Marching after Midnight

Busloading is the worst job there is. <**> It makes showering before the show pointless. All you do is get sweaty and dirty loading other people's overstuffed nonsense into the bus while they sit all nice and clean on the bus

except truck loading. loading eveything onto the semi before and after practice and shows. :sshh: It seems contras and baritones usually got stuck with this.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing that they had littered at our regular rehearsal school, I ordered the bass drums to do pushups. Then, I went over to the horns and said I wanted one member to drop for 10. They asked why. I said, "Because y'all walked right through their litter and didn't pick it up." I intended for a rookie to do it, but a section leader dropped and did it. I didn't see much more litter after that.

I toured once with a Div. I corps that typically had a few who would litter at meals. The volunteers would grumble but pick it up. I never understood why a class act would tolerate it.

Pushups are a waste? Yes, there are other ways. My opinion is that something that is quicker than brain surgery, that teaches a lesson, and builds stronger bodies for better marching and playing...I'll continue to drop when I screw up.

Cozy

our instructor in 2004 made us hold our flags above our heads and run around the practice field (the practice field the hornline was rehersing on) while holding our flags above our heads. Other than that running, push ups, and lots and lots of flag basics is standard punishment.

Oh, and on the bus if anything of yours falls from the top racks you have to do "bus- ups". The number of bus ups you do is determined by the person your stuff fell on....Always good times

not really a punishment, but we were at Rockford for their home show and at least three corps were there rehearsing before the contest that evening. Of course, when it was time to break and clean up and get ready, all three corps were to use the showers.

One corps was coed, while the other two were all-male. Now for us initiates that year, one of the old-guys thought it was a good idea for all the initiates to sing AND dance the 'chicken dance' while we shower. So many of us who happened to be showering during this time those old guys were in there....we all had to sing AND dance the chicken dance while showering and getting ready.

It was embarrassing. :laugh:

I don't remember what the actual punishment was if you didn't do it....but I'm just glad I didn't get punished....or did I and didn't realize it.... :huh:

I've never marched corps and always wonder...does the drumline do running block with the hornline in most corps? Running block is for lung capacity right?

General conditioning, as well...carrig those heavy drums takes a lot out of you.

From what I gather pushups mainly focus on working the tricepts, least when I do them. Anyone ever have their tri's hurt after holdin your horn? Not me.

:bleah::silly::bleah: