Indianapolis Bids for DCI

I was a Hoosier for a little while and I think Indianapolis is a great city. If DCI decides to make a home in Indy, keep in mind that the Brickyard 400 is traditionally held the weekend before DCI Championships begin. Not sure how many drum corps fans head into town early, but if you want to come into town the weekend prior to the contest, it will be very difficult to stay in Indy proper and accomodations will be very pricey!

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um, I don't think it's the city that draws the fans, I think it's the shows from the corps. I'd like to see a rotation too, but I don't think attendance would drop solely because finals are held in the same city. If anything, I think it might give fans a goal to shoot for every year, knowing exactly where they'll be.

Really? Then how would you explain the drop in attendence in subsequent years back in the day when Championships were held in the same city for 2 or 3 years? Could it be due to the novelty wearing off on the locals just checking it out? Fan's not wanting to return to the same city year after year?

hey. i think it would be cool. and as far as the whole 10 year thing..how many times has DCI rotated between Madison and Orlando for finals?

not to mention Indy is a very driveable distance for me :)

I cannot believe how many people are so resistant to change in drumcorps. :P

I cannot believe how many people actually think that it is DCIs obligation to provide them with diversions during DCI week. DCI week is not about how YOU spend your time it is all about the KIDS remember? :angry:

I cannot believe the concern about possible tainting of DCI by BOA being in the same city. BOA is DCIs future and drum corps IS marching band remember? ^0^

I am curious as to how many open-minded people when it comes to amps and turning DCI into UP with People are suddenly going ape over the possibility of this bid becoming reality. I could look at the site and figure it out but I am too #### lazy tonite.

I do have one complaint tho'. The mods should mark threads like this as possible hazards to ones underwear becuz I almost soiled myself from laughing so hard at the negative nay-bobs here.

I cannot believe how many people are so resistant to change in drumcorps. :P

I cannot believe how many people actually think that it is DCIs obligation to provide them with diversions during DCI week. DCI week is not about how YOU spend your time it is all about the KIDS remember? :angry:

I cannot believe the concern about possible tainting of DCI by BOA being in the same city. BOA is DCIs future and drum corps IS marching band remember? ^0^

I am curious as to how many open-minded people when it comes to amps and turning DCI into UP with People are suddenly going ape over the possibility of this bid becoming reality. I could look at the site and figure it out but I am too #### lazy tonite.

I do have one complaint tho'. The mods should mark threads like this as possible hazards to ones underwear becuz I almost soiled myself from laughing so hard at the negative nay-bobs here.

Orrrr.....

It could just be a bunch of people who are happy to have something to discuss, ponder, reflect upon and form an opinion about that actually relates to drum corps in the off season.

Plenty of reasonable "DISCUSSION" has actually happened here, too -- something we don't often see in some of these threads -- and those really negative nay-bob responses are pretty easy to just scroll past, in my experience.

Nobody has said DCI owes them anything here.. I know I was one of the first who said I wasn't likely to attend 10 years straight of drum corps in one town. Realistically, I don't spend all of my time watching or interacting with drum corps during finals week (10 out of the last 11 years straight gives you a point for my reference) -- it is, after all, my vacation as well as the culmination of a lot of hard work by a lot of great kids.. so I LIKE to do other things, too. I think three consecutive years in one place is about my limit, though.. just speaking from experience, of course.

Doesn't mean I'll stop attending shows.. or stop going to other events.. and it doesn't mean I'm "afraid of change" or even opposed to it.. but the fact is, I may not be as likely (as I'm sure others may agree) to go to ten (or nine) weeks worth of finals in the same city all in a row.. I probably wouldn't attend 10 consecutive years worth of finals weeks attending drum corps shows if it was in MY HOMETOWN, either.. that's just the way I am. I know what drives me to invest in an entire week's worth of time off work.

to each his own, I suppose.

Stef

I really would like to see something like this happen. WGI has a love affair of sorts with Dayton. They return year after year, and haven't they recently signed a multi-season deal?

Something like this for DCI is rather generous. If the acoustics of the stadium work out the way they've been rumored about then I see no reason to turn it down outright. The kind of stability offered in this proposal will be hard to find elsewhere if not impossible. As soon as DCI moved in how long would it take for DCA to look to move into the area as well? The seasons end at different times, and being essentially the same activity it would give Indy even more drum corps to enjoy in the last half of the summer. I say go for it. The possibilities are numerous for the health of the activity.

Normally, I'd be totally against having finals in a dome, even one with a retractable roof ... but if it's really being built with acoustics in mind, then maybe it won't be so bad.

I'm still not sold on the idea that having finals in the same place every year is a good idea, though. I've always figured that the majority of people who attend probably live within a fairly reasonable drive of the site. Some die-hard fans would travel anywhere in North America to attend finals, but I bet they don't make up a huge percentage of the fans at any particular finals. That's the main reason why I think it's great that DCI is finally planning a finals on the west coast. So fans of the more casual sort who live outside the Midwest would lose out on ever being to attend finals without shelling out the dough, which is beyond the means of some fans ...

So that's really my main concern, I guess.

So if the stadium turns out to suck ... or if attendance flags after a year or two ... I wonder if DCI would have any way of getting out of the deal?