Lake Erie Regiment to go inactive for 2006

I am so sorry to hear that the Regiment will be idol this year.

My son Kyle started with the Regiment the first year it was in existance, he was 11 going on 12. He resisted that first year and I made him stick it out. He continued for the next 6 years, played high school band and is now a member of the Erie Thunderbirds. He has traveled all over this country and met some great people and had the experience of a lifetime, mostly funded by fund raisers.

There are many dedicated volunteers associated with the Regiment and most of them have been there since day one. Notice I said VOLUNTEERS. Many have children that have marched and are now grown, but are still offering their time.

The Erie Thunderbirds have recieved many talented musicians that were former Regimentmembers, and we are proud to have them and hope to continue keeping our Corps young with new members from the Regiment.

I can think of no better way for a young person to get involved in music, travel for the summer, and have comradery, and the experience of a lifetime, by joining The Lake Erie Regiment.

They will be sadly missed this year. :(

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, let's think about this for a second. What does a corps like LER have to offer a kid that they can not get from HS band?

A more advanced and competitive group? Nope

Better instruction? No way - the Lake Erie staff has been substandard since 1999

Better equipment? Nope -

More touring opportunities? No, LER didnt go when championships were far away

Kids are auditioning to be a part of a specific drum corps experience. They are not desperate for performance or cometitive situations.

Please tell me why a student should join a group that ofers nothing except the opportunity to spend about $1000? If you are asking a kid to invest in a corps, the corps needs to offer something in return.

Learn your facts.

Only providing facts to the earlier posting about my corps.

We did not go to finals twice to the best of my recollection: Florida and Denver as we couldn't afford the trip in terms of cash (true) but also in terms of enough staff and support people due to running out of vacation time.

Last season we performed in 22 shows which I believe was very respectable for a Div III corps. As mentioned, we did attain finalist status at DCI's

Our dues were $350 not $1,000

Last year we accepted an educational endorsement from Yamaha and replaced the entire pit ensemble with all brand new instruments. More replacements were to come in the future. The year before last, we replaced our entire fleet with newer busses, trucks and staff vans to enable us to travel better.

Our staff was comprised of some of the finest people I have ever had the chance to work with. They were the best and did a great job.

And lastly, we did most of all this with volunteers so we could keep the experience affordable for the kids in our area. The money actually went into the fuel tanks, food and housing. These are the facts, not emotions, just facts. Thank you!

Well put Ray, Better than how I was going to put it. As a veteran of this corps I am very sad to see this, some of the best times in my life and definatley the most memorable were with this group. People like Center X need to shut their mouths, very uncalled for. You obviously didnt know what you were talking about, so why say anything?

Ray Luniewski, Director of Lake Erie Regiment is one of the really good guys I've met in the activity. I thank him for the wisdom and guidance he provided to DCM when DCM was still active. The division II/III portion of the activity will be diminished without his corps active. I can only hope that LER will be able to field again in the future.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, let's think about this for a second. What does a corps like LER have to offer a kid that they can not get from HS band?

A more advanced and competitive group? Nope

Better instruction? No way - the Lake Erie staff has been substandard since 1999

Better equipment? Nope -

More touring opportunities? No, LER didnt go when championships were far away

Kids are auditioning to be a part of a specific drum corps experience. They are not desperate for performance or cometitive situations.

Please tell me why a student should join a group that ofers nothing except the opportunity to spend about $1000? If you are asking a kid to invest in a corps, the corps needs to offer something in return.

My son marched with Regiment, then when band camp started, he was there, because the drum corps season was over by then. He did both. Where are you getting your screwed up information from???

My son marched with Regiment, then when band camp started, he was there, because the drum corps season was over by then. He did both. Where are you getting your screwed up information from???

I believe his screwed up information is called "ignorance". It's much easier to use than finding out actual facts, after all.

I believe his screwed up information is called "ignorance". It's much easier to use than finding out actual facts, after all.

Gadget..........'member that "do not feed the troll thingee?"...........Hey, if yinz' aren't busy.....we know of your talent.......East High School (ya .....you been there) Sunday March 12th 1-5 p.m. 2 for 1 wings and half priced pitchers at the Plymouth Tavern after you've blown your ### off. We got us a great Bari line.....and you would just make it that much better :blink: Give Greg Weiss a call........

Gadget..........'member that "do not feed the troll thingee?"...........Hey, if yinz' aren't busy.....we know of your talent.......East High School (ya .....you been there) Sunday March 12th 1-5 p.m. 2 for 1 wings and half priced pitchers at the Plymouth Tavern after you've blown your ### off. We got us a great Bari line.....and you would just make it that much better :rock: Give Greg Weiss a call........

I work all weekend. My schedule essentially rules out any drum corps performing. Heck, I've yet to attend a Glassmen Alumni Ensemble rehearsal and that's where I marched. :(

Very easy to bash the messenger, but foolish to ignore the message. If "the facts" were incorrect, then please present contradictory evidence

The irrefutable fact is that kids did not join the corps.

Why not?

Could it be possible they get all the competitve experience they want through marching band, indoor percussion & guard? Could it be possible their scholastic groups provide well funded, staff and equipped organizations for members to join? This isn't a knock on the "new front ensemble equipment the corps acquired "- it is a statement that what they offer IS NO BETTER THAN WHAT KIDS ALREADY PLAY ON. Not going to finals 2x in the last 8 years however, was a statement that the corps was not offering its members the same competitive experience that its competitors were. No doubt the staff were the best human beings ever put on earth. What they weren't were educators that kept members involved or attracted new members to a program.

From reading all the heartfelt testimonials lauding the management of LER I am sure that they had the best intentions - unfortunately intentions dont march low brass posts.

LER was unable to maintain their core of members from a few years ago when they marched almost 60 members. They failed to attract new members. They are now inactive. Other groups have been able to regroup, bring in new staff and access a potential recruiting base. Revolution is a good example. It can be done. But obviously new methods or recrruiting and operations need to be employed.

Care to provide factual evidence to the contrary? Feel free - it could help prevent the next Div 3 corps from suffering the same fate.

Learn your facts.

Well put Ray, Better than how I was going to put it. As a veteran of this corps I am very sad to see this, some of the best times in my life and definatley the most memorable were with this group. People like Center X need to shut their mouths, very uncalled for. You obviously didnt know what you were talking about, so why say anything?

Edited by Center X

well, just to let you know--

it's not really a great idea to be so blunt immediately after a corps has gone inactive... I'm sure the people marching there, nor the staff appreciates what you are saying.

RAMD...

~>conner