Indianapolis Bids for DCI

That's pretty rude. Considering the stadium is actually in Orchard Park, where many of the millionaire football players choose to live, I'd like to know what you're talking about. Buffalo isn't the best city going by any means, but to call is "war zone" is pretty da*n rude.

- R -

Try actually going TO Buffalo next time. :P

And other than millionarie football player's houses what actually IS in Orchard Park? Last time I was there it was the middle of almost nowhere. I think the 12th largest city in the US can beat the attractions there.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Key word in that statement: week END. It was two days (many of which I attended) and there didn't need to be a lot to do other than drum corps over the course of two full days. There was lots of drum corps to get in.. lots. Two days was just about right for a regional championship.

As to your question of "who goes to finals for a week, anyway" -- well.. for starters, I DO. A great deal of people go for MUCH more than just the finals event on Saturday. There are more drum corps events that don't happen any other time except on finals week.. typically I would fly in Monday night or Tuesday morning so I could catch II/III prelims and still be able to attend I&E and opening ceremonies and quarters/semis/II-III finals and finals.

That's why they sell package tickets. Because people buy them. There is much to be said about rotating finals into different locations each season.. but we don't know what benefits and what detractors DCI is observing in comparison to the potentials for each in having finals in one place for 9 years.

Until then, calling people names and claiming it's "payback" is pretty childish behavior, IMO, for someone who's supposed to be an adult. If you want to "play with the big kids" you could try acting like one. People might take what you have to say seriously and even have debates/discussion with you instead of against you.

Stef

Unlike YOU Stef I did not specifically call anyone names. Next time try not to be an example of what your trying to criticize.

Or as I was once told "leave the moderating to the moderators".

Meanwhile let us be fair here. DeKalb actually stretched into Sunday did it not? Being somewhat generous tonite I will split the difference and call DeKalb a 2.5 day event. DCI week is what 5 days? You mean to tell me that the creative genius on this board cannot find something to stimulate their senses for 2.5 days?

One good point that was brought up was the potential synergy between BOA and DCI staff. Great idea to leverage the two staffs and complement each other since both groups tend to have the big dance at different times of the year.

"People who drive to DeKalb will not make the drive to Indianapolis." You kid yes? You mean to tell me that the people who drove to DeKalb will not be willing to drive 3-4 hours further to go see the main event? What did Indiana implement stringent visa requirements that made Checkpoint Charlie a breeze to pass through by comparison?

"Having finals in the same place too many years in a row will cause the crowds to go down. Look at Orlando."

Please people for one thing that was ####### ORLANDO in AUGUST and for another that was 10 years ago! Things changed in 10 years. For example I have become much more personable than I used to be. Different audiences now remember? Besides this is the same brain trust that got DCI to the sterling position it is in now. Why the sudden loss of confidence in the leaderships decision making?

But the common theme I keep hearing is I and me. As in I do not want to go to the same place year after year or there will be nothing for ME to do in Indianapolis. And again I ask IS IT NOT ABOUT "THE KIDS". If this makes financial sense for DCI you would be willing to turn you're backs and abandon "the kids"? How true of a "fan" does that make you?

Since I was asked those questions when my dislike for amps was made known it is only fair to ask the same of you now.

And I am enjoying every minute of seeing that the sanctimonious ones then are just as petty now as they accused me of being. :blush:

Edited by Gold_Bond

I'm being selfish. There's my disclaimer. It's better than if the same proposal were for Orlando, but not much. I'd only be able to afford to go to 3 or 4 finals over the decade, as opposed to 8 or 9 if the location varied from east to midwest to west. Plus, I'd get sick of going to the same place every year. No doubt, I just gave the same anti-Indy-decade-proposal that other have given, so, okay. :)

Yeah I was surprised about the comment made that there is nohing to do in Orlando comment, that's just so..wow...it's one of the most sought after vacation destinations because of the theme parks, the beaches are less then an hour away...but alot of other things to do in Orlando. Not to mention the choices of hotels and the prices of them are so great.

But you never know about the weather is the only downfall, with all the recent surges in Hurricanes I don't know if I'd want a finals to be held down here until this cycle runs itself out. :sshh:

But I've wondered why DCI doesn't have the regional show here anymore? They just have it as a one day affair. What happened? Does anybody know?

I have to say, on the upside (and don't mind me if this has already been stated, I've kinda lost track of this thread), since Indiana is basically in the middle of the country, more smaller corps would be able to go. That said, maybe some div III corps only go to championships when it's near them, and they're on the coast, so this would mean either major expenses or never going. So, I dunno, the situation seems to have as many pros as it does cons. There really is no correct awnser to anything. But hey, that's why we're all here, right?

Key word in that statement: week END. It was two days (many of which I attended) and there didn't need to be a lot to do other than drum corps over the course of two full days. There was lots of drum corps to get in.. lots. Two days was just about right for a regional championship.

As to your question of "who goes to finals for a week, anyway" -- well.. for starters, I DO. A great deal of people go for MUCH more than just the finals event on Saturday. There are more drum corps events that don't happen any other time except on finals week.. typically I would fly in Monday night or Tuesday morning so I could catch II/III prelims and still be able to attend I&E and opening ceremonies and quarters/semis/II-III finals and finals.

That's why they sell package tickets. Because people buy them. There is much to be said about rotating finals into different locations each season.. but we don't know what benefits and what detractors DCI is observing in comparison to the potentials for each in having finals in one place for 9 years.

Until then, calling people names and claiming it's "payback" is pretty childish behavior, IMO, for someone who's supposed to be an adult. If you want to "play with the big kids" you could try acting like one. People might take what you have to say seriously and even have debates/discussion with you instead of against you.

Stef

will you stop agreeing with me. we're going to break DCP if this keeps up.

I know that it has been reported that the city of Indy is asking for 10 years of championships. Often in negotiations you ask for an extreme position but settle for something a little less. I wonder if they would be OK with locking in 10 years of events in the new stadium without all of them having to be World Championships week. Perhaps 5 championships and 5 events similar to our current Midwestern event.

this i think would be great. no offense to Indy, but the rest of the nation doesn't deserve to be shut out for a decade.

CA is finally getting finals after 35 years. #### it took 26 years just to get back to Denver.

I hardly think DCM in Dekalb is the same as Finals. DCM was more like the regional circuit that used to be held in the same places year after year (i.e., DCI Midwest in Whitewater, DCI East in Allentown, DCI South in Birmingham, DCI North in Ypsilanti, DCI Canda in Hamilton, DATR in Denver, etc.), and similar to the current regional setting in Denver, San Antonio, Murfreesboro, Indianapolis, and Allentown. The regionals draw good sized crowds, but more from the region than from all over the country like the big dance in August.

and 10-1 Allentown is soon done. look for yet another regional in a dome soon.