1010 Wins Radio and the Caballeros

Kay

So I'm driving to NJ from Long Island this morning, as I sit in traffic on the Cross Bronx at 10:30 am (shocking I know right?), I'm tunning in and, all news all the time, yadda yadda.

So finally traffic starts to pick up and I cross the bridge, as I'm almost across I'm about to change from talk radio to music and out of no where "A report from John Mondone and the World Famous Hawthorne Caballeros" I nearly drove over the side into the Hudson friggen River!!!!

I hear the Bull Call, some horns in the back and this news reporter FOR ONCE telling the truth. "The Hawthorne Caballeros are famous all over the country and world wide for their famous Latin style music...................are celebrating their 60th anniversary" Then then interview George Hayek (an original member from 1946 still in the Alumni by the way).

People in the cars next to me must have thought "WTF - this chick with the NY plates is out of her mind, she's in joisey now and she's in her car by her self screaming at the radio (because it hears me ya know).

ANYHOW - what a thrill.

Happy 60th fellow Caballeros!!!

Anyone else hear it? (You should ALWAYS listen to 1010wins in NY area for traffic, they can tell you you're sitting in traffic for no reason)

I remember John Montone very well from my days in NJ radio news.... a good guy and very solid reporter. We worked together on a couple of public-affairs interview programs at WPAT back in the day.

That's great to hear he did a piece on the Cabs, and that George was the guy he interviewed!!!!! 1010 WINS has a huge audience... good exposure for the Caballeros, for sure.

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

huge exposure...i can pick up 1010 in Harrisburg. Wish I had known it was coming

huge exposure...i can pick up 1010 in Harrisburg. Wish I had known it was coming

yes you can. while i was in highschool i had a summer job that took me into NY and NJ about twice a month. and i remember listning to stations from NY and NJ all the way to harrisburg. too bad i was never fourtunet enough to have picked up something like that.

I remember when 1010 WINs was a rock 'n roll station with "Cousin Brucie". God am I showing my age.

:blink:

I believe it was WABC-AM Music Radio 77! Scott Muni, Cousin Bruce Morrow, Chuck Leonard, Ron Lundy,Dan Ingram and more. Always had WABC on my radio going to corps rehearsals and shows.

Then there was WMCA with Murray the K and others.

I listened to both but WABC was king of the rock and roll airwaves until FM radio showed up.

I am showing my age too!!!!!!!

I believe it was WABC-AM Music Radio 77! Scott Muni, Cousin Bruce Morrow, Chuck Leonard, Ron Lundy,Dan Ingram and more. Always had WABC on my radio going to corps rehearsals and shows.

I listened to both but WABC was king of the rock and roll airwaves until FM radio showed up.

I'm a bit older (unfortunately for me :blink: ). Cousin Brucie actually started his radio career in NYC on WINS 1010 before a big hubbub was mad about his switch to WABC. It was right after his move the WABC that WINS 1010 became all news all the time.

Anyway, Congrats to Cabs for 60 years. It was definitely an honor getting my butt kicked on occasion as well as kicking your's on occasion as well. Here's hoping you have another quality filled 60 years.

don't forget Double U ENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN Bee Cee

:P

I'm a bit older (unfortunately for me :blink: ). Cousin Brucie actually started his radio career in NYC on WINS 1010 before a big hubbub was mad about his switch to WABC. It was right after his move the WABC that WINS 1010 became all news all the time.

I got an e-mail recently from one of my old radio bosses about when WINS made the switch to all-news..... it caused a sensation at the time, with several "experts" saying it would never work, etc.

But the rest, as they say, is history! WINS, in part due to its easy-to-follow format and no-nonsense, "get-to-the-point" style, consistently scores among the highest quarter-hour shares of any radio station in NYC. They have a LOT of listeners tuned in at any given time.

Fran