Corps still using key G bugles

A-G

All Drum and Bugle corps in Japan use "G" bugles, otherwise they are a marching band and not allowes to compete in DCJ competitions.

I think the same goes for the folks in the Philippines.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Madison's alumni corps this summer is using G's as are Anaheim Kingsmen next summer.

Yep......Kingsmen Alumni Corps is in G.........many of them vintage 2 valve and P/R horns.

I'm using a 1974 model Olds Ultratone P/R mellophone.

It is interesting that a group the size of the Madison Alumni can find enough decent G horns. I guess they are trickling down now as the Bbs become more and more common. When we put the Star Alumni Corps together in 04' there wasn't a thought of going with G. The only decent equipment we could get our hands on was in Bb.

Maybe there are just alot of freaks like myself who are sitting on G horns. I have some two valve Kings, a K-20 soprano & K-50 mello. Good for 'remembering when'. I doubt they will ever see the sun again as all my current playing is on the F mello.

Maybe there are just alot of freaks like myself who are sitting on G horns. I have some two valve Kings, a K-20 soprano & K-50 mello. Good for 'remembering when'. I doubt they will ever see the sun again as all my current playing is on the F mello.

Yeah I know a guy with a 14 foot box truck full of 2 valve and Valve Rotor Stuff Plus Guard and Drum Equipment. I've offered to buy him out but he is holding on like he's actually going to do something with it.. Maybe I should Talk to his wife.. ^0^

Chops (Sr.) still on a hodge-podge of G horns. Working the financials to purchase new horns. Direction is to move away from G to Bb/F, however.

With mixed emotions from the membership, mind you. But, if we want to stay in the black then it's a matter of doing what is most fiscally responsible. And I know that new Gs seem to be significantly more expensive than Bb/F, besides the obvious larger resale/ loan out market.

It's just like when we switched from these uniforms:

menom0027.jpg

to these uniforms:

DSC01530.jpg

Sure, a lot of people balked, but it turned out that it was the smart thing to do. The inside joke was, "We didn't sell out... We bought in!" Sounds like we'll have to dust that one off when we get the cash for new horns.

When new Contras are pushing $7000 or more each. You can have the worst horn Completely overhauled for about 2 grand - 2500 dollars. And it will look and play like a new horn. A minor overhaul 75-80 % of the dents and dings without any major plating work can cost as little as 300 - 500 dollars.

Where again is the cost savings??

Those corps can sell me all those G Bugles For what they are getting in trade. I know many corps that will give them another 20 or more years of good solid use that will gladly buy them up as fast as they come in..

Apparently there's a company called Taylor Music that does a fantastic job of horn restoration at a very reasonable price. They're out in CA. Glen, the St. Cloud State University Husky Sports Band director, swears by this company.

Reading Buccaneer Alumni corps still in G. Mostly Dynasty.

I've been playing a long time, since 1964, and I play mostly trumpet in a jazz band. In short, I do a lot of playing and a lot of research and playing on different instruments as a hobby. The bias against most manufacturers is just that; Bias and personal preferences. (I'm not saying there isn't junk out there!)

Dynasty or DEG, I believe, is once again associated with Getzen and I think the instruments for both have always been made by Allied Brass. I think Allied Brass may be owned by Getzen. You would be surprised and maybe willing to reconsider your critique of many of your favorite manufacturers if you knew how many of them used Allied Brass valve assemblies.

Now it's what you attach the valve assembly to that matters. There are difference here. I applaud DEG going back to nickel plated valves. Monel never lived up to it's hype and I find, gums up unless you polish it regularly.

I think Kanstul makes a nice horn and a really sweet cornet. However, the Dynasty, price notwithstanding, is a good horn and their marching brass is also nice. My all time favorite was the F.E. Olds Ultratone. All models. Guess that dates me.

When you hear two corps, one in G and one in Bb, perform one right after the other you can tell the difference in sound and on the field, I think G wins. Definitely projects more. But if all the corps are in Bb...nah, G is better.

Naval Academy still in G, with Kanstul. The only complaint I have is that the prices go up every year for Kanstuls.... for no apparent reason. I actually priced out a full Yamaha Bb line about a month ago, and the trumpets vs. sopranos seem to be the biggest price difference. About $800 for a Kanstul Powerbore Sop vs. about $1200 for a Yamaha Xeno trumpet. Everything else is comparable, with significant savings buying tubas instead of contras.

Almost made the switch.... but then got control of reality again. I love the sound of G bugles.

Jeff

Yes, Key of G bugles mostly 1 piston / R.

I know a Corps With 2-3 Valve Contra's in Manila!! I kind of shipped them there..

I also know those kids can blow down the house!