Guardsmen (Schaumburg, IL) memories.

Rumor, fact, truth (pick one) has it that they had one corps member carry a flute, so as to not confuse the general viewing public.

True! There was brief shot of a flute player in the commercial. If I remember correctly, it was actually one of the guard members who carried the flute. I think the KFC people dubbed in a few flute notes over the rest of the music, too.

I loved the Guardsmen..When we( St. Criox Rivermen) beat you guys in early June show in 1980. I think you guys gave us the nickname RiverRats...Fun times :worthy:

Double post...sorry

Edited by RobertPi1ot

lucky 3 sorry :worthy:

Edited by RobertPi1ot

Rumor, fact, truth (pick one) has it that they had one corps member carry a flute, so as to not confuse the general viewing public.
That is true. I remember that commercial well, and it used to p### me off to no end everytime I saw that ####ed flute in the middle of a drum corps!(nothing against flutes mind you, just not in a drum corps please!)

It was visible towards the beginning, when the corps is first coming over a small hill.(an otherwise really cool scene!)

First the guy that remembered 82, I was a part of that half corps. The staff kept telling us that the corps would fill out and the judges kept scoring us bad telling us to redo the drill for the size of the corps. Greensleeves was a major reason for my choice of Guardsmen. Also to the guy commenting on the shakos. In 82 we put plumes on them and we all stood 8.5 feet tall. One last note, a roommate of mine and snare player, "Jeff" went to Garfield the next year and won a championship. Way to go Jeff. Get a hold of me if you see this.

just to set the record straight... it was a piccolo... it was a girl from the guard who "played" it... it was done because

some genious creative guy from the ad firm that did the commercial, who had no idea what the difference was

between band and corps was, thought it would be "great!" ... and the Guardsmen themselves were not exactly thrilled

with it either. But heck, they were on a KFC commercial, and it was great exposure!

Never heard that Cavies were ever considered for that commercial... that's news to me.

And of course, if you listen carefully to the 1976 recording from DCI, you can hear someone (probably my new buddy

big dans24103 since he was a big fan of g-men :P ...) yell out "Chicken S#@ks!" just as the DM is starting his count.

That's pretty special. (BTW... that '76 show was very challenging. Not that clean, but they had only been in prelims about 4

hours prior to that finals performance. That's the way they did it in 1976. If you've never listened to it, you should.)

As a side note (DAN... :P ) I once heard a spectacular version of "Never Walk..." once that a friend recorded in 1981. It was

really beautiful that night, and the lush chords were just perfect. The recording, however, is basically ruined because in the

soft passage at the end (between the big loud chords into the soft where the pause is...) some moron whistles REALLY loud

and ruins it for everyone.

That's my take on yelling out during a performance. Like the corps or not, don't do that. They are peforming, and deserve attention and respect.

I adored the talent of the Guardsmen! When my upstart corps needed horns in the fall of '94, we got them from the Guardsmen. It was a sad Friday evening in Schaumburg when we picked the horns up and bittersweet for me. I understand the horns had come from Phantom originally.

The PR...Guardsmen horns resonated well with Mirage Sr. for a few years. The horns now serve lovingly for Cincinnati Tradition.

Cozy

just to set the record straight... it was a piccolo... it was a girl from the guard who "played" it... it was done because

some genious creative guy from the ad firm that did the commercial, who had no idea what the difference was

between band and corps was, thought it would be "great!" ... and the Guardsmen themselves were not exactly thrilled

with it either. But heck, they were on a KFC commercial, and it was great exposure!

Never heard that Cavies were ever considered for that commercial... that's news to me.

And of course, if you listen carefully to the 1976 recording from DCI, you can hear someone (probably my new buddy

big dans24103 since he was a big fan of g-men :P ...) yell out "Chicken S#@ks!" just as the DM is starting his count.

That's pretty special. (BTW... that '76 show was very challenging. Not that clean, but they had only been in prelims about 4

hours prior to that finals performance. That's the way they did it in 1976. If you've never listened to it, you should.)

As a side note (DAN... :P ) I once heard a spectacular version of "Never Walk..." once that a friend recorded in 1981. It was

really beautiful that night, and the lush chords were just perfect. The recording, however, is basically ruined because in the

soft passage at the end (between the big loud chords into the soft where the pause is...) some moron whistles REALLY loud

and ruins it for everyone.

That's my take on yelling out during a performance. Like the corps or not, don't do that. They are peforming, and deserve attention and respect.

I can certainly appreciate what youre saying here. But expressions of approval/disapproval like that are part of drum corps, I dont think youre ever going to be able to convince drum corps fans not to express their emotions.

For the record, I have never shouted anything but praise for any corps I happened to be watching. Ive expressed some dissatisfaction with placings on occassion but I still believe shouting during a quiet part of some corps performance is a not very classy thing to do. The guy who did it though got a big laugh from the crowd.

I did however, yell "Go Midwest!" right before MBI started their show at DCA finals 04!