Bandettes are looking for a few good men!

I hope this gives them the shot in the arm with membership increase. I would hate to see another corps fold. The Bandettes are one of those corps you dont want to leave.

Good luck and come back to the field soon!!!!

WWBD

GTKYA

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*sigh* Hate to see one of the last all girl corps go co-ed but survival is better IMO.

You wouldn't believe how many Sr corps were all male until the 70s when they went co-ed to survive. This includes my old corps who also changed their policy to allow a lot of under 21 year olds in. These changes ended up saving the corps which won DCA many years later.

if this is what it needs to stay alive, then it has to be.

*sigh* Hate to see one of the last all girl corps go co-ed but survival is better IMO.

You wouldn't believe how many Sr corps were all male until the 70s when they went co-ed to survive. This includes my old corps who also changed their policy to allow a lot of under 21 year olds in. These changes ended up saving the corps which won DCA many years later.

Many juniors were all-guy in the day...Cadets did not add gals until 69...and then just the guard. When the Little Falls Cadets corps folded, their guard moved en masse to Garfield to become the Cadets guard in 69.

Blessed Sac added a gal guard in either 71 or 72...not sure which year.

Sad. I'm glad they will change the name, though, when they go coed.

Bandettes. :music:

Definitely some fond memories of seeing them the last couple years. Made me wish I was 18 again. :)

I really respected how those young women carried themselves and played with poise and quality despite their small numbers.

Good luck to the organization. It will be good to have a corps that will continue that tradition, even if it's not the same in name or composition.

Definitely a bummer, IMO. If the corps changes names and lets males into the girl, the organization truly is dead, IMO. People have been saying "it's better that the corps is co-ed and still fielding than all-female and dead," but it truly will no longer be The Bandettes.

Of course, IMO I don't see it as the same when corps in the 50's and 60's were typically all male and went co-ed. I guess because I know Mary Wilson, and know why she started Bandettes and did what she did, it's a bummer that they will no longer be able to keep their identity/traditions.

Bandettes RIP

I Wish Mary and the new organization great luck in whatever they do from here.

--

doug

If it were "truly dead" then there would be one less corps to march for. As it is, we haven't lost one. That's a plus no matter how you slice it.

Thank you all for your kind words. Although the decission was tough and not one that any of us wanted to make. We believe that it is in the best interest of the members and the organization as a whole. Although many of our traditions, so to speak, will have to change, our philosophy and expectations will remain. This group will still be in many ways the same just with a new twist.

Forever Plaid!

Shara