Where does colorguard go from here, your opinions

deftguy

perhaps a return to musicality in equipment vocabulary,more emphasis on technique,greater reward for creativity and having one's own unique identity.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very succinctly said, Dugg. Guards are pretty "homogenous" these days...no real "signature" style.

I think guard has also gone to the "ice skating mentality"...lots of tricks but nothing that relates to the music.

When I choreographed (back in the old days), I wanted the equipment work to be the "body" to the music's "voice". In other words, the equipment work should be the visual aspect to the music's aural aspect.

Make sense?

• 2 weeks later...

I know, I know, I KNOW how utterly wrong this sounds. I realize it's sacrilege and, believe me, I'm the LAST person I ever thought would say something this crazy but I have a true confession ... I watched Northern Lights at the Western Regionals and it was a breath taking show ... and I was truly moved and for the first time EVER, I was struck by the incongruity of such beauty layered together with weapons (ducks and runs). Seriously though, the music was John Lennon's "Imagine" and the choreography told the story so skillfully and thoughtfully .... (drops into a whisper) .... I couldn't help but wonder what it would look like without equipment.

Then I saw this thread today and was reminded of my thoughts at Western Regionals and wondered ... is that a possible direction for the activity? Could there be a division of the activity in our future? Could winterguard become a non-equipment activity and still be appealing to us? Could equipment be used only in field competition?

Can of worms officially opened. Don't beat me up -- even I can't believe what I'm saying. :sshh:

Well Jojo, what you are asking to see is just a dance show. Take the floor and plop it in a theater in which it fits and then you also have lighting, flyspace, wings, etc... Imagine what type of dance number that would be. Of course, it would be just that: dance. Take out the weapons of the Northern Lights show and the show would be less than it is now since everything was designed as part of a whole.

I know, I know, I KNOW how utterly wrong this sounds. I realize it's sacrilege and, believe me, I'm the LAST person I ever thought would say something this crazy but I have a true confession ... I watched Northern Lights at the Western Regionals and it was a breath taking show ... and I was truly moved and for the first time EVER, I was struck by the incongruity of such beauty layered together with weapons (ducks and runs). Seriously though, the music was John Lennon's "Imagine" and the choreography told the story so skillfully and thoughtfully .... (drops into a whisper) .... I couldn't help but wonder what it would look like without equipment.

Then I saw this thread today and was reminded of my thoughts at Western Regionals and wondered ... is that a possible direction for the activity? Could there be a division of the activity in our future? Could winterguard become a non-equipment activity and still be appealing to us? Could equipment be used only in field competition?

Can of worms officially opened. Don't beat me up -- even I can't believe what I'm saying. :sshh:

You wait till I see you at camp, I am going to beat you! :P This is sacrilege and you will pay for it ^0^ LOL

Jojo:

Yes, indeed, that would be a dance performance, not guard. The guard activity, by its definition, includes rifles, sabres, flags, and combinations thereof.

I hope guard doesn't go the way of dance performance only...sadly, though, that seems to be the direction.

As I said guys ... I know. Understand I'm not asking for that change to happen, I'm just wondering aloud. I don't think we're headed back to precision. I don't see dance becoming less a part of the activity. I'm following the logical progression laid out by the last couple of decades and putting the question out there. I think we're pretty close to plopping a theatrical performance onto a basketball court. Some guard shows have an almost cirque de soleil feel to them and a few of them are pretty enjoyable to watch -- and they look like a blast to perform.

For the record my rifle and I are attached at the hip forever. I'm an old school chick that first learned to tolerate and then finally appreciate the layering of equipment on top of movement. This past season I started judging equipment. I 'm an equipment oriented person. I'm not a real big fan of "tricks" though unless they're done expertly, suit the concept and the music ... and IMO, only a handful of guards have the skill to truly pull this off. Tricks gone wrong or done poorly are ugly.

And Terry ... BRING IT ON BABY! I was wondering where you were. We learned the entire opener this past weekend !!!

So what will winterguard look like in ten years if we use history as our guide?

I see the future of color guard as being more integrated directly with the hornline and drumline. I have a feeling that instead of it being it's own entity running around the field or through the hornline, the hornline, drumline, and color guard will have more of an even emphasis on the movement and story of the show.

Some people might say, "Hey, we have members from the hornline going out and partner dancing with the guard every once in awhile." This isn't to the same caliber as what I'm talking about. Often times, that's what I would call an attempt at integration between the three units.

I'm talking about something similar to fight club... except more throughout an entire show.

As far as where color guard is going.... I feel that there will be a push for more precision excellence to the level that there was during the "old school" era, only with the difficulty of today's integration of equipment and body. In other words, it's a combining of the two. The precision won't be the same... but it can be similar. I think every staff needs at least one person who understands technique in the ways that it used to be!

Also, I think dance still has a long way to grow in terms of different styles and training. Dance has been around forever, and guard has only scratched the surface.

I also predict that in 10 years there will still be flag features! :P

I see the future of color guard as being more integrated directly with the hornline and drumline. I have a feeling that instead of it being it's own entity running around the field or through the hornline, the hornline, drumline, and color guard will have more of an even emphasis on the movement and story of the show.

Some people might say, "Hey, we have members from the hornline going out and partner dancing with the guard every once in awhile." This isn't to the same caliber as what I'm talking about. Often times, that's what I would call an attempt at integration between the three units.

I'm talking about something similar to fight club... except more throughout an entire show.

As far as where color guard is going.... I feel that there will be a push for more precision excellence to the level that there was during the "old school" era, only with the difficulty of today's integration of equipment and body. In other words, it's a combining of the two. The precision won't be the same... but it can be similar. I think every staff needs at least one person who understands technique in the ways that it used to be!

Also, I think dance still has a long way to grow in terms of different styles and training. Dance has been around forever, and guard has only scratched the surface.

I also predict that in 10 years there will still be flag features! :P

Edit- Sorry, the emoting comment reminded me of something. I think staff will become even more detailed about the "look" that color guards want to give off when they are on the field. I believe we will see more variety instead of just "Hey I'm smiling with my jaw dropped all the time" kind of approach. Case in point Northern Lights- It is apparent that their staff has trained them to give a very realistic masculine look on the floor. When they walk on they are somber, and their walk is very natural. They are expressive, yet very subdued and carefree.

Being from Miamisburg, OH, where I used to work the WGI Championships many years, I've seen the evolution. I still love equipment work. I'd like to see weaponry with fewer drops. I do love challenging guard work.