Who do you think makes up the majority of attendees

Who do you think makes up the majority of attendees at a typical drum corps show?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think makes up the majority of attendees at a typical drum corps show?

• Alumni
    • Parents of members
    • Band kids
    • Those who have never marched, don't have kids who marched, AKA: casual fans, Average Joe Football
    • Music profressionals, educators, ect
    • Locals
    • Other
  2. 2. Do you think the majority of attendees at a drum corps show know quite a bit about either drum corps, music, music education, or the arts?

• Yes, I would say most attendees are experianced and/or know quite a bit about drum corps, music, ect...
    • No, I think most fans at a drum corps show are everyday non-drum corps people. They don't know much of anything about corps, or music, or the arts.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The poll is still young, but as of now, 80% believe that most people at a normal drum corps show pretty well versed in drum corps and musical knowledge. So this propmts the question....

What does this mean for the argument that shows are not "accessable" to the "average joes" that some believe make up the majority of crowds?

I've never said that the "average joe" makes up the majority of the crowd. I believe that if shows are more appealing to the average joes, then you would see a larger increase of the fan base.

Hmmm interesting poll, but I think the majority are probably a mixture of alumni, bands and parents...:) Mostly people who know about the program through band etc...or tv.

As far as the alumni aspect, I know a reason why I started back going again was because of missing certain people and the friends I made in the activity. I think alot of alumni go for get togethers and enjoy the shows (for the most part), but still go to mingle. Last year with finals in Foxboro, it was like a mini 27th Lancers reunion, everywhere I turned there were alumni.

Oh and on an interesting note, I sat next to a local guy who said he hadn't been to a show in years, but when he heard on the news that DCI was coming he knew he had to come see his favorite corps which was Blue Devils. He was really upset with what he was seeing. I talked to him alot after the show just to get another point of view from someone who hadn't seen a show in a very long time. He did NOT like the changes especially with BD and the Cadets how they used them. He was rather disappointed in his favorite corps Blue Devils. I came close to doing a story on him but I didn't think most would care to hear that here anyway.

I discussed this with a senior DCI official a decade or so ago. They had done some research which showed that more than half the people who go to drum corps shows (then anyway) had never marched and weren't related to anyone marching. What we can conclude from that as it relates to this poll is that alumni and parents are likely not the majority; band kids, Joe football, etc., collectively are.

My own experience suggests this is less true at the "premier" shows when alums and relatives show up in larger numbers. But even then, I'd venture the "unconnected" fans still represent the largest contingent.

HH

You're basing this on something a DCI official said over a decade ago? :rock: To me that doesn't make any sense.....

I still don't think it's your "average joe" that goes to these shows.

I think it's pretty common sense that DCI fans are alumni, bands, and the kids parents who come to see their kid march. That's just common sense.

At least to me....

Back when I marched many shows were part of a community or area festival (which meant doing parades :( ) . I think there were more "average Joe's" in the audience becuase community people and tourists would see us in the parade, it was part of the festival, even if a seperate ticket price, etc.

I think most of the poeple at todays shows are band students, family/friends of members, and alumni. When I listen to conversations and comments poeple make, it seems most, or at least some, in each group know the corps, or something about the activity.

Of course I'm sure it varies and as others have said the smaller local shows may have more locals while the big regionals attract more die hard fans.

You're basing this on something a DCI official said over a decade ago? :rock: To me that doesn't make any sense.....

I still don't think it's your "average joe" that goes to these shows.

I think it's pretty common sense that DCI fans are alumni, bands, and the kids parents who come to see their kid march. That's just common sense.

At least to me....

it really depends on where the show is i think.

at the Bristol, RI DCI show for the 4th of July you will find a huge amount of the audience is the average Joe.

I say band kids because some HS bring there MB/other to competitions