Trademark Tunes & Tributes

We all remember that "back in the day" most corps played trademarks tunes or "tags" that other corps would respectfully honor and not copy.

I also enjoyed when corps played tribute to their competitors by incorporating snippets of other corps' songs. Some examples that come to mind are:

Spirit of Atlanta-2002? Danny Boy(27th), Send in the Clowns(Santa Clara), and ???

Muchachos-'71 or '72-did a mock parade with some Yankee Doodle(Garfield), Baby Elephant Walk(Blue Rock)

Kilties- '68 or '69-Strike Up the Band- Big Spender(St. Joes of Batavia), & ????

Caballeros-'75? NY/NY tag in TSOP? Brazil?

If anyone can provide the exact years, corps, and songs associated with those corps my feeble recollections would appreciate the information. (Rob H????). Please add additional "tributes" that you remember.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forget what year -- sometime in the 90s -- Regiment did "Carnival of the Animals" in which Saint-Seans poked fun at some of his contemporaries by including little style snippets. Regiment did the same thing with a little bit of Phantom of the Opera, Slaughter on 10th Ave, etc....quite funny and appropriate!

Just a few off of the top of my blonde head;

Crossmen..."Russian Christmas Music'

Cavaliers...."Somewhere Over the Rainbow" or "Softly As I Leave You"

Spirit of Atlanta..."Let It Be Me"

SCV...The Bottle Dance

Guardsmen..."Greensleeves"

Boston Crusaders......"Conquest"

Cavaliers...."Somewhere Over the Rainbow" or "Softly As I Leave You"

Spirit of Atlanta..."Let It Be Me"

SCV...The Bottle Dance

Guardsmen..."Greensleeves"

Boston Crusaders......"Conquest"

It's a cute blonde head....

Cavaliers...Bully

St Joes...Big Spender (I know it was mentioned, it bares mentioning again)

SCV...Apallatian Spring

Madison...God Bless the Child

BD...Legend of the One Eyed Sailor

more to follow....

For Denver John - yeah, the 68 Kilties did something in the middle of Strike up the Band that included a one bar (in 4/4 time) from a "snippet" from Royal Airs, Cavvies, Des Plaines Vanguard, and I think that's it - was actually very typical of Ken Norman's genius and his sense of humor! Chatanooga Choo Choo got a lot of play by Kilties as well, along with MacArthur Park.

Trademarks - wow - there were alot of them - naturally, Auld Lang Syne by the Plaid, Bully by the Cavaliers, How the West Was Won by the Troopers (also Hang Em High), some others that stick in my mind are Watermelon Man by Royal Airs (LOVED the screeching sops!), Danny Boy by 27th, You'll Never Walk Alone by Madison Scouts, Conquest by Boston, and tons of others that others will remember better than I!

Now here's an example of differing perspectives...for me RCM will ALWAYS be a Vanguard chart, because I saw their 87 show long before I heard the Xmen version.

Likewise, I'm sure there are some people out there who will always identify "Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra" and "Short Ride in a Fast Machine" with Cadets and SCV, even though I would identify them thge opposite way.

BD...Legend of the One Eyed Sailor
\

Oh yeah. B) And don't forget If We Were in Love. I love that one!

Cavies- Somewhere Over the Rainbow

Spirt- Georgia

Madison- Softly As I Leave You, Malga

Star- When You Wish Upon a Star