Trumpet=Soprano?

Is it OK to call the Bb horns sopranos, contras, ect?  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Is it OK to call the Bb horns sopranos, contras, ect?

• Yes
    • No

....Call a Sorpano bugle a Trumpet in Sr corps and prepare to get reemed......

As my fellow Kiltie, Guapo, would say, "it's funny 'cause it's true" :worthy:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am suprised that there a whole 1/3 of people actually do not think it is OK to call the horns by the names of their range. Any reason?

I usually call trumpets sopranos in drum corps, and trumpets in band/marching band.

I will NEVER refer to a marching contra as a "tuba," unless they begin to march Sousaphones, in which case, I'd probably leave DCI.

~>conner

I think it would have been great if the activity would have held onto historical terms (sops, baris, contras, etc.) if for no other reason than to honor its past. However, it seems to me that most corps have moved on - so be it.

Of course it is more than ok to hang onto the historical terms. What I don't understand is when one of us dinosaurs gets in bunch over the use of the term trumpet when referring to a trumpet.

just dont call em woodwinds

thats the best awnser

:P

I usually call trumpets sopranos in drum corps, and trumpets in band/marching band.

I will NEVER refer to a marching contra as a "tuba," unless they begin to march Sousaphones, in which case, I'd probably leave DCI.

~>conner

Whatever you call them is fine, really, but out of curiosity why would you not call a tuba a tuba?

I realize that this doesn't mean anything to anyone other than me, but here it is.

I play trumpet. I have one in Bb, C, Eb, and G. They are all different from each other in the way they play.

The two I play the most are the Bb and the G. The G is a totally different beast from my Bb. I love them both, but I refer to my G as my soprano and my Bb as my trumpet. Last season, I was listening to a brass tape on the way back from the Kingston, NY show. One of the brass judges paid a compliment to Hunter and me about being able to play in tune with each other in the upper register. This compliment was marred by the fact that he referred to us playing our "trumpets". Technically, he was correct, but it absolutely drove me nuts for a month.

It is true that it is a G trumpet, but in my heart it will always be a sop and I will always call it a sop. :)

I realize that this doesn't mean anything to anyone other than me, but here it is.

I play trumpet. I have one in Bb, C, Eb, and G. They are all different from each other in the way they play.

The two I play the most are the Bb and the G. The G is a totally different beast from my Bb. I love them both, but I refer to my G as my soprano and my Bb as my trumpet. Last season, I was listening to a brass tape on the way back from the Kingston, NY show. One of the brass judges paid a compliment to Hunter and me about being able to play in tune with each other in the upper register. This compliment was marred by the fact that he referred to us playing our "trumpets". Technically, he was correct, but it absolutely drove me nuts for a month.

It is true that it is a G trumpet, but in my heart it will always be a sop and I will always call it a sop. :)

Being primarily in the band world..I had the opposite experience. One music performance judge tends to call a tuba a 'contra'....it was jarring the first time I heard it, but since this person is a great judge it really matters "not at all" IMO...

Whatever you call them is fine, really, but out of curiosity why would you not call a tuba a tuba?

Mike,

Even way back in the 80s when I was in high school, our band marched shoulder carried tubas.. we called them "contras" -- we tended to make the distinction about them by how they were held.

On the lap=tuba. On the shoulder=contra.

Even though we were wiping the field with other bands as a "corps-style" band in a "big-10-style" universe.. we still had judges asking on our tapes, "where are your sousaphones? Why aren't any of your pictures centered on the 50?"

Those were usually the tapes our staff gave us to laugh about on the busses going home.

Stef

Edited by ScribeToo