DEATH OF THE STREET BEAT

Is the cool sounding and marchable street beat dead? Are they just exercises to teach rudiments or maybe a percussion instructor's idea of how to get in more practice on the field drum parts? Are they too complex by half with their odd beats that make it tough for a parade marcher to follow. Is the audience totally forgotten in the process?

In retreat I'm almost always amused at the huge difference between a great street beat corps like the Caballeros, for one example, and others with really esoteric stuff going on leaving the audience and competitors alike scratching our heads. The choice of which drum line will play the corps on during an olympic style retreat is sometimes what makes the difference between pageantry and a lackluster cattle drive. If I had to vote, I'd vote pageant all day long.

How would you vote?

:laugh: Geena Wacker

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO street beats are far from dead.

paegent all day for me. I hate the new stuff. I will always remember corps coming from under the tunnel at the OLD Aquinas Stadium in Rochester and being able to identify which corps was next by their street beat. That is what always seperated DCA from DCI, that and A flag squads...

Donny

I agree and i believe Tyrell (our caption head) has written a street beat this year that he'd like to become ours for many years to come. Havnt seen it yet though...

Grenadiers cadence from 2001-2005 was definitely more like a groove than ramming notes down throats. It had a melody that the basses held throughout the beginning, then it built upon that melody.

Cadences are not dead.

Considering they used a variation of Glassmen's G11 street beat, it did have a groove. :P

Sky has the same street beat for coming on the field, use a different one coming off

Another case of evolution of the idiom. But I do agree that the street beat should be a "signature" and not subject to yearly change.

Thank you for your considered thoughts on the matter. I was thinking last night about the marching units that get paired up with corps sometimes like local American Legion posts, and Police and Fire units. Sometimes they even request to be with certain corps. If because of a weird street beat corps members themselves have to work like #### to stay in step, what must be happening to these other non-corps units?

Donny Allen and others here have reminded me of how great it was to be able to identify corps by their street beats. Cool street beats! The street beat is a performance, an identifier, and something that can stir you. I'm not from Chicago but can I vote twice for the pageantry of it all?

:laugh: Geena Wacker