Corps still using key G bugles

A-G

The last time I compared the price of a 5/4 Kanstul contra to a 5/4 Dynasty, the Dynasty was almost twice as much. The only difference being, Dynasty will give discounts for bulk orders, while Kanstul won't. So, I'm going to have to disagree with that as well.

Even Comparing the major Brands in Marching brass Dynasty, King, Yamaha, Kanstul..

Kanstul is actually priced really competitivly.. The Fit and Finish on the kanstul's are really good, and they will stand behind their product. I just think Zig is afraid of what olds and king went through giving financing to corps.

Yamaha's marching brass is very good. I used a YSH-411S The Hight end Silver BBb Sousaphone in high school Other then the Plastic Valve guide issue they are a heck of a nice sousaphone. The YBB-201MS That most corps use, used to have same problem. Yamaha redesigned the valve guide which you can buy on eBay from Seller: bandroom1 it will hold up a bit better than the older style.

As much as I like Zig's , and Yamaha's horns Both Concert/Marching Brass and Bugles, However I'm a fan on having older horns redone, and using them, Like the Olds' and Older King's, Conn's, Bach.. ETC. They are built a little better, and even if the horn has some age showing. It shows the horn has at least been played. The older horns like the new ones can be overhauled again and again. These corps buying new horns every couple years almost makes me want to puke. What a waste of good money. They could get 3 or 4 Contras Completely overhauled for the cost of one brand new horn.. Sickening

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By doing that they're saving a lot more money in the long run than by using horns until they're beat up and worthless. By trading out parts of the hornline and replacing them every couple years, they avoid high repair costs and are often able to sell the horns for more than they paid for them, keeping their hornline in good shape.

By doing that they're saving a lot more money in the long run than by using horns until they're beat up and worthless. By trading out parts of the hornline and replacing them every couple years, they avoid high repair costs and are often able to sell the horns for more than they paid for them, keeping their hornline in good shape.

Whaaaaaa??? Sound long-run economics....in DRUM CORPS????

I thought there was a rule against that... :P

Whaaaaaa??? Sound long-run economics....in DRUM CORPS????

I thought there was a rule against that... :P

When new Contras are pushing $7000 or more each. You can have the worst horn Completely overhauled for about 2 grand - 2500 dollars. And it will look and play like a new horn. A minor overhaul 75-80 % of the dents and dings without any major plating work can cost as little as 300 - 500 dollars.

Where again is the cost savings??

Those corps can sell me all those G Bugles For what they are getting in trade. I know many corps that will give them another 20 or more years of good solid use that will gladly buy them up as fast as they come in..

When new Contras are pushing $7000 or more each. You can have the worst horn Completely overhauled for about 2 grand - 2500 dollars. And it will look and play like a new horn. A minor overhaul 75-80 % of the dents and dings without any major plating work can cost as little as 300 - 500 dollars.

Those corps can sell me all those G Bugles For what they are getting in trade. I know many corps that will give them another 20 or more years of good solid use that will gladly buy them up as fast as they come in..

Contras are, perhaps, the exception to the rule.....it would work for the uppers and mids....maybe for the bari/euphs...

When a corps buys a section they generally don't pay full price, and they resell them for more than they bought after however long. They keep their horns in good shape, they make money, and other corps and schools have another avenue to purchase equipment.

• 2 weeks later...
Shenandoah Sound is in the key of G with no plans for Bb as of right now, unless we get a humungous influx of horns.

Slight correction to Scott's posting...

We will switch to something other than G when they pry the horn from Tom's cold dead grip!! I too discovered a fabulous King K-20 in our horn collection that I play on now. Much better than the olds and degs we have. More responsive. Freer blowing.