DCI and DCA's relationship? (curiosity killing me)

In the way most corps outside of DCI's top 6 don't interest me, that wasn't very interesting to me, either. It's been done.

When you basically take DCI designers, only with less time to practice and older, most likely less fit members, what do you really expect?

The two main things I liked about my DCI experience were the amazing camraderie that only an 85-day tour can provide, and the amazing performance levels we achieved. DCA offers neither of these to me.

I'm not downplaying your accomplishments, because I'm sure it takes a lot of effort to produce a show in a short amount of time, but that's not necessarily something that interests me.

A respected band director once said to me, "I'm over drum corps...only the top few corps are worth watching. Anyone can get good at something by repeating it over and over again." I agree with him. I don't think I could tell you what any corps outside of the top 4 played this year.

Yes, I know I have an extreme viewpoint, and I'm probably going to take a lot of heat for saying what I have, but I don't care. It's how I feel....and there's nothing wrong with sharing your opinion.

Most (but not all, unfortunately) DCA corps do not simply rehash junior corps shows. I would also say that despite the inherent differences, that does not automatically mean that one type of corps is better or more exciting than the other.

Obviously, there are a lot of great and exciting junior corps. However, for example, I once saw a senior corps follow three former DCI World Champions in a row (SCV, BD and Cadets) ... and get a longer and louder standing ovation than all of them.

The bottom line is that I enjoy both for what they are.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's valid for DCI to say that marching ends at 21.

The activity, as it is experienced through DCI, ends at 21.

In my three years of marching div 1, I think I probably met 5 people, in my own corps and others, who had ever marched senior corps. Most of the members I know couldn't even name more than two senior corps.

DCI and DCA are two completely different animals. I think modern fans who are fans of both are the exception, not the rule.

then they need to say marching IN DCI ends at 21, as marching doesn't end at 21 everywhere, just there.

and you'd be surprised, at up til about 2 years ago, how much crossover there was in the stands.

I am not a spokesman for anyone in this thread, but the fact is that DCI and DCA have been working for their mutual success quite a bit lately.

As one example, if you look in the last copy of DCI Today, you will see an large advertisement encouraging people to march in a DCA corps after they age out.

Also, DCI corps have started occassionally appearing in DCA shows, and vice versa.

It's all good.

and getting much better, which is great news.

I guess I was mostly posting out of spite.

Because of my interactions with senior corps members and advocates on DCP, any chance that I will ever participate in DCA has been ruined.

It's a lot easier to promote your own organization when you're not simultaneously bashing another one, you know.

the shame is many people that bash one or the other dont bash based on their preference of DCI or DCA. I love DCI minus one really bad rules change, and my bashing has nothing to do with my love of DCA, as it has more to do with ######## rules changes and hypocrisy

Oh, now I remember - that was a "DCI" event. Good point. But....

OK, now you're confusing me. I do remember the event being somehow promoted via DCI. But if DCI didn't do their usual job in that role, why then does it sound as if your criticism is being turned toward DCA? (Maybe I'm just misreading this.)

agreed. while DCA has run there for years, it was a DCI promoted event

Well then, it sounds like your problem is not with DCI and their lack of association with DCA

Well, I don't think I've ever claimed to have a problem with DCI. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've made it clear that I'm an avid supporter. I love DCI, always have. Always will. That most certainly is NOT my issue.

...but with Steve Rondinaro and his symantics. Is it worth getting worked up about?

You may have hit the nail on the head. "Is it worth getting worked up about"? Very good question. I've asked myself the same question. I suppose the affirmative answer would be "yes, it's worth it because it really hurts the feelings of members of DCA corps when comments like that are made with the insinuation that nothing outside of DCI exists called drum corps other than what you are seeing on your television screen". Do you recall the message that was posted a while back on this thread (I think) where a senior corps member came home from a long day of DCA activities and a rain out to come home and hear "after 21 you can march no longer"? It DOES hurt when DCA members hear that. And naturally, they work their butts off every weekend of the summer with NO full day off outside of work and drum corps, tire themselves working a drum corps show up to be the very best it can be and then someone comes along as says "drum corps doesn't exist after the age of 21". I've never even marched senior corps and I KNOW it has to hurt for a member to hear that. That's why I'm making such a big deal out of it.

Oh....Maybe I am making too big a deal out of it though. I don't know. I guess I'm just trying to stand up for those who bust their tails doing drum corps who never get the kind of recognition they deserve is all. I suppose the old senior corps stigma of people thinking it's just a bunch of drum corps wash ups honking on a bugle very badly while downing a keg with no attempt to be good at what they do has never quite been defeated. So, I guess where I'm getting at is that times have changed. People need to open their eyes and look at what is going on in DCA and recognize it for what it is. There are good things going on and I just want people to know it and see it. Is that such a bad thing? This is my first year involved with DCA and I myself am a product of once being brainwashed into thinking that DCA was nothing legit in the world of drum corps. Now that I see it, I guess I'm just eager to say "HEY! Don't forget us. We are doing it too". Again, is that such a bad thing?

I am not a spokesman for anyone in this thread, but the fact is that DCI and DCA have been working for their mutual success quite a bit lately.

As one example, if you look in the last copy of DCI Today, you will see an large advertisement encouraging people to march in a DCA corps after they age out.

Also, DCI corps have started occassionally appearing in DCA shows, and vice versa.

It's all good.

WONDERFUL!!! See, I'm so out of the loop still. I have been very active in the BOA scene for years but this is the first year I have been involved in Drum Corps since I aged out in 95. I don't know what's going on in the context of this type of stuff? That's why I started this thread - to find out. I'm glad to read this post. In fact, now I wish I could take back just about every post I made because apparently it was all based on assumption. I guess I just believed what I had been reading and hearing about DCA and DCI's relationship. Mabye, I should stop taking what I read on this thing so seriously. :huh: Instead, maybe I should just go to the source itself from now on - like...maybe it's time to renew my subscribtion to DCI today. :) BTW, I do miss recieving it. Not sure I ever canceled it either. :huh:. Just stopped showing up one day. Time to give em a call I guess and get that done.

Drumlaw80, thank you for giving me a clear answer (and one that I wanted to hear). I will now drop this subject - satisfied to know that DCA and DCI ARE INDEED scratching each other's backs and recognizing one another. As it should be because they are BOTH fantistic activities with common goals that SHOULD be united.

Case closed.

Edited by torn8o

Most (but not all, unfortunately) DCA corps do not simply rehash junior corps shows. I would also say that despite the inherent differences, that does not automatically mean that one type of corps is better or more exciting than the other.

Obviously, there are a lot of great and exciting junior corps. However, for example, I once saw a senior corps follow three former DCI World Champions in a row (SCV, BD and Cadets) ... and get a longer and louder standing ovation than all of them.

The bottom line is that I enjoy both for what they are.

Drumlaw makes another post I agree with. See, that's the thing. Everyone has so many misconceptions of DCA corps and shows. Man! Go get some RECENT DCA recordings people. You will be amazed at what is being accomplished by these corps. And on WEEKENDS ONLY!!!! SHEESH!!!! :huh:

there are plenty of cross over fans that enjoy both activities, DCI and DCA.

I am one of them. And, I guess I just wish that there were more who thought like that. What frusterates me is that I almost feel as though I MYSELF am being forced to choose sides. Can I just serve record very quicly by saying I DON'T WANNA. I'd rather just love and enjoy both and know that I am not alone in doing so. I love DCI. I love DCA. Why can't I just do that instead of feeling as though I have to take sides? For me, "drum corps is drum corps is drum corps". I love it ALL!!!!! Why can't the rest of us?

Edited by torn8o