Best Use of Amps

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh gosh, I totally forgot about that. Yes, I love that moment too.

I'm not a big amp fan either. I detest narration and didn't really like the drum speak last year (just play the darn thing on your drums!!!). But those subtle moments when you don't know if it's amp or acoustical really work to enhance the show.

You know? About the whole drum speak thing. I hear a lot of people complain about drum speak. But, I was just watching VK 1984 today and at the beginning of their drum solo - they did "drum speak". OK, not amped obviously. Still, I couldn't help but laugh because it seems like the REAL old school stuff is what's going full circle all the while our minds stop at around the mid 90s - leaving us with a warped view of what really was done in what some like to call "the glory years". I also think back to the voice overs in VK's 87 and 88 percussion features. Really folks, the only thing that's new about all the "vocal" stuff that is so often complained about is that it IS amped. Aside from that, not much has really changed if you really think about it. Corps have sung for years. Corps have had "people who speak" on the field for years. Corps have even had "drum speak". All we have really done is made it easier for these type of moments to be heard. No big deal.

Sorry, don't mean to turn this into a debate since the thread is not designed to be. I just thought I would point some of that out.

Edited by torn8o

There was no amped whistling at all. The only amped stuff was the marimbas, drumset, and snapping. But thanks for the compliments on the show! :)

Ah, yes! Thank you for clarifying that. I think that's a testament to how well the whistling projected. It sounded like it was amped, but it was au naturale.

Yes, but what about the castanets in the Piazolla show. Was Phantom amped that year, I don't remember.

No amps in 04. Phantom didn't use amps until half way through 05.

The castanets were accoustic! :)

best use of amps??? :rock:

Glassmen :P

I still enjoyed when the mic cut out on Crown in 04 at semis. Terrible, and not aimed at the performer. I just got a warm glow inside when it happened...

Actually..human error. The pit guy running the board "jumped the gun" and muted the amps just a second before he was supposed to. :sshh:

Corps have sung for years. Corps have had "people who speak" on the field for years. Corps have even had "drum speak". All we have really done is made it easier for these type of moments to be heard. No big deal.

Sorry, don't mean to turn this into a debate since the thread is not designed to be. I just thought I would point some of that out.

What show pre-amps did corps have "peope who speak?" I consider myself pretty knowledgeable about DCI era drum and buble corps, but I can't recall any corps using "people who speak" in a show before amps. Singing? All over the place. Sections 'screaming?' Check (Crossmen '94's "Red Light/Green Light" game comes to mind). Drumspeak? Check. But I can't recall a corps doing what you said.

--

doug