uniforms

The Cadets and Cavaliers (although Cavaliers is practically unnoticable.)

~>conner

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how many corps still have a stripe going down the leg still?

As far as I know, just Cadets now that they're going back to the original style pants for their uniform.

EDIT: Conner reminded me about Cavies black sequin stripe on their pants.

Edited by kevingamin

Yeah. Their first get together was actually at the 1992 finals, believe it or not. I don't know if you remember but they had an alumni corps that made a sneak appearance at the finals retreat.

Wow, no, I don't remember that. Of course, there was a lot going on--it was my first finals and I was trying to take it all in. (That and we had VK to our left, so there were some on-field distractions!)

It is great to know they're still around, in whatever form. I love that so many of these groups are coming back as senior and/ or alumni corps. It's 2006, and I could go be a member of Bridgemen! Sweet!

The Cadets and Cavaliers (although Cavaliers is practically unnoticable.)

~>conner

The Cavaliers' leg stripe went the way of the dinosaur about two or three years ago. They used to be a stripe of black sequins.. and they were a BEAR to apply! Anytime the hem had to be adjusted or the foot elastic broke, we had to replace the WHOLE THING.. (from underarm to end of leg seam).

I can't count the number of machine needles I sacrificed to the sequin Gods.

I think the Cadets got rid of theirs when they went to the new style uniform about two or three years ago, too.

Stef

You know what is funny about this example? Those are the two corps that STILL use a TRADITIONAL "West point Cadet" style uniform modled after the OLD SCHOOL LOOK. nnnNEWSFLASH!!! Those are NOT modern uniforms. Those are old school uniforms and is the SAME style of uniform that BOTH corps were using in the 70s.

Sorry, but that example just backfired on you.

If I remember correctly, President John F. Kennedy had Boston march in his inaugural parade in 1961. He also presented them with new uniforms that were already paid for as they made him a honorary Crusader. Can you guess where the unifroms came from? The United States Military Academy a.k.a. West Point.

The uniforms are very traditional. I personally loved them before I even marched in them.

Boston is all about tradition and I know first hand.

So...back to this...

I will be sure, BTW, do make healthy donations to anyone who has the b#### to start a kilt-wearing drum corps in the 21st century.

You still gonna keep your word? :P

You don't really have to answer that. I'm just messing with you. :)

Some real good thoughts brought up in this thread re: uniforms. Although it may be rare to see one that sticks out from the pack, there certainly are those that do. If there was a way to post just the uniforms that some corps wore throughout the years I'm pretty sure that the majority of true fans can match the corp to the uniform (the real geeks will even tell you the years). :P

But as with all evolution the uni has to enhance the corps' program. I can't imagine doing today's drills with the uniform we wore with Belleville in the mid 70's(ask your pappy about those, kids!) It just wasn't designed for the moves done today. And by the way, although I still think it's one of the best uniforms ever worn on the field, it had its own inherint problems. The wing nut that held the spike to the helmet would somehow always find a way to come loose and start wobbling around on your head; sweat would run down your arms from the heavy wool jacket and accumulate in the gaunlets. (Always a treat when you snapped up your horn!) Oh yeah, the good ol' days. I remember when I went to the Skyliners and felt releived just to wear a shako and plume again! However, this was pre-pit days and I did have to march with my xylo.

Back to the point...still a lot of cool looking uniforms out there.

Wow, no, I don't remember that. Of course, there was a lot going on--it was my first finals and I was trying to take it all in. (That and we had VK to our left, so there were some on-field distractions!)

It is great to know they're still around, in whatever form. I love that so many of these groups are coming back as senior and/ or alumni corps. It's 2006, and I could go be a member of Bridgemen! Sweet!

174835620Pcmxus_th.jpg

This picture is from the 2004 Tour of Champions. I chose 2004 since 2005 was the year of reversable pants. Looks like they still had their stripe.

Last time I remember a Jr electing to go without a cover in Div 1 was 86 VK....92 BD in the closer (but that was for effect), 93 Regiment (same reason), and 96 Nightfire (because, frankly, we couldn't AFFORD headgear!)

In the Srs you have Empire, Renegades, and Govies (and in Govies case -- as was explained to me -- they simply couldn't decide which style to wear!)

you forgot 1988 Bluecoats during take 5