When can we contribute to DCP again?

When will we be able to contribute to DCP again? When I went into the home page link about contributing, it still says that is on hold due to the sale of the website. I sent in a check several months ago that was held a long time and then returned due to the impending sale.

Or, might contributions be taken over by advertisers?

I'm assuming DCP could still use our contributions. (?)

Can anyone enlighten me? I'm guessing there are many in this forum who would also be interested in contributing to the website that occupies so much of our daily existence and gives us a reason to connect to the Internet during the day.

Mike

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I'm not a member of the team anymore.. and have no insight other than one very nice conversation with John at the transition.. and i can certainly not SPEAK for the organization..

BUT

I will say that I HOPE advertising revenue will replace "donations to DCP" permanently.. and that a scholarship fund for marching members will be established instead.. One with tax exemption and where your contributions can be written off as charitable.

That's always been my hope for this site -- even way back in the beginning when George and I were up all hours talking about when the site finally catches on and we might have "maybe 200 members.."

ahh.. the good old days.. :)

Stef

Thanks for the thought, Mike.

When I bought the sites from George late last year, I made the committment to myself that I would not go to the membership with the burden of contributing to the site's operating expenses. Rather, I wanted to find ways to turn DCP and related sites into a viable, self-sustaining business. This will take some time .... but I'm confident that we'll get there.

One of the first steps towards that goal will be a new site design that will provide a more flexible foundation for news, information, news features, columnists, and of-course .... the DCP forums. Keep an eye open over the next few days for more information on the changes ahead.

Stef refers to scholarship and tax exemption in her post. To be very honest, it is very unlikely that DCP will ever be a 501c3 organization - although, for the time-being I can assure everyone that it is 'non-profit'. That will change (at-least to a break-even point) and we'll begin to look at how we might re-invest a portion of those profits back into the activity. I hope that our members and visitors will see the evidence of our investment in the community (in-advance of those realized profits) .... in the near future.

The best contributions that our members can make are those of their participation in the DCP site and these forums, their support of DCP's activities at events in the future ... and most-importantly, their financial and in-person support of the corps of young people (of all ages) we care so much about.

As George suggested in one of his earlier posts regarding the transition ..... I really believe that DCP's best days are ahead of us .... and I'm working hard to make that a reality.

-john

P.S. If the urge to contribute is still burning ....... write the check to your favorite corps (which almost certainly IS a non-profit corporation) ....... I'm sure they'll appreciate it.

great post John, and i can agree how 501-c would be tough to pull off. a scholarship would be a great idea someday maybe, but hey the HOF has one of them going now....DCP members donating to kids who post on DCP ( or admitted their corps won't allow them). and that, IMO is really cool.

I think John has some great ideas....rumor is the store is starting back up. i need new DCp gear anyways, and i have a t-shirt idea bound to make money:

on the front, it says " i tried to out post Jeff Ream on DCP"

and, on the back it says "and i failed"

:P

I didn't mind donating, and would again if asked. DCP has changed how drum corps uses the internet and has allowed fans to interact, meet, make friends and even a love conection or 4.

but, member donations is not the way to go, and, IMO, setting up scholarships can in turn lead to all kinds of issues if you have sore losers.

Thanks for the clarification, John. All the best with your ideas and plans. We're all interested in where this goes from here.

Mike

Mike, if you still REALLY feel the need to donate, you can make your check out to "The Cainan Cornelius Fund"... :P

No seriously, put your money to use elsewhere in the activity, donate to your favorite corps, sponsor a kid... There are many different ways you can help.