Memories of Butler

I had the worst show of my drum corps career at Butler prelims in 1973. I was sick as a dog, miserable...you know that kind of sick that brings the whiney kid out of you...it was wet, hot....we wore white bucks and I was sick so I didn't buff all of the polish off of them so I had huge white streaks up the inside of my nice dark green pants...I had the biggest P#$%^ of a horn instructor yell me a new one...all I wanted to do was kick his a@@, but I was sooo sick. The show must go on though....an idea for a new thread...What show did you march where you were so sick you wanted to not march.

I think I may have even ticked that show too.... :sshh:

I was sick that time...we were in Mount Vernon, OH and a bunch of us were taken to the hospital. We did Marion and then Butler, what fun those days were.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

While not a Buttler moment this is right up ther with the Ski-burger story. The corps would take us for fast food and while waiting in line I would say, in ear shot of the restraunt staff that the other bus was about 45 min. behind us.They were usually overwelmed with unexpected large numbers to start with and after hearing my comment the manager would have them throwing lots of food on the grill for the non-existant bus

:beer: . So if you sometimes felt unwelcome at fast food places :beer: ................your welcome.

I'll always remember 1982's American International Open in Butler as the first championship show (prelims/finals) victory in the history of Suncoast Sound. This win coming on the heels of our first win ever, three days earlier at Springfield Ill.

(Of course, none of the big boys were there but it was a proud moment none the less).

Edited by Russellrks

Speaking of Butler, and being sick........We were on our way to Butler in 1977, I was on the Ghetto Bus as usual, and right in front of the main entrance to the Greater Pittsburgh Airport, I stumbled to the front of the bus and told Ralph he needed to pull over......NOW!!!! We had a couple of little ditties we would shout to Ralph when we had a need. Like.."Ooo laa wee, Ghetto's gotta ###." or "Ooo laa woop, Ghetto's gotta poop." That time, of course, it was "Ooo laa wook, Roma's gotta puke." There I was, next to the bus, with 30,000 people driving into the airport and my buds hanging out the windows, watching me heaving up my cookies. NIIICE! Back into the bus, kindly offered a trash can and off we went. Needless to say, everone moved as far back as they could and left me, Ralph and the bucket alone in the front. I wonder if RALPH enjoyed hearing his name over.....and over....and over. When we got to Butler, where we were staying in the Rod and Gun Club, there were only two one holers. One for the guys, and one for the gals. Guess who had the gals all to herself. Now I had the toilet AND the bucket, and needed them both, at the same instant. IS THIS enough information for you all?

I missed the show that night, in my sleeping bag, sweating and chilling and running to the bathroom, all by myself in the Rod and Gun Club. I was almost normal when the 'Coats showed up after the show, and were they ###### at me.

Speaking of Butler, and being sick........We were on our way to Butler in 1977, I was on the Ghetto Bus as usual, and right in front of the main entrance to the Greater Pittsburgh Airport, I stumbled to the front of the bus and told Ralph he needed to pull over......NOW!!!! We had a couple of little ditties we would shout to Ralph when we had a need. Like.."Ooo laa wee, Ghetto's gotta ###." or "Ooo laa woop, Ghetto's gotta poop." That time, of course, it was "Ooo laa wook, Roma's gotta puke." There I was, next to the bus, with 30,000 people driving into the airport and my buds hanging out the windows, watching me heaving up my cookies. NIIICE! Back into the bus, kindly offered a trash can and off we went. Needless to say, everone moved as far back as they could and left me, Ralph and the bucket alone in the front. I wonder if RALPH enjoyed hearing his name over.....and over....and over. When we got to Butler, where we were staying in the Rod and Gun Club, there were only two one holers. One for the guys, and one for the gals. Guess who had the gals all to herself. Now I had the toilet AND the bucket, and needed them both, at the same instant. IS THIS enough information for you all?

I missed the show that night, in my sleeping bag, sweating and chilling and running to the bathroom, all by myself in the Rod and Gun Club. I was almost normal when the 'Coats showed up after the show, and were they ###### at me.

Did anyone ever DRINK the water in Butler ??

Better have you in you're sleeping bag than "RALPHING" all over the field !!! ampssuck

Edited by ODBC