DEATH OF THE STREET BEAT

Sky has the same street beat for coming on the field, use a different one coming off

i haven't been around Hurcs lately to know if anything has changed but i can tell you the BOD voted in 2002 that Downfall of Paris was going to remain as its official streetbeat for as long as the corps was around.

they do use the horsewalk from Mag 7 occassionally as well.

i admit ~ i love the horsewalk. :laugh:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if some of our street beats had names, however I know I'm one of the only people on here that loves a 5 mile parade, that's how much I loved our street beats!

I love the scottish snap whatever it's called DOH, yep around 2-7 from the beginning and still don't know the name, you know drmmr27 or JohnJohn or LL, the one where maybe Jack C. would play it alone or Ralph John in the earlier years. I think it's called the scottish snap....or Gary C., can't forget Gary C. playing it...:P

I think we marched into Foxboro in 94 with it.

Another case of evolution of the idiom. But I do agree that the street beat should be a "signature" and not subject to yearly change.

And why would it need to change and evolve? It's not like you get judged on it. This is one area where tradition should rule all.

And why would it need to change and evolve? It's not like you get judged on it. This is one area where tradition should rule all.

in all honesty would you want to keep playing the exact same arrangement year after year after year??

i'm not suggesting to toss the baby out with the bath water, but evolution is a natural progression. variances do occur that make it more interesting for the performers and the audience alike.

i.e. ~ different genre from the streetbeat, but in Hurcs the parade guard work still has many origins in what it was when i joined in '91 but some things have been changed to make it less military and more modernized. i'm sure what i learned in '91 isn't quite what the guard was spinning in '75 either. i see the drum line doing that as well. same song, slightly different parts, still easily recognizable.

Erie Thunderbirds have been using SKYLINERS street beat for years. WHY? It's a great street beat

and they haven't objected to us using it. It's kind of a mark of respect for a great Drum Corps'.

(Besides.........they're to far east to beat us up.....and.....if push comes to shove..........we'll

use the CABS street beat........) :laugh:

Ok so lets take Empire for an example...

They still have the vocals and SOME of the old cadence from when I marched there. They have added to it, of course, but the identity of the beat still is there. To me, that is acceptable by any means. Hurcs have done the same, as Sean said Sky has kept their tradition alive, and so have the Cabs. At least for the "march" on to the field. I would hate to see the day the Cabs dont come out swinging the arms to that cadence in some form. If they want to feed the percussion staff's egos by playing something different and possibly more "challenging" than that, do it on the way off the field while trooping the stands....(ducks)....but dont sacrifice the tradition of the corps identity.

As many people know about me...I resent people taking away from any corps history or tradition...and I get bothered by comments that "this year will be better than any other year" comments made by people that are relatively new to any organization. Although I go back a few 24's in this activity, I STILL REMEMBER the days of Aquinas Stadium, when every corps came out of that tunnel with blood in their eyes trying to be the DCA champ that year. Cabs, Sky, and the Hurricanes of that era were particularly "scary"...and the Bucs, Sunrisers, Crusaders, and even the Yankee Rebels were all very good, and capable on any given year to come out on top.

And I knew what corps was coming next by their "cadence"...and war cry from the tunnel !!!! I still think that is an important difference that seperates DCA from DCI...TRADITION.

Donny

I'm not sure what the discussion is about.

If we're talking about a street beat that isn't a segment of the corps" competing show, then most corps I've been around lately still use them. Having said that, the "marchability" factor is a completely different issue. I doubt that many legionnaires looked forward to a parade with the Sunrisers in the "Sunrunner" days, but it was ONLY a street beat.

Even alumni corps have gotten into the re-write act. I loved to play Don Raines' "Green Dragon" at Reilly, even though it replaced the beat my dad had played 50 years before. Bill Kauffman even let us tweak it some more so that every section had a feature.

Well, we didn't have cowbells. b**bs

I'd say Craven Morehead by Richard Fitzwell or The Return of Richard Fitzwell didn't sound anything like G11.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~amcorreia/TheReturn...ardFitzwell.mp3

Well, what I heard while walking to the Kodak building for the St. Joe's Classic in '03 sounded suspiciously like Glassmen's cadence from '97 to '00. They even had J.J. Pipitone on staff as an extra Glassmen-Rochester Crusaders connection.

Ok so lets take Empire for an example...

They still have the vocals and SOME of the old cadence from when I marched there. They have added to it, of course, but the identity of the beat still is there. To me, that is acceptable by any means. Hurcs have done the same, as Sean said Sky has kept their tradition alive, and so have the Cabs. At least for the "march" on to the field. I would hate to see the day the Cabs dont come out swinging the arms to that cadence in some form. If they want to feed the percussion staff's egos by playing something different and possibly more "challenging" than that, do it on the way off the field while trooping the stands....(ducks)....but dont sacrifice the tradition of the corps identity.

As many people know about me...I resent people taking away from any corps history or tradition...and I get bothered by comments that "this year will be better than any other year" comments made by people that are relatively new to any organization. Although I go back a few 24's in this activity, I STILL REMEMBER the days of Aquinas Stadium, when every corps came out of that tunnel with blood in their eyes trying to be the DCA champ that year. Cabs, Sky, and the Hurricanes of that era were particularly "scary"...and the Bucs, Sunrisers, Crusaders, and even the Yankee Rebels were all very good, and capable on any given year to come out on top.

And I knew what corps was coming next by their "cadence"...and war cry from the tunnel !!!! I still think that is an important difference that seperates DCA from DCI...TRADITION.

Donny

[/quo

Edited by melligene