Instead of mixing brass and woodwinds...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YES! All Saxes would rule!! We could get the whole family involved. Instrumentation could go like this:

Bb Sopranissimo (sprillo) - 6

Eb Sopranino - 5

C Soprano - 5

Bb Soprano - 5

F Mezzo-Soprano - 1 [i think there's like only one of these in existance anymore anyways...it could be a solo]

Eb Alto - 31

C Melody - 10

Bb Tenor - 15

Eb Bari - 15

Bb Bass - 8

Eb ContraBass - 12

Eb Tubax - 11

Bb Tubax - 11

I think that makes 135. All of the keys clacking is all the percussion they'd need and the horns could be lacquered in black/gold/silver/yellow brass for enough of a color guard effect.

It's a shame that most of the world doesn't get to experience the Mummers every New Years Day. At least no one complains "I think that brass players are being denied an opportunity to march down Broad St. on New Years."

And, actually, that is what they call the sax section of the ensemble: the hornline.

YES! All Saxes would rule!! We could get the whole family involved. Instrumentation could go like this:

Bb Sopranissimo (sprillo) - 6

Eb Sopranino - 5

C Soprano - 5

Bb Soprano - 5

F Mezzo-Soprano - 1 [i think there's like only one of these in existance anymore anyways...it could be a solo]

Eb Alto - 31

C Melody - 10

Bb Tenor - 15

Eb Bari - 15

Bb Bass - 8

Eb ContraBass - 12

Eb Tubax - 11

Bb Tubax - 11

I think that makes 135. All of the keys clacking is all the percussion they'd need and the horns could be lacquered in black/gold/silver/yellow brass for enough of a color guard effect.

WOW...the double reeded ones couldnt march...theyd feel left out. And that wouldnt make for a nice warm fuzzy feeling now would it...lol perfect for drum corps...sorry my monthly dose of camp qoutes are coming back to me.

Wow man, how philisophical of you. You made a brilliant comparison for a touchy subject. I think I see this in a new light. But what i really want to talk about is the structure and rules for this new sax corps organization. One of the major problems that i foresee is reed durability. I think that it may be an expensive investment for the members, as their reeds would break often. Also, would there be regulations on mouthpieces? The heat of the summer would make metal mouthpieces hot and it might burn some mouths. As a drum corps fan, one of the things that i enjoy most is seeing a corp perform even when it is raining. However, saxophonists might complain about the weather because they don't want their instruments to be ruined. One major pro for a sax corps is that it sounds like sex or sexy. George Hopkins' daugher is sexy from what i hear. I'm just throwing some ideas out there for consideration. Bill Cook, are you reading this?

Edited by fzq

*Screams*

*Grabs Bible and cross*

"Heritic!!" "Heritic!!" "Deamon be gone!!"

/Only slightly kidding

//Or is he...?

Edited by Jocko the Wonder Llama

It's a shame that most of the world doesn't get to experience the Mummers every New Years Day. At least no one complains "I think that brass players are being denied an opportunity to march down Broad St. on New Years."

And, actually, that is what they call the sax section of the ensemble: the hornline.

well the day people try and take a unique group like the mummers and change them, you'll hear #####ing