Or How about some of these:

Tom Martin

Bucky Swan

Gus Wilke Sr.

Truman Crawford

Ed Cozzolino

Brad Longdo...(Mike's dad)

Oh DA, you are too funny...........but,

you left Gary Winkleman off the list and he was an instrutor for The Blousemen (along with myself on drums) the first couple years.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh DA, you are too funny...........but,

you left Gary Winkleman off the list and he was an instrutor for The Blousemen (along with myself on drums) the first couple years.

Oops, I almost forgot.....Gary and I both have the original 'Staff' shirts for Blousemen and Cozz never had one, so how did he make your list??

I dont know Adam...I was told all I do is yell by someone recently. LOL....Guys like you are easy to teach. You want to be good. All I would have to do is remind you once in a while about small stuff.

But thanks!! I would love the opportunity to have that happen someday myself.

Donny

Mike Longdo taught me more about brass playing in 2 years than I ever learned in High School.

And I'll give John Arietano honorable mention in that regard.

i teach it every fall and marched a few of them too. on the plus side, i have seen Rich make it from the top of the scaffolding to the back of the field in 20 seconds :P

I think I saw the same thing when were in the 'burg.

Plus he told Mike Ryan exactly what he was doing wrong and lived to tell about it! :laugh:

In fact Jen, Chris Calhoun is for me the best ensemble guy EVER! This man can clean the brass section, perc., drill, color guard, pit, and the honor guard all at the same time!!! He's awesome!!

As for the best "brass instructor", for me, there's no doubt, Gino Cipriani!

:blink: Gen, I agree! Mr. Calhoun is maybe the only person who CAN do it ALL...from top to bottom. He was a great DM also. B)

I have always been the biggest proponent of Chris Calhoun... Had the priviledge of being his corps director for 4 years... in my 55 years in drum corps, he is singularly the most talented individual I have ever worked with. He is my pick as the OVERALL best/most talented all around drum corps person...

What more do you want? He can write/teach a drill on the highest level. He can arrange/teach both brass and drums on a world class level. He has a music degree in French Horn, but is better known as a drummer... and he can write/teach a WGI world class color guard program... and to top it off, he's the nicest guy you will ever meet.... and it should come as a surprise to no one that he has become fabulously successful in the corporate world. The balance of drum corps and real life is as commendable as anything... he was able to do all he has done without becoming a drum corps bum...

My second choice for best all around corps person would have to be Corky Fabrizio. Great musician & arranger and few know this but he is a very good visual person.

I was pleased to see Mike Londgo's name keep coming up... but I must add that the best brass man I ever worked under was his dad... Brad Londgo... I grew up working under him... brilliant musician who knew how to turn corps people who weren't all that talented in musicians who were talented... the consumant teacher. I doubt Mike would argue with my choice. and to give this choice a reality check... I worked under many of the BEST including Wayne Downey, Kenny Norman and too many others to mention...

Let me add also....I agree with Tom and everyone about Chris Calhoun. The cool thing about Chris is he is laid back and I mean "NO EGO!" He does what he does and he does it very well just being himself. A role model for other aspiring teachers. Thanks Chris for your contribution to our activity.