Making vocals work in drum corps...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think an operatic Soprano voice would work very well on the field. It would be loud enough to be heard without amplification and would be an amazing texture.

And if it can't be done in junior corps due to the amount of training (I disagree, but heck - I'm a horn player), we could certainly do it in DCA!

What piece would you like to sing with the Renegades, Stef?

Well Chris.. you pick! My fach is the one whose every heroine dies horribly and tragically.. or is left alone after everyone she loves has either died horribly or tragically.. so every one of my "big arias" is dark.. lucky for you... and while my voice is big.. I doubt I could compete with the Renegades' hornline.. I wouldn't blend, I'd be assimilated. :blush:

:blush:

Would be fun to try sometime, though.. even though I'm not convinced of vocal opera on field..

Stef

Well.. as a trained and semi-professional singer, I'd only argue the level of excellence and execution with you.. and that could take years. :blush: I will say this, however: It takes upwards of ten years to properly train a voice to that level of execution and excellence you expect out of drum corps.. I believe there are members who are at or approaching that point and utilizing them in conjunction with brass and percussion -- not as a featured effect but as an additional effect -- could be quite stunning and out of this world ground-breaking.

Stef

It does take time to properly train. I once heard that the female voice matures (physical development) at about age 30. Never heard a statistic for the male voice.

Edited by shawn craig

Another different aspect to vocals is the unique sound each voice has.

If you take 100 reasonably talented college trumpet players, the tone quality of most will sound about the same. Only a few of the best at the top and the worst at the bottom will stand out.

If you listen to 100 sopranos voices, you are going to get a much wider range in the basic tone and character of voices: from light to heavy, culatura to dramatic mezzo etc.

You not only need some one with true talent, but the right type of voice for the part.

Edited by shawn craig

I think an operatic Soprano voice would work very well on the field. It would be loud enough to be heard without amplification and would be an amazing texture.

And if it can't be done in junior corps due to the amount of training (I disagree, but heck - I'm a horn player), we could certainly do it in DCA!

nothing amplified