Someday...(about BD 05)

I could have stood all the narration in the show, it was just the music, the arrangement was terrible, I think its time BD invest in a new arranger, cause I been watchin the same BD show only worse for the past 20 years, Wayne Downey's got to go. It wasn't music it was just choppy notes and randomn punctuations. But I liked the actuall theme of the show.

I'm hesitant to even waste the 30 seconds it will take me to respond to this. But, we will call it "just humoring you". How's that?

You've got to be out of your cotton picken head! Wayne Downey is as good as it gets and the music for 05 was just fine. In fact, the opening alone (which actually carries a very classic/signature Blue Devils sound if you actually LISTEN to it) gives me goosebumps every time I hear it. Go back to bed.

Edited by torn8o

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Some day" when you are a "BD Euph" :P , you will notice that the music arrangements say "Wayne Downey on them.

i heard that Wayne Downey stoped arranging the music in 2003

guess i some bad info

<**>

I think that a very big part of the "legend" of Star's 1993 show is that it was their last season ... if they had continued in DCI, either expanding on what they began in 1993 or morphing into something else, then that show might not be the "legend" it is. BUT, leaving the activity like they did with THAT show, well, that IS legendary.

i heard that Wayne Downey stoped arranging the music in 2003

guess i some bad info

<**>

I think you meant David Glyde, not Dave Gibbs. From what I hear, he writes the music but Wayne technically "arranges" it. I don't know, I've heard many different people say many different things and I'm not really sure who's right, so whatever.

That said, I really don't understand how people can say that the 05 brass book was anything like 03 or 04... This show had much more fully developed musical themes than either of those two, and I really enjoyed the development of melody through out each individual piece.

I mean, the opening part of prelude, fugue, and riffs was essentially the same that it is on the recording. I guess Bernstein was a choppy arranger?

I think that a very big part of the "legend" of Star's 1993 show is that it was their last season ... if they had continued in DCI, either expanding on what they began in 1993 or morphing into something else, then that show might not be the "legend" it is. BUT, leaving the activity like they did with THAT show, well, that IS legendary.

That IS a very good point. However, though they left the "drum corps" activity - they did not fold. With that came Star Of Indiana Brass Theater and Blast which actually did BOTH of what you said - "expanded upon what they began in 1993" while at the same time "morphed into something else" (very literally). So, I tend to think that though your point is a very good one - it only represents half of the truth of Star Of Indiana's evolution and thus - may not carry as much weight on the legend of the 1993 show as you might think. But, it's a matter of speculation and assumption so who knows?

Edited by torn8o

I think you meant David Glyde, not Dave Gibbs. From what I hear, he writes the music but Wayne technically "arranges" it. I don't know, I've heard many different people say many different things and I'm not really sure who's right, so whatever.

How about the source itself? Forget the rumors. Why don't you just contact the Blue Devils and ask - if it's that important and relevant to anything we are discussing?

Edited by torn8o

I don't think BD 05 will come to be a legend or classic show ever!

As others have stated the design was not misunderstood or over anyones head. To me it was just very poorly designed.

I love dance music and was really looking foward to this show.

BUT

They (the design team) took a specific event, not just the concept of dance, and then did absolutly nothing that had anything to do with that event.

They didn't play any music from the roaring 20's (or at least nothing that had that sound)

They didn't play any big band dance music until the very end of the show. (at least nothing recognizable)

Prelude Riffs and Fugue is a great piece which is not dance music and was written 3 or so decades later, not to mention I didn't recognize much of any of it.

The guard didn't wear anything from 1927 or even anything remotly like what current ball room dancers wear in competition. It didn't matter that they weren't with partners for the basic guard work through out the entire show, but the featured dancers down front should have been. That's the whole idea of a dance derby you have to dance WITH YOUR PARTNER.

Even the narration wasn't stylistically correct. I've listened to Radio DJ's from those early jazz era's on recordings and jazz radio stations. The dialogue, style, and pacing wasn't anything like the examples I've heard. And how many times do you really need to say Yowsa to get your point across???

The music had to stop every 30-45 seconds for the narration giving the impression that the narration, not the music, was most important and that the great BD brass line was playing backup to him. The music couldn't truely develop and keep the momentum going.

The only thing this show tried to do was show the tired aspect of a dance derby. And they did make me VERY tired after about 45 seconds into the show.

This show didn't educate or have any neat dance music.

Maybe the design team should have seen the documentary movie "Mad Hot Ballroom" before designing their show. A great movie!

Edited by shawn craig

That said, I really don't understand how people can say that the 05 brass book was anything like 03 or 04... This show had much more fully developed musical themes than either of those two, and I really enjoyed the development of melody through out each individual piece.

I mean, the opening part of prelude, fugue, and riffs was essentially the same that it is on the recording. I guess Bernstein was a choppy arranger?

I've heard this too, it was an interview with Scott Johnson and he said Glyde wirtes it out and Wayne voices and arranges it. Somebody played it for me, I'll see if I can't get a link to that site.

But... It dosen't matter. Wayne is one of if not the best ever.

Edited by bssop97