you're going to talk about silence and seriousness as a virtue, then why would you bother mentioning the Cadets? Boston would obviously win if that were the criteria. I personally don't define sportsmanship as being isolationists and complete disregard of other corps aside from themselves, I would choose one that is easy to get along with, and can still be classy after a loss. Will's description about the Crossmen, is what I think of when I hear sportsmanship in DCI.

As I said, every corps has their bad moments. Yes, even the Cadets. You'd be surprised.

Also true. Most people would be surprised.

What was up with their mellophone completely ruining the intro to America O' Canada in finals retreat this year? That was absolutely disgusting. Anyone else hear that??

Also true. Most people would be surprised.

What was up with their mellophone completely ruining the intro to America O' Canada in finals retreat this year? That was absolutely disgusting. Anyone else hear that??

Aren't we talking about Sportsmanship? I don't think that's a Behavior/Conduct related event.

Aren't we talking about Sportsmanship? I don't think that's a Behavior/Conduct related event.
The two go hand in hand.

Alot of people look at mis-conduct, or bad behavior, especially in uniform, as unsportsman-like.

I'm not sure what happened in America/O Canada finals, but I can say that it probably was not on purpose. We like most corps I'm sure, did not really work on the music at all. Finals was the only retreat of the year, hence all the missed horn moves. If it was a balance problem, that was indeed the individual. Speaking of that. I think of sportsmanship as the whole. There are one or two individuals everywhere that can leave a bad impression. When it's the corps as a whole showing unsportsmanlike conduct, that's when my opinions can change. Personally, my vote goes to SCV and Crown. I've always liked every interaction I've had with the Blue Devils as well. They're a fun group of people.