Rockford = Santa Clara East

“We actually got in to town so early we stopped by the corps office and talked with Rick Valenzuela and met new visual staff member Stuart Shulman, who had just got in from O'Hare airport. Rick's a really nice guy and it's fun to have him with us. Stuart seems nice too.

Maybe this has been discussed, but I was all "Saywhaaaa??" Stuart Shulman, SCV drum major for the last 382 years, joins RV on the Phantom staff? I mean, good for him and all, but am I the only one surprised that the face of SCV for the past 5 years immediately joins his old director in Rockford? You would think they would have at least found room for him in Santa Clara, especially with the staff turnover.

I know that age-outs jump on any chance they have to join a staff, but geez. He bleeds red and green, and now he gets to be part of the black, white, or red debate.

Here's the story

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe this has been discussed, but I was all "Saywhaaaa??" Stuart Shulman, SCV drum major for the last 382 years, joins RV on the Phantom staff? I mean, good for him and all, but am I the only one surprised that the face of SCV for the past 5 years immediately joins his old director in Rockford? You would think they would have at least found room for him in Santa Clara, especially with the staff turnover.

I know that age-outs jump on any chance they have to join a staff, but geez. He bleeds red and green, and now he gets to be part of the black, white, or red debate.

Here's the story

It seems pretty common for corps members to have staff/director loyalty. I've heard tons of stories about staff member X going from one corps to another and tons of members going with him. I don't think it's too odd that Mr. Shulman to follow his former corps director (who as drum major I'm sure Shulman worked closely with) to another organization.

--

doug

I suppose you could argue that the same kind of relationship should exist between CORPS and its members.

That it should... Either way, someone was given an opportunity with someone he knew from a previous corps experience and he took it... Had Vanguard offered him a position (which they very well could have) my opinion still wouldn't change.

Good for Stu, he's a great guy. He has a job in drum corps.

In the age where Deion Sanders can go from the Falcons to Dallas, to San Fransisco, and retire and come back as a Raven, and baseball teams switch rosters like underwear, I dont think it should matter one bit. A little free-agency style drum corps........

~G~

Switching teams doesn't change loyalty...

Troopers Brass caption head Jason Buckingham started out with Troopers and ended up following an old staff member to Star, where he aged out... He still is loyal to the blue and the gold, but wanted to continue his education with a familiar face... Several members did that this year to the Colts and other corps in light of the Troopers situation.

I plan on returning to the Troop when they are OK'd for competition again and i know i'm not the only one... hopefully 2007... The whole tax stuff was sent in recently, and DCI has been checking on us, and in the near future, so hopefully good news all across the board.

Its called networking. Just as in the business world, its not always what you know, its who you know.

Its much easier to get a job with someone who knows you than someone who doesn't know you.

Besides, who's to say the SCV even offered him a job this season?

Good comment, I concur!