Great Female Soloists

Barbara Maroney

Bonnie Ott

With this posting, the thread could've been closed, imo.

:music: Barbara Maroney, Bonnie Ott :music:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't there just a thread on this a couple of weeks ago?

Oh yah, Bonnie Ott.

You guys ever hear Bonnie Ott and/or Barbara Moroney? They's pretty good. We should do a thread about them.

Yes and add to it Bonnie Ott

Barb was a tremendous soloist. I had a chance to talk with her about her work at Garfield several years ago:

Middle Horn Leader

I also did a very brief interview with Bonnie Ott around the same time. Bonnie moved to Wisconsin and was on staff with the Appleton corps when her brother Jim was killed. She dropped out of the activity for quite a few years, but was beginning to see shows again by the early 90s. She moved back to California and was going back to school to obtain a nursing degree (as of '92).

I wasnt born yet, so I obv dont know... is this the lady who was missing an arm, hence the way the Cadets do their horns-up?

Yes and no. Barbara Maroney was born without a left arm from the elbow down...hence the use of a prosthetic arm (in 83 they simply tied the glove fingers around the bottom of the mello...in 84 she had a claw that closed around the valve casings)

But the unique horns up was not done to accomodate her. It was just to be different....besides, if you watch the 83 vid, there IS a snap down in the show which she would've had to have done to not stick out visually.

Other great soloists (since Barb got mentioned)...Diane Fashing....86 BD (sop soloists framed by the cymbals in Channel One Suite)....and of course, from the same show....Mike Collins....the Bearded Wonder!

Yes and no. Barbara Maroney was born without a left arm from the elbow down...hence the use of a prosthetic arm (in 83 they simply tied the glove fingers around the bottom of the mello...in 84 she had a claw that closed around the valve casings)

WOW.... mad props to her... that woman is a DCI icon for the ages....

i think my favorite "soloist" would probably be Kristy Spears...