Trumpet=Soprano?

Is it OK to call the Bb horns sopranos, contras, ect?  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Is it OK to call the Bb horns sopranos, contras, ect?

• Yes
    • No

you wouldn't call a trumpet a soprano in a concert setting, and you wouldn't call a tuba a contra in the same setting.

Which is exactly why I say "contra" in drum corps and "tuba" everywhere else.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To brutally beat a dead horse...it's okay to call tubas contrabasses and trumpets sopranos. As has been stated, the G horns got those names because of what voice they were in the brass choir. (And because nobody wanted to keep calling them "small bugles," "big bugles," and "fair-to-middlin' bugles.") Shift all of your horns up or down a bit in pitch, and there you go-- same voices.

Since it hasn't become an inaccurate description of what the horns do and because it's traditional, it's okay to still use these terms.

We just called them trumpets and tubas. Occasionally someone would say contras, but we never made a big deal about it.

What's the point? We have other things to worry about...

We just called them trumpets and tubas. Occasionally someone would say contras, but we never made a big deal about it.

What's the point? We have other things to worry about...

I think we just called them both, with no rhyme or reason...I can't even remember. (We did call the tuba/contra section "sousies" as in Sousaphones if we wanted to rile them up, though.)

I call them like I see them.So do the manufacuters of these instruments.

Call a Sorpano bugle a Trumpet in Sr corps and prepare to get reemed.

Same could be said for Contra

Edited by camel lips

Most corps don't use soprano bugles anymore, so don't still call them that. They're trumpets, tubas, baritones, mellophones... And clarinets, saxaphones, flutes, etc...

heh. heh. heh.

honestly, i like to call an instrument it's actual name. you wouldn't call a trumpet a soprano in a concert setting, and you wouldn't call a tuba a contra in the same setting. if i were to have taught drum corps in the days of the G-pitched instruments, i still would have called them trumpets, tubas, mellos, etc. because that's what they are. they aren't sopranos, they aren't altos. that's describing the voicing that they play. i prefer to call an instrument by it's name. c-trumpet, Bb-trumpet, g-trumpet, c-tuba, f-tuba, etc.

Wouldn't the "proper" term be soprano bugle as in alto saxophone or bass clarinet? Also, a contra bass bugle has different physical properties than a tuba. If tubas were suitable for the field, John Phillip would've never cursed us with the Sousaphone.

i'd call trumpets sopranos... they are the highest voice in the brass choir... and since i came from G bugle land, "tuba" doesn't exist in DCI

never call sopranos trumpets... ouch

Edited by trooper11