Choreography For The Pit

I know a certain percussion instructor *cough* that, when teaching front ensembles, puts a STRONG emphasis on the fact that percussion is a visual art as well as an audio art, and that since the pit members are closest to the audience, their expression can have a great impact on the overall effect.

As for choreography for such expression, I suppose movement can be loosely organized without being too cheesy.

My .02.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with natural body movement to accentuate dynamic phrasing, especially when playing a run. There is also nothing with moving around a little, bobbing your head, and depending on the kind of music or groove that is being played, smiling a little bit. I'm a firm believer in letting your expressions further portray the music.

Something I was told by one of my pit techs is that if you start at the front of the field and work your way back, obviously, the front ensemble is going to be the first thing you see. Not only does a guard do a great job of telling a story, and the hornline/drumline accentuate phrases with various visual movements, but if I would look at the front ensemble, they would definitely suck me in if their expressions matched what was going on with the music, and the more uniformed they were, the more I'd be impressed. :)

Hope my rambling makes sense.

I'd like to see pits contribute more, visually.

Movement is really important for any kind of field musicians. The distance to the audience is great and things need to be visually "amplified." We used to have a saying that if they don't see it, they probably won't hear it. This is even more true now, we (or I) tend to visually "tune out" the pit while watching the field movement. A little visual flash draws audience attention to the section, hopefully at appropriate times.

I see way too many mallet players standing stiff and straight, and piston stroking the humanity and musicality out of every piece. If they "emote" it just looks dumb and forced, usually because they are trying too hard. Feel the music honestly, then turn it up a notch and it will look pretty good.

I wish I hadn't used the term "choreography." I never had visions of the pit literally dancing around together. But the above posts (edited) are more of what I had in mind. Again, because the pit is so close to the fans, it just seems to me that it would significantly enhance shows visually if more (even some) attention was given to these important performers to perform with added style, energy, personality, and showmanship. Yes, as I stated in post 3 or 4, too much could indeed be cheesy. However, I still believe that the pit may very well be an untapped resource in contributing to the visual aspect of drum corps performances. Just my opinion. B)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"So, we're going to have this masquerade piece. I know! Humongous furry masks!"

:peek:

lol

Didn't look through the whole thread, but how about Madison Scouts 99? They had a pretty active pit. Especially after the Euph solo/duet thing right after the company front that does a ripple turn around.

The percussion pit.

You can flame/blast/ban me here, and I know that the percussionists in the Pit are doing their best, but drum corps demands that people march on the field.

So musically, the pit adds a great deal, but from a drum corps perspective, I really don't get their connection to drum corps - and this has nothing to do with the talented percussionists in the pit - I just don't "get" pit percussion. Other than they're great percussionists!

It's pretty simple, really. The players can add alot more to the musical performance as a stationary ensemble than if they were to be marching keyboards and timps on the field.

I guess I don't understand the desire to see the pit do more visually. Their focus is, and rightly should be, on the music alone. The claim that they aren't contributing enough to the overall package is kind of disrespectful.

Edited by funkrocker049

The percussion pit.

You can flame/blast/ban me here, and I know that the percussionists in the Pit are doing their best, but drum corps demands that people march on the field.

So musically, the pit adds a great deal, but from a drum corps perspective, I really don't get their connection to drum corps - and this has nothing to do with the talented percussionists in the pit - I just don't "get" pit percussion. Other than they're great percussionists!

Yeah! and how about those pesky guys that just stand in the front waving their arms? They should be on the field marching!

And what about the fans in the stands? Shouldn't they be at home, making babies who will be the marching members of tomorrow?

Seriously, I've never seen a pit (a good pit, anyway) that didn't play with expression, grace, emotion, and all that good stuff. That was part of the appeal for me, what made me want to be a pithead--the individuality within the conformity. Nobody would deny SCV's snareline or Phantom's baritone section plays with exmotion, gracespaytion, and talentcellence. But they don't exactlty express themselves individually through their whole bodies--because their expression finds its object in movement and their hands, playing those great unison parts. So what if the pit isn't marching? It's not like they don't express themselves when they play.

And all you pit playa-hatas might want to build a bridge and get over it, because it's coming on 25 years now since it became a permissible option. Drumlines sound better, period, because of pit instruments.

I guess I don't understand the desire to see the pit do more visually. Their focus is, and rightly should be, on the music alone. The claim that they aren't contributing enough to the overall package is kind of disrespectful.

Although this post may not have been directed specifically toward me, as another poster was quoted, I just want to clarify. In no way do I mean to downgrade the contributions of fine pit musicians. I simply wanted to pose the question of whether it was possible that the pit performers could contribute more to the visual aspect of a drum corps show. That's all. It just seems like a natural consideration considering that they are the closest to the spectators. This thread was not in any way intended to offend anyone. I was simply wondering if drum corps shows could improve with attention given to this idea. I believe the performers and fans alike might very well enjoy shows more. Suggesting ideas for improvement should not be taken negatively.

a suggestion:

if your body is hunched down and you're visually telling me you are playing soft, the mallet heights should match

Snappettes recent post made me think about drum corps pits. I realize the pit performers are often plenty busy jumping from trap to trap, but I was wondering if it's possible that the pit players could become more involved in contributing to general effect. Of course, I'm not suggesting they march. I was just wondering if it's possible they could be allowed to be more active with limited (of course) expressive movements during their performance. Considering they are the closest to the fans in the stands, it seems that just their proximity would lend itself to adding a great deal to a show's energy and visual effect.

So what do you think, pit performers? I think the pit may possibly be a great untapped resource for enhanced showmanship?

I wonder how drum and bugle corps survives? Is corps this?

Sharon