2007 DCI in Pasadena

as a future dci member....I would enjoy making the trip out to the west coast. I feel it's a great thing for drum corps to expand out there, for more "late season action" and finals of course. It will definately draw fans, as will every dci final. No matter where it is. Of course the tour schedules and such will have to be changed. DCI east, in allentown wouldn't be a good thing for the week before finals like it normally is. It would be difficult to travel halfway across the country in less than a week. Maybe it would lead Denver or an area out there to have a dci major event. Even places like seattle, san diego. A major event there.

I think finals out on the west coast is a great, great thing for the activity.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy about a west coast finals.

Disappointed about the venue.

I am in agreement with you 100%. San Diego would have been a much better location. I can't wait to hear some of the horror stories of all those corps and people who are unfamaliar with our freeway system. Not to mention how spread out the area is and the vast miles LA alone covers. Should be very very interesting.

You know, those of us in California find it so ironic that for once in the history of drum corps, California gets finals, and all of a sudden California is too expensive and too far for many of the corps to travel (at least according to some of the more vocal fans of the activity).

Personally I love southern California and I think it's GREAT that DCI has made this decision. But I think they could have chosen a better venue. SanDiego & San Jose are a few other venues that seem to have been a better choice. Lack of schools and hotels in the area come to mind also. Plus, it is a nightmare to get in and out of that valley that holds the Rose Bowl. I know there will be much less than the 100,000 people that usually attend football games there but I can't image some of the busses and truck navagating through the hills surrounding the Rose Bowl. I am glad I won't be driving for a drum corps next year.

Well.. having lived in SoCal for 8+ years, I would say I am about as happy as a no-longer-SoCal-er can be that finals is finally on the west coast. Seriously.. it's like a dream come true.

That said, having been in all the stadiums they were considering, I think it would have been an even toss up between Rose Bowl and San Diego for 2nd place. I think Stanford would have been a better choice.

The Murph (Qualcomm for those of you who don't know it by it's REAL name) is also a very shallow bowl and the field is set a LOOONNNGGGG way off from the stands. You would have the same issues in that stadium as you are going to have with the Rose Bowl.

In terms of location, though.. I think San Diego would have been best. There are TONS of schools within a reasonable travelling distance.. and many of them are newer facilities with some considerably sized bands so there is lots of decently set up facilities for what drum corps would require (I was housing coordinator for the San Diego show the year it was revived.. it wasn't hard to find housing at ALL.. they were practically throwing it at us.. then the found out they could charge for it..) There's also a fantastic venue at Southwestern College for II/III (seriously.. if it were a bigger stadium I'd say use it for finals!). There's plenty of parking at the Murph and LOADS to do.. and the traffic is not nearly as bad in SD as it is in LA. Plus they have a trolley/rail service that takes you from downtown to the stadium gate -- so you wouldn't even need to drive in or park at all!!

That being said.. I really liked the Rose Bowl.. and have no problem going there for finals (we have a place to stay that's pretty close.. in San Fernando) -- L.A. and SoCal are no more or less expensive to go and play than say.. Orlando.. and the weather will be hot, make no mistake.. but it won't be the humid, oppressive hot of the humid south..

bottom line.. I think finals in California is historic enough to make the trip for.. :) even if it's not the most perfect venue..

Stef

The Murph (Qualcomm for those of you who don't know it by it's REAL name)

Kind of off topic.

If you want to be like that it's "real" name is San Diego Stadium.

I, for one, will call something by it's current name.

-hboyce (born, raised, and still resides in, San Diego)

PS - San Diego in '08

Kind of off topic.

If you want to be like that it's "real" name is San Diego Stadium.

I, for one, will call something by it's current name.

-hboyce (born, raised, and still resides in, San Diego)

PS - San Diego in '08

:) You've got me there.. I grew up calling it Jack Murphy.. (raised in Scottsdale -- summers in S.D.)

Now go to Arrividerci and have dinner in my honor!

Stef