Corps still using key G bugles

A-G

Naval Academy still in G, with Kanstul. The only complaint I have is that the prices go up every year for Kanstuls.... for no apparent reason. I actually priced out a full Yamaha Bb line about a month ago, and the trumpets vs. sopranos seem to be the biggest price difference. About $800 for a Kanstul Powerbore Sop vs. about $1200 for a Yamaha Xeno trumpet. Everything else is comparable, with significant savings buying tubas instead of contras.

Almost made the switch.... but then got control of reality again. I love the sound of G bugles.

Jeff

Raw Material Costs have gone up Almost Double.. Aluminum, Copper, Tin, Brass, Silver.. All at record levels..

Yamaha Makes a great horn, as does Ziggy. But you have to be really anal about maintenance or you'll get let down. The Bach's and Kings aren't so picky, hock a luggy on the valve and keep on playing. Kanstuls and Yamahas don't work well with spit lube.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, many corps are still using G bugles. Do they still use G french horn? I've noticed that no one sells G french horn in Marketplace.

Are you looking? I own two, and one is up for sale, informally (meaning that I have yet to place an ad) and one will never be for sale.

Or were you merely making an observation?

Heh, heh, heh . . . B)

So, many corps are still using G bugles. Do they still use G french horn? I've noticed that no one sells G french horn in Marketplace.

Dream fielded one in 04 (in the middle of the rest of the mellos), and I think Renegades had an acutal G French line last year...

Are you looking? I own two, and one is up for sale, informally (meaning that I have yet to place an ad) and one will never be for sale.

Which one is for sale? I'm looking for one of those P/R long horns. All I currently have is a King K-60 which is supposedly better than most if not all current 3 valve versions in G. Otherwise I'd actually consider buying a new modern horn.

As far as lines. Renegades marched 3 last season that I know of anyway. One of them I marched with in Jr. Corps. One of which was one of the instructors in the same corps at that time. And the other I'm unfamiliar with.

GCS marched one until DCAS Orlando last year, which is when I finally realized I sucked at frenchie and could play 3x's louder with 50% the effort on Mello. I probably would have stuck with frenchie if I was a better player on the horn, and wasn't trying to balance 3 alto voices against 7 strong bari voices.

Now that I'm more familiar with the horn, and have better matched equipment, I may march or try to march frenchie again. But I'm a good Euph player and many corps seem to have a stronger need in that voice.

I'm a King fan myself....G or Bb, doesn't matter to me. Love 'em both. The Kanstuls BD played on from 90-99 couldn't hold a candle to the Kings they played on before. As for Yamaha and Dynasty, not even in the same ballpark as King. Just one guys completely one-sided opinion though.

The DEG is for sale. The King is not. (Heh, heh, heh . . . )

PM me if seriously interested. I have no photos and would have to borrow a digital camera in order to satisfy the curiosity of the "photo collectors/non-buyers" and do not really have a lot of time to do that right now. But if you are looking to buy then I can get something together. I had not really decided to sell just yet, still holding out whether to donate it to my corps.

If you PM me I can send a more detailed description as well as photos (hopefully very soon). Let me know.

Maybe I need to go ahead and post this in the Marketplace section . . . :huh:

Wade

Oh, sure. They are awesome horns.

Too bad they are disgustingly overprived. Most corps can't afford them. Heck, are there ANY corps using Kanstul Bb brass?

Dynasty has great quality for a great price. Kanstul doesn't.

"disgustingly overpriced"?? you are mistaken. you are probably looking at the "list" price for kanstul horns.

Reading Buccaneer Alumni corps still in G. Mostly Dynasty.

I've been playing a long time, since 1964, and I play mostly trumpet in a jazz band. In short, I do a lot of playing and a lot of research and playing on different instruments as a hobby. The bias against most manufacturers is just that; Bias and personal preferences. (I'm not saying there isn't junk out there!)

Dynasty or DEG, I believe, is once again associated with Getzen and I think the instruments for both have always been made by Allied Brass. I think Allied Brass may be owned by Getzen. You would be surprised and maybe willing to reconsider your critique of many of your favorite manufacturers if you knew how many of them used Allied Brass valve assemblies.

Now it's what you attach the valve assembly to that matters. There are difference here. I applaud DEG going back to nickel plated valves. Monel never lived up to it's hype and I find, gums up unless you polish it regularly.

I think Kanstul makes a nice horn and a really sweet cornet. However, the Dynasty, price notwithstanding, is a good horn and their marching brass is also nice. My all time favorite was the F.E. Olds Ultratone. All models. Guess that dates me.

When you hear two corps, one in G and one in Bb, perform one right after the other you can tell the difference in sound and on the field, I think G wins. Definitely projects more. But if all the corps are in Bb...nah, G is better.

Actually Dynasty(deg) horns are made in Brazil by their subsidary Weril. Some of the low brass was made by wilson, but that has moved down to Weril as well. ( I work for a dynasty/deg dealer, and that info is current as of umm feburary.)