DEATH OF THE STREET BEAT

I know a snare drummer who marched 40+ years of drum corps, who underwent extensive surgery for carpal tunnel. He attributed the carpal tunnel to 'kevlar' drum heads. Any feedback on this 'side-topic'?

I've been playing snare for 47 years now and have never had any problem with my wrists. I think it may be luck or genetics but still no problems - It may be attributed to the style or technique I use but so far- so good! (Can't say the same for my back!) :sshh:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We here in St.Peter have been using 2 streetbeats... The other one is "FLAMMABLES" which every corps in the world should learn and play. ...Its lots of fun watching 50, 60, 70 drummers all playing the same thing, and you can march to it as well.

I don't know who wrote it, I stole it from the Scouts, but its always something to fall back on if you need a quick beat, and it realy wokrs the chops, hence the name.

John

John,

Flammables is a Chris Thompson production from his days at the Scouts. I agree that the fans and non-drummers may enjoy the look of 50 drummers playing the same beat, but from somone who has to play it, DIRT-ables (as it is known at retreat), is pretty much a dirty jam session where we throw down as many beats as possible within the time keeping framework of the accent pattern. I think if Flammables were judged, it would score high in GE, but maybe a "0" on execution... :worthy:

---------------

As far as the other topic regarding age, I feel that DCA is becoming DCI for folks over 22 years old, at least in the battery. The drill demand as well as the notes being written are not that much different from what you might find in a DCI Div I corps. Sure a younger person will have an easier time with the physical aspects of things, but a seriously dedicated older person can still make the lines in DCA if they are willing to put out the effort. Now if you want to show up and expect that DCA is still in the 70's, you might be in for a shock and a bit over your head.

And regarding bodily harm from drumming, yes it can happen. I think the aspects of hearing loss and hand problems with snare drummers are the most common. However, I've seen tenor and bass heads getting cranked harder and harder as the years go by. These are no longer your father's floppy drum heads. There are bass dummers that can pull more notes out of their drums than snare players!

As far as hearing loss goes, I'll default to one of my favorite drummers, Neil Peart. I can't recall the exact quote, but the main thought was, when he was younger he said if you couldn't take the noise you were too old, but when he got older, he realized he was just too young and stupid to realize the damage he was doing at the time. Hearing protection always! You'll never get it back when it's gone.

Ryan J

In all my years of watching the activity I don't think I've ever thought about a drummer getting carpal tunnel. I know of many drummers who are going deaf though. So is that what you guys mean when you say you don't have the hands for the activity anymore? This is real interesting, because now that I think about it you guys are called the battery. I never considered your body gets just as battered as the instruments you play. While we're on the longevity thing, what about your knees? Are you able to CRAB? Are there many older battery drummers on the competition field, or is it just a young persons game?

Oh yea...the hearing loss. Yea, I have some of that, but I like to attribute it to the years I worked as a carpenter even though my wife says otherwise; she wants me to give up playing.

As far as hands, yep that’s what we mean. I didn't have the hands this year so I wont be playing snare in NY. The funny thing is they put me on toms, a much more difficult instrument than snare in my opinion. I'm practicing my butt off and I have to loose about 20 pounds, but I’m working on it.

The left knee is giving out. I felt it a lot last season. I was afraid I was going to take a dive during the show a few times last year. It would have been disastrous because I was the center snare and would have taken out half the snare line if I did. There were plenty of opportunities because the snare line was doing a windshield wiper drill most of the show.

so yea...the body is falling apart, but I love drumming in NY and say I'll do it till I die. No matter what the wife says. (btw...my wife marched Skyliners drum line with me for 8 years) :)

Edited by skydrumrangel

Love this discussion!

I think my corps could make lots of improvements in its parade performances to make them more entertaining for both the audiences and the entertainers. But I've gone down that road before (no pun intended) and don't want to fight those battles again.

Anyway, we've made loads of improvements in our parade presentation over the past several years, so that's that.

Sean,

What street beat is used for the parades? This is where the fans would love to hear the traditional street beat still played by the Alumni Corps.

Joe

Sky Alumni

Contra Section

Considering they used a variation of Glassmen's G11 street beat, it did have a groove. :P

Sean,

What street beat is used for the parades? This is where the fans would love to hear the traditional street beat still played by the Alumni Corps.

Joe

Sky Alumni

Contra Section

Joe, i believe they still do use the traditional one sometimes

The traditional one has only been used for coming on the field sadly and at prelims last season we went on to a tap for some reason and we played the parade cadence while leaving.

cin4057- Years ago, I spoke with your father about this very topic. I was a "new guy" in the Marine Drum Corps, and wanted his opinions on what makes a 'good streetbeat.' Now, this was a long time ago, so I'll try and paraphrase what the Col. told me.

" A good streetbeat of course, has a good BEAT. It's interesting; sounds good. It shouldn't be so physically demanding that it wears you out. It should feature each section of the drumline, and have dynamics. *** Most important, it needs to be easy to march to. The corps should be able to feel the streetbeat, and stay in step, without even paying attention. *** Otherwise, the streetbeat has defeated it's purpose, which afterall, is to keep the corps in step!"

The Colonel was simply brilliant, wasn't he? B)

Exactly! When I was on parade with Reading in 2004, our street beat was not to my liking. It got you confused and out of step.

It wasn't just me. I've been listening and bopping along to street beats all my life. It was their schtic. I wasn't crazy about it at all.

I remember the first time I heard it and wondered WTF is that?

This is a great topic. Personally I think the street beats should groove to no end. The other stuff is just an ego trip by the arranger (no offense to anyone, I'm all for creativity) If it defeats the purpose.. like the comments of people scratching their heads, out of step, etc.. then.. whats the point? It's all about the groove.

Exactly! When I was on parade with Reading in 2004, our street beat was not to my liking. It got you confused and out of step.

It wasn't just me. I've been listening and bopping along to street beats all my life. It was their schtic. I wasn't crazy about it at all.

I remember the first time I heard it and wondered WTF is that?

wow. i loved that beat....a take off on the old Crossmen smoothie beats