Hey, thats not right

Let me put it this way... I would MUCH rather listen to SCV 88-89 than listen to/watch the musical/movie/soundtrack. SCV 89 is so angry sounding, yet so good... How can you resist? So much more power and rage and and and.... You get what I mean.

TOTALLY agree. I'm not a fan of Phantom of the Opera, and the musical does little for me (yes, I've seen it live several times). IMO, watching the video from 1988 and 1989 SCV I feel more emotion than I do watching the musical or whatever of Phantom of the Opera.

I've just never been a fan of that musical, I guess...

--

doug

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have one for both ways:

Loved SCV's scheherazade and I just saw it performed this past weekend. The original is still really good but at times I couldn't get the corps version out of my head.

Hated Boston's arrangement of the Overture to Candide last year. I say they shoulda given some of those fast licks to somebody in the hornline but most of it was covered in the pit.

It's so odd hearing an orchestra play Medea. I love the all brass style of it.

I agree with whoever stated the SCV 89 thing. I enjoy SCV's phantom of the opera much more than the musical.

I tend to only like drum corps arrangements if I hear the piece for the first time ever by them. When I get to know a piece of classical music, and I hear a hacked-to-pieces arrangement of it (which is almost inescapable for corps), I oftentimes don't like it at all, for example, Barber's Adagio.

One big exception would be Phantom's version of Danza Finale from Ginastera's Estancia, though probably only because the changes weren't butcher-like compared to the original.

Edited by LanceSquire

Then I'm curious as to how you can say that they captured the essence of what you essentially thought was a boring and emotionless musical. Your phrasing doesn't make sense to me.

What I said originally:

"Phantom of the Opera just does not sound as good as SCV's arrangements! SCV totally captured the essence of that musical, and to me the original score just seems boring."

and, "I'm not a fan of Phantom of the Opera, and the musical does little for me (yes, I've seen it live several times). IMO, watching the video from 1988 and 1989 SCV I feel more emotion than I do watching the musical or whatever of Phantom of the Opera. "

Never really said it was 'emotionless'

I can understand emotion, meaning, intent, etc. being conveyed in a musical (or any art) without liking said musical. I'm not a fan of the Chicago White Sox, but watching them last season I can appreciate/understand how and why they were so successful last season.

--

doug

I was listening to On The Town and during the Times Sqaure peice I thought "that doesn't sound right" SCV played it differently and better.

Have you ever listened to the orginal and it didn't sound "right" because someone arranged it differently for the field and thats were you heard it first.

oh yeah. 2 years ago my wife and i went to see the Symphony here in Harrisburg, and they played a piece cavies did in 84 i believe. and as we got into the piece, i remember leaning over and telling her the drum corps version was much better.

when i played the cd for her the next day, she agreed :P

For a lot of works, the drum corps version is the one without the repitition. I find that particularly true for works like "Crown Imperial", "Procession of the Nobles", and "Folk Song Suite".

I go the other way with anything Shostakovich. There's usually just too much good stuff to chop into an 11 minute segment.

TOTALLY agree. I'm not a fan of Phantom of the Opera, and the musical does little for me (yes, I've seen it live several times). IMO, watching the video from 1988 and 1989 SCV I feel more emotion than I do watching the musical or whatever of Phantom of the Opera.

I've just never been a fan of that musical, I guess...

--

doug

curious, if you aren't a fan of phantom of the opera and the musical does little for you, how come you've seen it live SEVERAL times? :whistle:

IMHO, the mind set of the original poster on this thread (Please correct me if I've mis-read), is that you get a memory set in your mind of how a tune sounds as it was played by ______________D&B Corps. When you hear that song played in any other context, it goes up against that memory, and doesn't sound the same. You say, in your head, I hope! :whistle: , "Hey, that's not right."

My memory, since I've spent so many years listening to drum corps, is filled with the music as I heard it on the streets or on a football field. I can't help but compare anything I hear with the way a corps played it. Since most of what I listened to was old time dc, so much of the music was popular/familiar/what's the opposite of obscure? Even many of the *classical* pieces were pretty familiar tunes to even the "non" musical people.