Where does colorguard go from here, your opinions

deftguy

Guard has transitioned from a miitary focus to a focus on dance and the body. We have now been in the era of the dance for about 20 years now, where does guard go from here? We all of this talk of innovation, isn't it about time for a change in style? Which direction would you like to see cologuards go in the future. More dance, less weapons, more props and sets, what are your ideas?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that the writing for guard varies depending on what kind of a show a corps is doing. I don't think that using less equipment or adding props and sets would be innovative or a step forward for guard. I would like to see equipment work layered with body in even more intricate, unique, exciting ways. A guard I felt pulled this off really well last season was Bluecoats.

I think about the only new innovation guards could bring to the activity would be something new to spin. But that'll never happen likely.

I'd say colorguard has hit the wall in its evolution to date. There is always room for creative equipment work and design, but there is really nothing new to do with guards unless some total new element or approach is taken.

If every piece of equipment were turned into a pseudo percussion instrument, such as with tiny bells, that would challenge the design of the equipment work to actually add to the music book. I have thought about ways to use magnetics with guard equipment. Some funky stuff could surely come of that.

Until they invent levitation devices or rocketbelts, I think guard has explored 99.9% of what can be done with a guard. All we can do now is re-invent the wheel with some added flare.

What a great thread!

And what a great question!

From a pre-DCI "old Schooler" I honestly don't know the answer!

More "dancing?" More "precision?" LESS dancing? Less precision? Less "artsy fartsy?" MORE artsy-fartsy?

More hard core drum corps? More/less "emoting" or smiling?

More "double back flip yama####as with a full twist?"

MORE?

Maybe the answer is found by combining the seasoned "old guard" with the serious and dedicated guard of the present - get LancerFI and Maggie Belle from SCV and Sally Brancheau and others from the old school - and some of the "youngsters" together and I truly believe you'll have the answer!

Ladies - pls hold the meeting at mi casa here in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico - I've got spare bedrooms and several ideas! Phone number and address is available via pm as necessary!

LOL, Rob!

I would like to see some of a return to the roots...more precision and hardcore equipment work and less ballet and "emoting". I don't think that every show has to have a "theme". Do different kinds of music that so the varietal aspects and "personality" of each guard.

I am reminded of WGI's "City Slickers", who were fan favorites in their brief time on the circuit. Yes, they did "theme" shows (General Hospital comes to mind first, then Spike Jones music), but the music wasn't all of the same.

I'd like to see more guard technique - precision, lots of tosses and "hard angles" and less soft, pretty ballet. I want a guard to go out there with "just TRY to find something wrong with me" attitude and let it echo through the equipment work.

LOL, Rob!

I would like to see some of a return to the roots...more precision and hardcore equipment work and less ballet and "emoting". I don't think that every show has to have a "theme". Do different kinds of music that so the varietal aspects and "personality" of each guard.

I am reminded of WGI's "City Slickers", who were fan favorites in their brief time on the circuit. Yes, they did "theme" shows (General Hospital comes to mind first, then Spike Jones music), but the music wasn't all of the same.

I'd like to see more guard technique - precision, lots of tosses and "hard angles" and less soft, pretty ballet. I want a guard to go out there with "just TRY to find something wrong with me" attitude and let it echo through the equipment work.

I agree about the precision for sure, but I think emoting definately has its place. If a guard can make you [/i]feel an emotion AND be precise.. that's what I think is the most fun to watch.

I also think "ballet" and "emoting" shouldn't be categorized as the same thing. A show can be written ballet like with hard angles and precision and have no emotion whatsoever. Cadets this year didn't really try to force feed you emotion but they had some of the best movement technique I've seen on the field (although I wouldn't call it ballet).

Speak of Cadets, I see the future of color guard being much like the Cadets this year... more planal exploration but not at the expense of cleanliness, and a more modern innovative way to work around the body. Unfortunately, most people don't practice as much as the Cadets, so to ask that much of performers is getting hard.. although high school guards are becoming more numerous and much more competitive, so there's more of a talent pool to choose from.

I don't know where else to go with guard... we've seen guards max out innovation in equipment/movement design, emotion and/or precision, and it seems to be a constant struggle to meld the three together. Hopefully some magicians will work their magic, make all three amazing in one guard and take the activity to a new level.

I agree about the precision for sure, but I think emoting definately has its place. If a guard can make you [/i]feel an emotion AND be precise.. that's what I think is the most fun to watch.

I also think "ballet" and "emoting" shouldn't be categorized as the same thing. A show can be written ballet like with hard angles and precision and have no emotion whatsoever. Cadets this year didn't really try to force feed you emotion but they had some of the best movement technique I've seen on the field (although I wouldn't call it ballet).

Speak of Cadets, I see the future of color guard being much like the Cadets this year... more planal exploration but not at the expense of cleanliness, and a more modern innovative way to work around the body. Unfortunately, most people don't practice as much as the Cadets, so to ask that much of performers is getting hard.. although high school guards are becoming more numerous and much more competitive, so there's more of a talent pool to choose from.

I don't know where else to go with guard... we've seen guards max out innovation in equipment/movement design, emotion and/or precision, and it seems to be a constant struggle to meld the three together. Hopefully some magicians will work their magic, make all three amazing in one guard and take the activity to a new level.

Zach,

While emoting may be good for putting a performer in character, it is not very visible if you are in the stands. That makes it a wasted move. Emoting is good for WGI because you are closer to the performer and therefore the facial expression is not lost to the audience. Somethings done in WGI such as emoting or any other subtle move does not translate well to large venues such as a football fields.

After about 20 years of ballet and modern dance, colorguard needs to move on to the next phase. I think a combination of old school and new school would be an interesting direction because alot of old school moves were really quite visiual, and big in scale. You would also give something to the old school to chew on, as well as something for today's kids to learn.

Yeah, I'm thinkin' that colorguard should just throw more STUFF in the air - higher, faster, and more precise - and NO DROPS!!!

b**bs

I'm certain that throwing a $5000 baritone or $10,000 contra in the air will make a director feel safe. :blink: