Guardsmen (Schaumburg, IL) memories.

Tiger of San Pedro 1980!!!!!!!!! Sopranos wailing!!!!

Oh yeah!!! Both 79 and 80 renditions of Tiger of San Pedro were awesome, but the sopranos at the end of 80 make that version a slight winner. My favorite rendition of this DCI classic song!

another couple of random funny memories:

- Staying with Kilts and 27th in '78 at some school somewhere in BFE...27th decided to stay in the hallways (I think) instead of on the gymnasium floor, because we were on one upper side and Kilts were on the other upper side (it was a really big gym). I think it was when Kilts shot the bottle rocket from their side over to our side that 27th new they didn't want anything to do with either of us! b**bs

- Again with Kilts somewhere, some of our guys "traded" uniform parts with some of the Kiltie guys. I don't think it was ever meant to be permanent trades, just goofing off. But the Kilts staff came in and interupted our practice to confiscate their tams back. They were not happy, either.

- Practicing the "Bomb Scare" rifle toss over the contra's thing in '79 and wondering how Bill Hardy ever talked the management into letting him have the guard do that. Imagine that meeting when the concept was first presented:

"OK, here's what we want to do: We want to toss the rifles backwards over head from 45 to 45 yard line with the contra's

standing in the middle holding them way up over their heads..."

Management response: :wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

Ha!

Edited by GGarrett

Cavaliers were supposed to do that commercial. They were going to pay us something like 10 grand (or the equivalent in chicken parts). Then they found out our colors. I guess green didn't really convey the message they wanted to get across, although some might think it oddly appropriate.

This brings up a good trivia question. Does anyone know what color the Cavaliers originally picked for their uniforms?

chartreuse

• 3 months later...

Being an alumni of the 1980 horn line (soprano), it really warms my heart to see all the kind things people had to say here.

Tim Salzman WAS our horn instructor that year, through winter and into late June, including a camp at the High School he taught. After that, he didn't go on either tour with us. Who could blame him, he wasn't being paid! We also changed the marching instructors more than once and the drill about 4 times.

I always enjoyed playing Greensleeves. Tiger of San Pedro was my favorite. Our lead Sops did indeed wail on it, but overall the solos were better in '79-mellos and baritone. Owen Raun was the same soprano soloist both years.

Incidentally, in '81 when Tim was teaching SCV, 3 Sops joined him out there for their age out years, including John (?), the soprano that held the note at the end of Tiger. He and Owen had both come over in '79 from the Emerald Knights and I swear they could play like that all day.

Also, the person playing the piccolo soprano solo in Wasps was a 16 year old Ira Arenson, who would be one of Madison's screamers in 1983. Due to an illiness in his early teens he had lost a lot of hair prematurely. Many people thought he was much older than he was. I think he probably has a much hair presently as the rest of us that marched with him back in the day.

Being an alumni of the 1980 horn line (soprano), it really warms my heart to see all the kind things people had to say here.

Tim Salzman WAS our horn instructor that year, through winter and into late June, including a camp at the High School he taught. After that, he didn't go on either tour with us. Who could blame him, he wasn't being paid! We also changed the marching instructors more than once and the drill about 4 times.

I always enjoyed playing Greensleeves. Tiger of San Pedro was my favorite. Our lead Sops did indeed wail on it, but overall the solos were better in '79-mellos and baritone. Owen Raun was the same soprano soloist both years.

Incidentally, in '81 when Tim was teaching SCV, 3 Sops joined him out there for their age out years, including John (?), the soprano that held the note at the end of Tiger. He and Owen had both come over in '79 from the Emerald Knights and I swear they could play like that all day.

Also, the person playing the piccolo soprano solo in Wasps was a 16 year old Ira Arenson, who would be one of Madison's screamers in 1983. Due to an illiness in his early teens he had lost a lot of hair prematurely. Many people thought he was much older than he was. I think he probably has a much hair presently as the rest of us that marched with him back in the day.

STOODS! glad to see you actually post something here... (wow, did I type a rant here...but heck I'm POSTING it...) ... (Deal with it... :P :P )

AND I'm glad to see this thread come back to life now and then. Just something about these threads that talk about any of the corps from back around mid 70's and into the early 80's get's me really remembering good stuff and good times. Of course that's when I was IN, so that's why it's good to me. :ph34r: BUT...

I mean the corps with a specific identity associated with them... each unique in their own way, and specifically different from other corps for one reason or another. You knew what to expect from a Guardsmen show...and a 27th show...and a Freelancer show... a Bridgemen show...etc etc. Just the four I outlined there would have made four completely different representations of what drum corps were back then... unlike todays somewhat controlled presentations where it's kinda hard to tell just who is who when you just listen to the music. I mean, it could be anyone playing a show now given the way the music is written and the style and sound with which it is presented in todays competitions. I'm not sure I could stand behind the stands these days and know exactly who is on the field just listening... could be Bluecoats...could be Santa Clara... not sure. :P

The "survivors" from those days I speak of (Cavaliers, SCV, Cadets, BD, Madison, Phantom, Crossmen, Colts, Glassmen, Bluecoats, and now Blue Stars back on the rise! ^OO^ ) have all had to mold themselves into sounding almost the same (to me, anyway) as each other to be judged in todays corps competitions. I mean, if you ain't doin' it like Cadets do it...or Cavaliers do it... or whomever is doing it...your not DOING it. Having a unique identity is strictly in the uniform department now days, not so much in the style of music or how it is presented and played or what the guard does or how the drumline plays. I ain't sayin' anything new that everyone here hasn't said atleast 400 times here... just soapboxing. :P :ramd:

I know I know... I'm being mean... OK OK.. no offense at all meant to todays totally amazing kids carrying the torch now days for what drum corps is now. Don't get me wrong, I hear the music and I see what they do now days and I am blown away by the level of talent and what they do and how they do it. Makes me wonder where the activity can go from here now... what will the kids still pooping in their diapers be like when THEY are the ones carrying the torch in say 2015?? Who will be the Hopkins of tomorrow? Or the Gail Royer? or the Scott Stewart?

ANYWAY, if you were there back then, you know exactly what I'm talking about. You could tell it was Madison on the field from three blocks away... or Guardsmen...or Blue Devils... or Kilts... or Phantom... or Spirit ... or 27th ... and the list goes on and on and on....

Tiger of San Pedro was my favorite.

Mine too......who was playing the congas???? :worthy:

I loved you guys and got to hang out quite a bit after Belleville imploded in 1979. I even did some shuttle diplomacy to get Frank Pamper to un-un-retire and fix the '79 visual issues. Frank asked me to watch the '79 prelims show from upstairs and when you came off asked me to give you a quick run-down. What a rush for me! I was so glad that such a talented group of kids ended up where they were after a rocky start to the season.

Someone PM me if you know the current whereabouts of a 1980 soprano from Belleville named Ron Foster.

Mine too......who was playing the congas???? :worthy:

ha... yeash well that would have been Tom Scheffler on congas in Tiger of San Pedro. Pit innovator and amongst the very first to not have to learn drill or do 8 & 8's.

Edited by GGarrett

That screamer was John Davidson who I marched with in Emerald Knights 74-78. In 78 when Emerald Knights shut down a very talented hornline and others either went to Blue Stars (about 10-12 members) and Guardsmen (10 or so). We had a great group that basically grew up together starting in about 74. Its kind of sad because the EK corps management was basically worthless. FYI the EK director that expedited our demise was Madison DM from 75 (Scott Schultze) who was worthless as a director.